M8 or M8 (GPE)???

WildCatBBN3

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I would like to know. What's the difference between the M8 & the M8 (GPE)??? I'm interested in the phone but I would like to know the advantages of the M8 and the GPE version. My reasoning for not knowing this is becuz I will becoming from iPhone. Also I take a lot of videos and pics of my children. I've heard a lot of good things and bad things. The battery is another concern. How long does it last??? I've researched this phone and I love it. But I'd like to hear reviews for people who actually own the phone not people just doing their job or hobby. Thanks and I appreciate ur input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

khughes6

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I have the m8 with sense and love it. It has been a while since I've seen vanilla Android (GPE) however i have heard rave reviews for the actual phone app on the nexus 5.

Posted via the One successor to the One

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
The simplest way to look at the difference between them is - the regular M8 is android with added features (software add ons) from HTC and a modified OS, while the GPE version is stock (vanilla) android, a blank slate if you will. Lots of people prefer stock android for its simplicity and speed because it's not weighed down with added features and software. While others prefer the manufacturer's versions because of the added features and the additional software. The GPE versions usually get OS updates quicker because they don't have to go through the carriers.

If the camera is important and it sounds like it is to you, the regular M8 would be a better choice IMHO. The camera software from HTC on the regular M8 is loaded with features for taking and editing pictures that you will not get with the GPE version.

Battery life on the phone is outstanding. Spend some time reading the threads in this forum to get a feel for what to expect from the M8. It's a great phone.

WildCatBBN3

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
The simplest way to look at the difference between them is - the regular M8 is android with added features (software add ons) from HTC and a modified OS, while the GPE version is stock (vanilla) android, a blank slate if you will. Lots of people prefer stock android for its simplicity and speed because it's not weighed down with added features and software. While others prefer the manufacturer's versions because of the added features and the additional software. The GPE versions usually get OS updates quicker because they don't have to go through the carriers.

If the camera is important and it sounds like it is to you, the regular M8 would be a better choice IMHO. The camera software from HTC on the regular M8 is loaded with features for taking and editing pictures that you will not get with the GPE version.

Battery life on the phone is outstanding. Spend some time reading the threads in this forum to get a feel for what to expect from the M8. It's a great phone.

Thanks I appreciate it.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

Actually Phil here did a review of the gpe and most of the features, including the duo camera are still present on the gpe. You may not get everything that the sense version has, but you still get all the core features of the camera.

Also I'll add to the op, Sense is designed and optimized for the specific hardware in the m8. They had Sense in mind when they built this phone, not stock Google. While it will still work just fine, I don't think it's going to be as 'optimized' as well as Sense. Then again I've never used a gpe m8, so this is just my own speculation

Posted via Android Central App

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
sense enhances android in a lot of ways.

if you are going to spend the $$ best get the unlocked version.

most people don't care about the pure android experience they just want a cheap, value phone (nexus). proof is that the GPE of any branded phone sell extremely poorly.

edit: you will get faster android updates with the GPE edition, but the unlocked version doesn't fall far behind either in terms of speedy updates. its the carrier branded phones that takes ages to receive updates.

WildCatBBN3

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
sense enhances android in a lot of ways.

if you are going to spend the $$ best get the unlocked version.

most people don't care about the pure android experience they just want a cheap, value phone (nexus). proof is that that GPE of any branded phones sell extremely poorly.

I like HTC a lot I had them back in the day. No offense to Samsung users just don't care for them. I am probably just pick up the M8 when I switch to T-Mobile when it's released Friday.

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
ya but if you are going to purchase the unlocked version best get it straight from HTC, not T-Mobile.

edit: ugh, actually maybe not... they use different bands.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Actually Phil here did a review of the gpe and most of the features, including the duo camera are still present on the gpe. You may not get everything that the sense version has, but you still get all the core features of the camera.

The GPE uses the standard Google camera app for taking the images, it's pretty basic (same as on my Nexus 5). You would lose the benefit of the extensive manual controls offered in the HTC version not to mention the really cool dual camera mode for capturing those moments "with" the kids. The carry over from the HTC Sense version is post image editing, so in that respect you're correct.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
The GPE uses the standard Google camera app for taking the images, it's pretty basic (same as on my Nexus 5). You would lose the benefit of the extensive manual controls offered in the HTC version not to mention the really cool dual camera mode for capturing those moments "with" the kids. The carry over from the HTC Sense version is post image editing, so in that respect you're correct.

Watch the video, you do indeed get the duo camera function in the gpe version

http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-one-m8-google-play-edition-unboxing-and-hands

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
No I'll get the android version from T-Mobile

whatever tickles your fancy..

not sure why you think the "android version" is superior but sense has been praised for being light and modern... unlike other ROMs.

if anything, those new lock screen gestures on the M8 look quite useful. you might want to find out if the GPE version supports those gestures if you plan on using them.

and yes, you can always hack your phone and remove Sense and your warranty if you so desire at a later date.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Watch the video, you do indeed get the duo camera function in the gpe version

HTC One M8 Google Play edition unboxing and hands-on | Android Central

"Dual Camera" capture mode... Two images in one using the rear facing camera and the front facing camera
Not to mention no Zoe's on the GPE...just saying you lose some of the software benefits found on the HTC Sense version
Yes I know the duo camera still functions for post image editing

WildCatBBN3

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
whatever tickles your fancy..

not sure why you think the "android version" is superior but sense has been praised for being light and modern... unlike other ROMs.

if anything, those new lock screen gestures on the M8 look quite useful. you might want to find out if the GPE version supports those gestures if you plan on using them.

and yes, you can always hack your phone and remove Sense and your warranty if you so desire at a later date.

The GPE doesn't support those functions. That's why I'm gonna get the android version.

WildCatBBN3

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
"Dual Camera" capture mode... Two images in one using the rear facing camera and the front facing camera
Not to mention no Zoe's on the GPE...just saying you lose some of the software benefits found on the HTC Sense version

What exactly is Zoe???

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

You're right, no zoes. You do lose features but the main camera feature, the duo camera, still functions normally.

Zoes (short for zoetrope) are these little videos that you shoot, and then you can go through each frame and pull out individual images. On last year's One (m7) you had a 3 second limit, but this year's version you can take unlimited Zoes. They are really cool and very useful. Plus the Zoes are animated in the gallery app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alastair