Trying to decide between the Galaxy S5 and HTC One (M8)

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Really can't make up my mind. I was set on the S5 until today I went to trade me iPhone 4S in at Verizon for 200 bucks. Played with the M8, and I really liked the look and feel. My only main concerns were the battery, which from what I read from reviews isn't bad at all. And the camera, the camera I don't take a lot of photos from far away so I don't think it'd be a huge issue for me..Would like some thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: Trying to decide between the S5 and M8

For myself, after having an aluminum phone it'll be hard to switch. Such a nice feel. Admittedly I have the M7 but it's been a such a nice phone in most every respect although I could use more juice at times. Sounds like the M8 has improved the battery though.

Two really nice phones...

Sent from my EVO using AC Forums mobile app

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

If you don't take many pictures, and you like how the phone acts and feels, then I would say go for it.

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site

I mean I do take photos, not trying to take professional looking photos though. More like I'm about and about and just want to snap a picture of something. I'm coming from an iPhone 4S. So is it at least as good or better than that?

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site

The M8s photos look pretty good to me so far. And the great thing about then is the speed you can capture at, plus the great depth features. But the S5 looks really nice too... Toss a coin?!

If you go clubbing and out at night and watch sports get the M8, if you like the great outdoors, the beach and doing stuff during the day get the S5. Oh, and don't walk past the Sony display...

Posted via Android Central App

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

The M8s photos look pretty good to me so far. And the great thing about then is the speed you can capture at, plus the great depth features. But the S5 looks really nice too... Toss a coin?!

If you go clubbing and out at night and watch sports get the M8, if you like the great outdoors, the beach and doing stuff during the day get the S5. Oh, and don't walk past the Sony display...

Ended with great advice there lol

chowdog13

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site

I would wholly recommend the HTC One M8. You will not be disappointed, battery life is superb.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site

Really can't make up my mind. I was set on the S5 until today I went to trade me iPhone 4S in at Verizon for 200 bucks. Played with the M8, and I really liked the look and feel. My only main concerns were the battery, which from what I read from reviews isn't bad at all. And the camera, the camera I don't take a lot of photos from far away so I don't think it'd be a huge issue for me..Would like some thoughts?

If your concerns are battery and camera then the S5 is the only choice. Seriously, no comparison between the two with battery and camera. Plus the S5 has a bigger and better screen while being more compact. I had the M8 and liked it but the S5 is a much better choice.

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site

All I can say about the cameras is three times I have walked into an at&t store and checked out both the M8 and the S4. Transferred pictures from both to my phone using bluetooth. Came home and downloaded to my computer. All three times the S4 did not focus very well. It may be because the picture are taken in the store because I can't take the phone outside. On the S4 I would say about 1 out of 4 would focus and on the M8 about 1 out of 5 did not focus. Both set for normal mode. When the S4 did focus I could see a little more detail when zooming in but not that much more because of the number of MP the S4 has. I would rather have the camera that was more reliable and got the picture than worry about more MP and not get the picture. So for me it would be the M8.

YouDunKnowMeh

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site

I'd get M8.
The build is superb, looks outclass S5 by far. The camera sharpness is pretty good and the screen is really beautiful. You get a microSD card now too, so that removes another advantage for Samsung from the last generation.

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site

S5 has KNOX and a locked bootloader.
M8 has S-Off to unlock bootloader already.
You will never see an S5 with an unlocked bootloader.

If that matters to you, M8.

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site

There is no unlock for the S4 on Verizon and the S5 will be even worse. Samsung sings bootloaders with SHA256. No way to crack using brute force. If you want ROMs don't buy Samsung.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site

Recent tests out the One M8 battery life as one of the best all time Android phones, and better than the new S5, by a hair.

Bottom line the One M8 has better battery life than the S5 period. Not by much, but at least its not worse, or just the sane, but actually a hair better.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Just an fyi. It's been reported by people who have received their s5's, that you will not be able to use the fingerprint scanner to unlock the phone one handed. You have to hold your finger perfectly vertical and completely flat. Imo, you can take the functionality of that feature off the list of pros for the s5

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Saw the reviews on the S5's finger print scanner. LOL Seriously? The only upside is that it's compatible with PayPal.

Do it right or don't do it at all. Thank God, hTc didn't bother with the Touch ID.

I got ripped for this but seriously if you want the S5, just buy the S4 and save a few bucks but If you like the way a phone looks and feels shouldn't that be enough? As for the Battery, what Super Phone recently released doesn't last at least 12 hours, my nexus 5 has no problems and it's only 2300mAh.

bryanmsi

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
I just made this choice myself. coming from the Samsung Galaxy S4 Active, I expected the GS5 to be a slam dunk. Instead, I was very disappointed to see than Samsung has jumped the (plastic) shark. Big time.

The news GS5 looks and feels spectacularly cheap in a way that the GS4 never did. The pulse sensor is a gimmick, and the fingerprint scanner is rubbish. The fingerprint sensor alone should be enough to show anyone what Samsung thinks of it's users. Or rather, what it doesn't think of it's users.

The HTC One M8 on the other hand is a piece of functional art. I have never seen a phone, including iPhones, as well crafted and beautiful as the M8. Its just stunning to look and feels great in the hand. Even better, HTC did as good with android utself. It's smooth and fluid and just works flawlessly. No touchwiz here.

For me, the choice was easy...

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
The only reason I would get an S5 is if you take a lot of landscape pictures, need your phone to be water resistant, or you need a removable battery. Other than that, the m8 is much better in every way. Sense is much cleaner, the build is incredible, and it comes with 32gb storage over the 16gb in the S5.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci