Is there a stock file manager? (files are getting lost)

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I had to email HTC for a copy of the manual and, ironically, I cannot find where it downloaded to on the phone. If I look in the "download" file, it isn't there. I had this issue on the One X (things getting downloaded in a half-dozen different and sometimes hard to find locations) and had to use a file manager. I'm hoping HTC has something better than that but even accessing the manual is becoming a pain. How do I find where the file is hiding without downloading more programs? Thanks.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I had to email HTC for a copy of the manual and, ironically, I cannot find where it downloaded to on the phone. If I look in the "download" file, it isn't there. I had this issue on the One X (things getting downloaded in a half-dozen different and sometimes hard to find locations) and had to use a file manager. I'm hoping HTC has something better than that but even accessing the manual is becoming a pain. How do I find where the file is hiding without downloading more programs? Thanks.

You should have the Polaris Office app, it's a native app, at least on mine. Open it, it has a file browser. You should be able to find the file that way. If not, ES File Explorer is a good third party alternative. While you may not be able to move files as readily with third party file managers on KitKat you can at least still see them.

slb21

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
You should have the Polaris Office app, it's a native app, at least on mine. Open it, it has a file browser. You should be able to find the file that way. If not, ES File Explorer is a good third party alternative. While you may not be able to move files as readily with third party file managers on KitKat you can at least still see them.

Polaris Office was not available on mine...I've got Verizon.

Posted via Android Central App

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I can't seem to find Polaris on my ATT either. Shouldn't there be something that lets me see the filing system?

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I have the unlocked version. It seems the carrier versions got hosed on this one. From reading some of the other threads there seems to be quite a few variations of software between the carriers. You may have to go the third party file manager route with a file manager app to find that file. Like I said ES File Explorer is a good one. I use it and it has no problem seeing the files. Moving files around between internal and external memory, well that a different story now, but you should be able to find the file and open it as long as you have an app that will read it.

techitrucker

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Polaris Office was not available on mine...I've got Verizon.

Should be there. I've got Verizon and have it. Look in app manager and make sure it wasn't accidentally disabled. It won't show up in the app drawer if it was.

Armadillo, the other white meat.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
So Polaris can move/copy/delete files between internal and microSD?
And can transfer image, audio, video, excel, docs, pdfs etc?

I've never tried to do that with Polaris so I'm not sure. I only use it for viewing Word, Excel and PDF files. But it does have a built in file browser function.

fee dee cat

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Should be there. I've got Verizon and have it. Look in app manager and make sure it wasn't accidentally disabled. It won't show up in the app drawer if it was.

I'm a novice new M8 user and I too see Polaris in app mgr drawer, but I can't figure out how to activate it so it shows up in my apps. I too have Vz carrier m8. Can someone give me some instructions. Thx

icenija

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site

Do you have a SD card in your phone and if so did you look on the SD card in the download folder? If you have a SD card you now have 2 download folders one on the card and another on the phone.

Ice

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Do you have a SD card in your phone and if so did you look on the SD card in the download folder? If you have a SD card you now have 2 download folders one on the card and another on the phone.

Ice
Yes, I just installed an SD, but how to I see what's actually in there without hooking up to a PC? I found that the phone has Polaris on it, but I can't figure out how to access it. It's there in app management, but won't appear in the app drawer and I can't create an icon for it. What am I missing here?

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I just installed an SD, but how to I see what's actually in there without hooking up to a PC? I found that the phone has Polaris on it, but I can't figure out how to access it. It's there in app management, but won't appear in the app drawer and I can't create an icon for it. What am I missing here?

Can't see an icon for Polaris in the app drawer, maybe it's hidden for some reason. First do you have folders in your app drawer and if so have you checked them all for Polaris? Second if it's not in a folder in your app drawer, tap the three dot overflow settings near the upper right in the app drawer, select hide/unhide apps, look for it there. If it's been hidden for some reason there will be a check mark beside it, uncheck that and it will then show up in your app drawer.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Can't see an icon for Polaris in the app drawer, maybe it's hidden for some reason. First do you have folders in your app drawer and if so have you checked them all for Polaris? Second if it's not in a folder in your app drawer, tap the three dot overflow settings near the upper right in the app drawer, select hide/unhide apps, look for it there. If it's been hidden for some reason there will be a check mark beside it, uncheck that and it will then show up in your app drawer.
Thanks, but that's the first thing I tried. It's not in the hide/unhide, nor can I search it. Nothing comes up for "Polaris" or even "File" when I search apps. BUT, it is there in the app manager. This is an ATT phone.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, but that's the first thing I tried. It's not in the hide/unhide, nor can I search it. Nothing comes up for "Polaris" or even "File" when I search apps. BUT, it is there in the app manager. This is an ATT phone.

I just checked out the same thing as you. In the app manager but no where to be found. That kinda makes me mad. If you're not gonna make it available to the user, don't waste storage with that ****. Also ATT phone.

I retract some of this because I found it.
But its still pretty hidden. Just use Google search to find it and it should pop up.

slb21

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site

Love your tag line about the Armadillo, techitrucker!!!

I did check the app manager (great suggestion, btw!) and not only was it there (which I was very glad to see), it was not disabled. It does not show up in my app drawer. Any other suggestions?

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I just checked out the same thing as you. In the app manager but no where to be found. That kinda makes me mad. If you're not gonna make it available to the user, don't waste storage with that ****. Also ATT phone.

I retract some of this because I found it.
But its still pretty hidden. Just use Google search to find it and it should pop up.

Thanks! Found it but it's a huge oversight that it's not accessible aside from a Google search. I can't seem to create any shortcut and this is a feature I'd be using several times a day.

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Try a different launcher. They did this on the M7 also so the Car mode app for example doesn't show up in the Sense launcher but it's still installed on the phone and accessible via a different launcher. AT&T likely had them block access to those apps for some reason.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
That's weird, I have the at&t model too and Polaris came on mine.
Is it in your app drawer or are you having to google search it?
Try a different launcher. They did this on the M7 also so the Car mode app for example doesn't show up in the Sense launcher but it's still installed on the phone and accessible via a different launcher. AT&T likely had them block access to those apps for some reason.

A little too extreme a solution for me. I like Sense and I hate installing extra software on my phones. Always ends up slowing them down and bringing about glitches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith