Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HTC One Battery Problem

Okay, so I got the new HTC One on the 28th of March. And I loved it, it has an incredible battery life. For a while I could go easily throughout the day on a single charge. Even one time I didn't charge for two days, which I was never able to do on previous smartphones. But, yesterday I started having a problem with my battery. This started happening almost randomly. My battery was draining much faster, and losing about 5-6 percent per hour with no use. Previously I would lose maybe less than 1 percent battery per hour without use.

I had believed to have found the problem yesterday, with Google Play services using a crazy amount of battery like 55% on my app usage under battery settings. So I did a bunch of things to try and troubleshoot the problem and ended up force stopping, clearing data, etc. This was before I went to bed and I hoped this would work. This morning I got up and battery usage was still the same, at about 5-6 percent standby, and draining quickly still. Except now it was saying under settings in my battery usage the problem was android system, which was using 70% of battery, and as time has progressed battery life has stayed bad, and Google PLay Services battery usage has increased as well. I am a little perplexed as to why this is happening, but if any of you could give me some help, that would be greatly appreciated!

Have you rebooted your phone?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: HTC One Battery Problem

Quote Originally Posted by mchockeyvette27 View Post
    Have you rebooted your phone?
    Yes, I have.

Quote Originally Posted by connorp12 View Post
    Yes, I have.
    And after that, after a full charge it still has high usage?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Honestly, I wouldn't go based off of the usage stats in the settings. Right now I'm having no problems with battery and Google services and android system are the top two "culprits".
    And this is my usage:

You may have a rogue app sucking away your battery. Was there an app that you downloaded right before you started noticing this?

Turn off HTC sync under accounts & sync and see if that does the trick.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Okay, thanks for the help, I still have high usage after 2 reboots. I guess it couldn't have anything to do with android system and google play servcies in my settings, but I am just basing it of that because of just random battery drain. And also having a number like 70% for android system seemed a little suspect. The only app I downloaded was Words with Friends but the problem didn't start happening until the next day and several hours later, and I have un-downloaded it. The only HTC related items I have under sync is HTC weather, which I have enabled.

Okay, thanks for the help, I still have high usage after 2 reboots. I guess it couldn't have anything to do with android system and google play servcies in my settings, but I am just basing it of that because of just random battery drain. And also having a number like 70% for android system seemed a little suspect. The only app I downloaded was Words with Friends but the problem didn't start happening until the next day and several hours later, and I have un-downloaded it. The only HTC related items I have under sync is HTC weather, which I have enabled.
    I read in another thread that someone had a problem with the weather widget draining battery and they turned off auto sync for it and rebooted and they were fine. Maybe try that.
    tippmann15 likes this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by mchockeyvette27 View Post
    I read in another thread that someone had a problem with the weather widget draining battery and they turned off auto sync for it and rebooted and they were fine. Maybe try that.
    Okay I appreciate your help, I am trying that out.
    mchockeyvette27 likes this.

Global Posts
    179 Global Posts

Long shot but words with friends was doing the same thing on my iphone 5 a few months back. I imagine since your playing with people it consistently connects to data to look for "updates" to the other person making a move.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Okay I have tried all of these suggestions and am still having a large battery drain. I have used my phone for nothing but texts for about the past hour and a half and battery has dropped almost 13 percent.

Global Posts
    179 Global Posts

Okay I have tried all of these suggestions and am still having a large battery drain. I have used my phone for nothing but texts for about the past hour and a half and battery has dropped almost 13 percent.
    I would do a hard reset on the phone again and not install anything and maybe not even sign into your google account and let the phone sit there and check to see if it does the same. If it does it could be a hardware defect.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by jev425 View Post
    I would do a hard reset on the phone again and not install anything and maybe not even sign into your google account and let the phone sit there and check to see if it does the same. If it does it could be a hardware defect.
    Yeah but up until yesterday the battery life has been great. Would it make sense for it to be a hardware defect or would it have been bad from when I first got the phone?

Global Posts
    179 Global Posts

Yeah but up until yesterday the battery life has been great. Would it make sense for it to be a hardware defect or would it have been bad from when I first got the phone?
    It really depends. I have had phones where they are fine for a few weeks to a month then suddenly something goes wrong or stops working. You could keep diagnosing in different ways until you find whats wrong or return it for a new phone depending where you got it.

Anytime I've experienced above normal battery drain it's always either been an app gone rogue or a sync issue. If you've ruled out an app problem, have you tried turning off syncing for all your accounts to see if the battery drain subsides? My exchange account is notorious for causing sync problems, especially with the calendar, on previous phones.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Okay I did a factory reset, and it seems to be working fine now battery wise. But, should this be reason for concern to come up again for me. I do not want to have to constantly be messing with resets etc.

Global Posts
    179 Global Posts

Sounds like it's more than likely not a hardware issue, but a software. I guess you could install one app at a time and after each install keep an eye on the battery?

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

I have had issues like this after various app updates. What I do now is not reset the phone but disable the latest updated apps. The apps still exist on the phone bu no longer run. More than likely the problem will go away. Re-enable them one by one until the problem reappears. You will find the culprit. I try not to get too far behind on my updates since if this type of problem occurs, it makes it all that much more difficult to troubleshoot.

Default Re: HTC One Battery Problem overlayed on top of the recent "Snitching" reports

A few days ago there was this article that interested me since I am the person responsible for maintaining my g/f's M8:
    The article title was "Your Android phone is a SNITCH: Wi-Fi bug makes you easy to track" >> Pasted from Your Android phone is a SNITCH: Wi-Fi bug makes you easy to track • The Register
    So, I went to work familiarizing myself further with her M8. There were a few things that looked awful peculiar about the default set up of her M8.
    Although she is a T-Mobile customer with their 3GB data plan, I set out to change a few advanced settings, so that we can maximize her M8 battery life, while minding the above "snitching" caution. The first thing that I did was to set her WiFi up, so that when she is in the vicinity of my WiFi connection (no SSID broadcast and MAC filtering enabled w/WPA-PSK (TKIP)/WPA2-PSK (AES) authentication) in the house, it takes precedence over using her T-Mobile data plan. Next, I set her M8, so that the WiFi-based M8 location broadcast is ONLY enabled when she is connected to the wall. There are about 4 different "IF" situations in this setup and until such time that the 'snitching' problem is resolved, it is the best compromise that I could come up with the compromise being that she only broadcasts location when NOT on battery power and most definitely WiFI is used over T-Mobile data connection as the primary preference (even for call connectivity (Outgoing/incoming)). This setup was selected not to save money on her T-Mobile data plan but in the hopes to make her M8 a bit more secure, in the interim.
    I hope this makes sense for those who read this and I hope my rationalization of the mitigating issues are not totally flawed!

This worked for me. This is from HTC Customer support. Let's do a Wipe Cache Partition, Sometimes this kind of issues come up after an update it's most commonly caused by files being left behind from the update process, Don't you worry This process won't erase the information you have on your device. To fix this, First, please go to Settings >"Power" or "Battery", > "Fast Boot" turn it off or uncheck it. Once that's done, go ahead and fully shut down the phone to start the process. Thank you, once the device is off, please go ahead and hold in the Volume Down key and the power key at the same time for a few seconds. Continue holding the Volume Down until you get to an "HBOOT" screen with 3 android guys at the bottom. Once in there, use the volume keys to go down to "Recovery" option, then press the power button once to select it. Finally, You'll be taken to a screen with a picture of a Battery with a "!" icon in it. Once there please hold the Volume Up key and press the Power key once for just a second, then let go, you will see another menu, go down (using the Volume Keys again) to "Wipe Cache Partition" option and press once the power key to select it. Once it's complete, choose the option to "Reboot System Now" and the phone will start back up. The Cache Wipe is complete.
    evansu likes this.

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

T

Posted via Android Central App

Great info, thanks!

It seems like there is a lot of problem with HTC's batteries.

I got my brand new m7 about a week ago. It was shutting down on about 30%, weird.
    Then I noticed that when i charged my phone fully and then rebooted the phone, it showed 70%. So before reboot 100%, after reboot 70%.
    Anybody who is facing with this issue do this:
    1. reboot in safe mode --> recovery --> clear cache --> reboot the phone (it should still show ~70%)
    2. turn off the phone
    3. put it on the charger
    Now you should charge the phone to 100% while it's turned off. Then remove the cable and turn on. If it shows 100% you are good to go.
    I also did a factory reset, but i'm not sure if it is required step in the process. I don't want to test it out because of obvious reasons