What do you use to browse your PC from your HTC One M8?

yuppicide

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Could someone tell me what they use to browse media on their Android phone that is stored on their PC? Pictures, music, and video.

What settings do you use?

I have a D-Link DIR-825 Wireless N router. I previously had an HTC Evo V and now have the HTC One M8. On my PC I run Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit.

My PC is more than capable of handling anything I throw at it.. AMD FX-8350 Processor (4Ghz, 8 core), Samsung 840 Pro SSD, Radeon 7850 video card, 24GB memory, and 2TB external storage.

I tried ES File Explorer. I added a network connection. I gave it my IP, my domain, and my login and password. I am within 5 feet away from my computer most of the time.

So, sometimes it works. Not too bad on speed.

Other times it doesn't work at all. The drive letters will show up, I click one and it never loads.

Any suggestions?

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Could someone tell me what they use to browse media on their Android phone that is stored on their PC? Pictures, music, and video.

What settings do you use?

I have a D-Link DIR-825 Wireless N router. I previously had an HTC Evo V and now have the HTC One M8. On my PC I run Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit.

My PC is more than capable of handling anything I throw at it.. AMD FX-8350 Processor (4Ghz, 8 core), Samsung 840 Pro SSD, Radeon 7850 video card, 24GB memory, and 2TB external storage.

I tried ES File Explorer. I added a network connection. I gave it my IP, my domain, and my login and password. I am within 5 feet away from my computer most of the time.

So, sometimes it works. Not too bad on speed.

Other times it doesn't work at all. The drive letters will show up, I click one and it never loads.

Any suggestions?

Have you looked at Plex?

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...l=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.plex.tv%2F&token=T4L4pyLD

yuppicide

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Plex looks too complicated and after trying it, it seems like total crap. I just want to connect to my PC and browse files. Not have some other program screw things up by trying to "manage" my stuff. That's why I don't own any Apple products because iTunes ALWAYS ****s up names of bands/songs, etc.

So here's what happened. Plex was $4.99 for Android, so I installed Amazon Appstore which I don't want, just to get Plex for .99 cents. So, then I have to install Plex on my PC. I hate crap running in the background. Whatever I installed it.

I added two libraries one for my movies/television and one for mp3. Now what? Here's what happned so far:

I opened Plex on my phone and signed in. Under Music there's nothing. Why is there nothing? I own a lot of music.

Under Television there's stuff I don't even recognize or own! Plex called one TV show B Gata H Kei? The story about a sexually inexperienced school girl Japanamation? I don't even watch Japanamation! So, it adds artwork and episode list to every one.. I decide to open one of them up.. it's Hardcore Pawn show lol.

So, then another show it calls N Z. It says there are 20 seasons to it. What show has 20 seasons? I open Season 20 and it's some heavy metal band live show. I open another thing in Season 20.. it's the Syfy show Sharknado. Now I open Season 5 of this N Z thing and it's Shark Tank. I open Season 1 and what do I find? Old video game TV show Starcade.

I'm done with it. Only had it a 5 or so minutes. I want my 99 cents back. I hope this thing isn't messing with my hard drive.. I have 2GB of well sorted television shows and music.

I also couldn't figure out how to add pictures to Plex. I don't want it to search for my pictures.. I have a crapload of directories scattered all over. It's better that I just browse to something and view a picture.

The only positive thing I can say is Plex did play the shows that were there, quickly, and with no problems. I just had no idea what the heck I was opening.

Last edited: