Text Reflow/Auto Resize to Fit Screen - Not With Verizon HTC One (M8)

Dr_Collie

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
This issue has been mentioned a couple of times, but I wanted to see whether anyone thinks there will be a fix.

Text reflow is when you expand text on the screen with your fingers and the column of text automatically is resized to fit the screen rather than being substantially wider than the screen requiring constant side-to-side scrolling to read.

I had the Samsung Galaxy S4 phone. Over the weekend, I upgraded to the HTC One M8 at Best Buy and passed my S4 to a family member who needed a phone because I noticed that Best Buy's display M8 had the HTC stock browser with text reflow. This single feature makes the phone substantially more usable to me than my S4. As soon as the upgrade was completed, however, I found out that my M8 does not permit the use of the HTC browser (it only comes with Chrome) so I didn't get text reflow. My carrier is Verizon, and I quickly figured out that the Verizon version of the M8 does not have the HTC stock browser. However, the AT&T version of the M8 and other carriers have the stock browser (Best Buy had an AT&T phone on display). I called Verizon and HTC tech support and received confirmation that Verizon doesn't offer the stock HTC browser in the M8. On a quick web search, it appears that you can't use the HTC stock browser even if you are willing to root your new M8.

I would not have updated my S4 had I known the HTC stock browser wouldn't be available to mes, and thus I expect I will just return the M8. The HTC One M8 actually has less functionality for me than my Galaxy S4 because Samsung put a limited text reflow functionality in the S4 (hovering + and - buttons that reflow the text a number of steps up or down).

I know the Chrome browser is a good one, but text reflow can be a critical feature depending on your eyesight and reading vision. Compounding the problem, the text on the M8 also seems to be a bit lighter than the S4 (LED vs. AMOLED screen types, perhaps?).

I am not sure why Verizon dropped the HTC stock browser as other carriers offer it and Verizon's prior HTC phones (Thunderbolt, which I had, through the HTC One M7) had it. I imagine this is going to cost HTC sales of the M8 that it needs, and probably will cost Verizon sales as well. I emailed Verizon to ask about using the HTC stock browser, but haven't heard back.

Before returning the M8 (which I otherwise like), I wanted to take time to ask whether anyone has any further insight into use of the HTC stock browser with the Verizon M8 or heard any indications that Verizon might remedy the situation.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: Text Reflow/Auto Resize to Fit Screen - Not With Verizon M8

Mine reflows really well, much faster and more intelligently than my One X did. BUT, I did find that I need to tap on the actual subject. If I tap on a blank area like I'm used to doing, I get no action. But, tapping on the actual item I want to zoom on, the screen zooms and the text re-flows nicely. That may or may not help but it's my experience so far with the ATT M8 and non-stock browsers.

Dr_Collie

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site

Bowie,

Are you on AT&T or Verizon.

I still can't find anything suggesting that the text reflow will be fixed. It seems unfair to HTC to lose sales over something they originally put in the phone due to carrier override.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site

Bowie,

Are you on AT&T or Verizon.

I still can't find anything suggesting that the text reflow will be fixed. It seems unfair to HTC to lose sales over something they originally put in the phone due to carrier override.
ATT. I'm wondering if I just don't understand what you're saying but if I zoom on text, it enlarges and flows to fit the screen. It's exceptional at it and I have been loving how much easier it is for me because I use desktop view in my browsers.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm on ATT and I do have the HTC browser. Att also hid an app, polaris office. Its not in the apps list but it is in the apps manager in settings. I say hid because I used Google search for polaris office and it popped right up. Could you try that on your phone for the HTC browser? And other apps that Verizon didn't include? It may not work but you never know. And check if they are in the app manager in settings.

Edit: just to clarify, the Google search widget which can search for apps.

Dr_Collie

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site

ATT. I'm wondering if I just don't understand what you're saying but if I zoom on text, it enlarges and flows to fit the screen. It's exceptional at it and I have been loving how much easier it is for me because I use desktop view in my browsers.

This is exactly what I am missing with the Verzion version of the phone.

katoc

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site

I'm on Verizon and have been using Opera browser, which handles the reflow seamlessly.

Posted via Android Central App

Dr_Collie

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site

I'm on ATT and I do have the HTC browser. Att also hid an app, polaris office. Its not in the apps list but it is in the apps manager in settings. I say hid because I used Google search for polaris office and it popped right up. Could you try that on your phone for the HTC browser? And other apps that Verizon didn't include? It may not work but you never know. And check if they are in the app manager in settings.

Edit: just to clarify, the Google search widget which can search for apps.

Thanks for the thoughts, but I couldn't find the browser. There is a lot there that you don't normally see.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the thoughts, but I couldn't find the browser. There is a lot there that you don't normally see.

OK thanks for looking.
You probably know this bit its called internet, just making sure thats what you searched for.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

mysterygirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

I'd suggest trying one of the many browsers on the Play store before giving up on the phone. I'm certain there are plenty that do what you want. Someone already suggested Opera.

Posted via Android Central App

Dr_Collie

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site

Thanks all for all of your help. I found this article just now - [Bug Watch] Text Reflow Removed From WebViews In KitKat, Probably Not Coming Back - which guesses it may be part of Google's attempt to force developers towards the mobile market. I am not sure I understand that opinion; I would think text reflow would be a benefit to mobile. At any rate, as the article and katoc point out, Opera still has the feature but you have to enable it in the settings menu.

It is working fine for me, at least for now as it sounds like it isn't a Google-favored feature. Hopefully Google will recognize the usefulness of the feature and put a great version in Chrome.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site

How do I use this? Just click on the link, or is more required? Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Yes click the link, there's an attachment in the second post. Click that and it should download the browser. Should be able to then install the browser.

Dr_Collie

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site

Yes click the link, there's an attachment in the second post. Click that and it should download the browser. Should be able to then install the browser.

Thanks, I will give it a try tomorrow.

I appreciate everyone's time and help!

Dr_Collie

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site

[Q] HTC Sense Stock Browser APK Request - xda-developers

Give this a try.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

So far, it downloads but won't install. I tried a couple of times. I checked the box in the security setting to let apps from unknown sources install. I saw another thread on those forums where someone said the file wouldn't work on a rooted Verizon M8? Thanks.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site

So far, it downloads but won't install. I tried a couple of times. I checked the box in the security setting to let apps from unknown sources install. I saw another thread on those forums where someone said the file wouldn't work on a rooted Verizon M8? Thanks.

Then it probably needs to be put into the system partition for it to work since you can't just install it. Sorry about that. Worth the try though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey