Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By blackdogAC
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Music on SD Card

I'm trying to put my music on my 64 GB class 10 PNY card. Regardless of if I do it threw computer to SD or Computer threw phone to SD it either Dismounts SD or there is an error. I tried making the folder "Music" and "Media". It doesn't matter. I know the card is good it works on my GS4. And I'm fairly certain I have KitKat on the GS4 so what's the deal.
    Sometimes it appears to work. I'll see the music in the music app but when I try to play it dismounts the SD card. My camera is saving to the SD fine. How do I put my music (and pictures) on the SD card. Internal memory is about 20 GB short of clearing music space alone so SD is required.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Music on SD Card

Just guessing...
    Try backing up the files on the card to PC hard drive or DVD.
    Then format the card in the M8.
    Then add the files back.
    icenija likes this.

Haven't tried music yet but I put 22gb of pictures on a 64gb card and no issues.

4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by blackdogAC View Post
    Just guessing...
    Try backing up the files on the card to PC hard drive or DVD.
    Then format the card in the M8.
    Then add the files back.
    I tried formating the card in my m8 with the m8 before and after error. Once it dismounts it won't take till a hard format is done.
    As soon as I click thumbs of pics I drop from PC using the M8 gallery the SD dismounts. Where did you put the pictures in the SD card? "Folder Name"

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenR86 View Post
    I tried formating the card in my m8 with the m8 before and after error. Once it dismounts it won't take till a hard format is done.
    As soon as I click thumbs of pics I drop from PC using the M8 gallery the SD dismounts. Where did you put the pictures in the SD card? "Folder Name"

I usually just create new folders on the SD card for whatever I'm putting on the card, generally the folder name isn't important (the apps will find the files that they can read) but I use names corresponding to their contents - Music for audio files, Movies for video and Pictures for images. I almost always unmount and eject the SD card and connect it directly to my computer to transfer files.

I have more than 7,000 images, over 100 videos and lots of music on my SD card and have no issues with the M8 reading any of the files. Once the SD card is formatted using the M8 you should see two native folders on the card, android and lost dir - you will also see a dcim folder if you're using the external SD card as storage for images captured by the camera, don't put anything in those folders.

I used iSyncr to transfer all my music(5,000+ songs)from my computer to phone. it asked if i wanted to save to sd card. i said yes. no problems-
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

OK so I tried formating the SD Card with the M8 and it made a new folder "mobile". Inside "mobile" are two folders, "music" and "gallery". I put the name appropriate file types in the folders and it works fine. Idk why the M8 didn't make this " mobile" folder before, or if I did something wrong but there it is. Thanks for the help people.
    Oh BTW after I formated the SD card with the M8 it added the following folders. _nero_sync, mobile, My Documents. When it loaded the formated SD Card it made a folder called Android.

I thought Google was suppressing OEMs ability to have music players play music stored on SD cards. Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by CollegePartyBoy View Post
    I thought Google was suppressing OEMs ability to have music players play music stored on SD cards. Am I wrong?
    Oh, please...what's next?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

OK so this brand new class 10 64 GB card is messing up. It just started dismounting today. Although it still plays the music on it. It just wont store to the sd card anymore. I called HTC. They said HTC phones "do not support any higher then class 6, 10 is for cameras not phones."
    Correction it doesn't read the SD at all. The music was internal.

Last edited by WarrenR86; 04-12-2014 at 07:46 AM.