Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By snaqvi91
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How is it at night in pitch dark?

Most of us probably use our phones while trying to fall asleep at night. Some screens are too bright even at the lowest brightness setting. My iPhone 5 is dim enough to be comfortable in pitch dark. How does the M8 fare? I'm guessing the S5 has a significant advantage in this area with its AMOLED display?

Default Re: How is it at night in pitch dark?

It's not great. S5 is supposedly real good. But I downloaded an app called Screen Dimmer that works well (although it doesn't dim the on-screen buttons.

It's the first phone I've had where the auto-dim actually works at night. I'm extremely sensitive to bright light in my eyes and usually have my phones set between 0 and 5% while reading in bed. This one has been very kind on my eyes so far. I can leave it brighter than normal, without pain.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks for the replies! If someone has multiple phones like the M8 and S5 and 5s could you post a picture of the phones next to each other in pitch dark and at 0% brightness?

There are apps that let you go below minimum brightness
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by pootyash View Post
    There are apps that let you go below minimum brightness
    Yah but I feel they degrade video quality/clarity. I do it on my Nexus 7 2012 (which is quite bright) and the video doesnt look good.

Even if someone posts pics, different screens are going to be more harsh or more gentle on the eyes when you see them in person, so it's not a very helpful comparison. You have to see them for yourself. For me, the brightness at zero is darker than I'd ever need but everything is still intelligible because this screen has a pretty fair white balance. Some screens go for a "cooler" tone and can be really irritating, even when they are darker.

Check out PhoneArena's comparison:
    Samsung Galaxy S5 vs HTC One (M8)
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Thanks so much! The PhoneArena 'vs' series give just the right comparison of displays that I was looking for. This is awesome!
    pootyash likes this.