Quick Charge 2.0

CollegePartyBoy

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm surprised there is not more talk about this. I suppose it's because the phone did not ship with a 2.0 charger. However, I bought one on Amazon and Wow is it amazingly fast!!

chowdog13

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I didn't know they began selling them. Roughly how much faster would you say it charged, or have you not compared them?

Posted via Android Central App

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
HTC hasn't released them yet, but you can use any 2a wall charger and the phone will charge with quickcharge 2.0

khughes6

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Can you affirm whether the block or USB portion is what makes the charger quickcharge 2.0 compatible?

Posted via the One successor to the One

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Can you affirm whether the block or USB portion is what makes the charger quickcharge 2.0 compatible?

It's the processor that chooses either quickcharge 1.0 or 2.0. You have to have a wall unit that outputs at 2a and your processor will enable the quickcharge. You might need a specific cable too, but I can't confirm this

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I have a 2 amp charger in my car and at home. The difference in charging speed while notcible isn't as fast as I thought.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

nima1991

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Anyone have a link to the product (Amazon or otherwise)?

How much faster is it really? I mean, the battery life is already really good on this thing, but a quicker charge would serve me well.

khughes6

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
It's the processor that chooses either quickcharge 1.0 or 2.0. You have to have a wall unit that outputs at 2a and your processor will enable the quickcharge. You might need a specific cable too, but I can't confirm this

Thanks! I understand the processor is capable. Just curious about the accessories part because I need a new car charger and just want to ensure if I'm spending money it's on a setup that will provide quickcharge 2.0. I my opinion it will be most beneficial in a 10-20 min car ride when I will not be using my phone anyways.

jev425

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site

Actually I believe the output 1.5A or 2A supports quickcharge 1.0 but the actual wall charger has to have quick charge "2.0" compatibility so that both the chip inside the phone and the chip inside the charger know to use "2.0" as the charging speed. The amps a charger outputs doesn't have to do with the quick charge technology. For example a phone that has 800 chip or higher will charge in "1.0" mode regardless of what amps the charger is because to charge in "1.0" only the phone chip is needed but for the phone to charge in "2.0" mode the phone and charger have to have the "2.0" mode compatibility chips inside of them.

http://www.qualcomm.com/media/blog/2013/02/20/qualcomm-quick-charge-20-less-time-charging-more-time-doing

Last edited:

elcano

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
According to this press release:
...detects commands from a Quick Charge 2.0-enabled device, and adjusts the output voltage of the AC-DC wall charger to deliver increased power to the device?s battery through a standard USB cable
So, looks like the trick is increasing wattage by raising the voltage beyond the 5.0 USB standard. This is reasonable, as going beyond 2 Amps is pretty harsh on those tiny USB cables. That same article says that their reference chip can output 5, 9 and 12 volts at max 2 Amps. 12x2=24 watts. This is nice.

Moreover, this other press release says that the standard supports up to 60 watts. This is pretty awesome. This means raising the voltage to 30V if you wanna stay at 2 Amps, or 20V if you raise it up to 3 Amps. I don't think they would dare to use 15V/4A - that would be too much current for the tiny cables.

Here it says about wall chargers to be released in early 2014. However, where I really need speed charging is in my car. I cannot find anything about car adapters.

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
According to this press release:

So, looks like the trick is increasing wattage by raising the voltage beyond the 5.0 USB standard. This is reasonable, as going beyond 2 Amps is pretty harsh on those tiny USB cables. That same article says that their reference chip can output 5, 9 and 12 volts at max 2 Amps. 12x2=24 watts. This is nice.

Moreover, this other press release says that the standard supports up to 60 watts. This is pretty awesome. This means raising the voltage to 30V if you wanna stay at 2 Amps, or 20V if you raise it up to 3 Amps. I don't think they would dare to use 15V/4A - that would be too much current for the tiny cables.

Here it says about wall chargers to be released in early 2014. However, where I really need speed charging is in my car. I cannot find anything about car adapters.

Wikipedia says usb 2.0 cables have a maximum current of 1.5 amp, how is it possible to pull 3 amp? Does the HTC rapid Charger or the Motorola turbo Charger come with special cables?
I bought the Incipio quick charge 2.0 car charger and it didn't come with a cable so I have no idea if I have to buy one (and which one to buy) to get the full potential of the technology.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
Wikipedia says usb 2.0 cables have a maximum current of 1.5 amp, how is it possible to pull 3 amp? Does the HTC rapid Charger or the Motorola turbo Charger come with special cables?
I bought the Incipio quick charge 2.0 car charger and it didn't come with a cable so I have no idea if I have to buy one (and which one to buy) to get the full potential of the technology.

They don't come with special cables, and they do provide much more rapid charging, so either the analysis above is wrong or the cables can handle much higher amperage.

Posted via the Android Central App

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Can you please install the App Charging Report and check at which current does your quick-charge 2.0 charger work?
Thank you

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I have seen some micro USB cables for sale online that are spec'd with larger power cables to handle higher currents. They weren't advertised as QC2.0 compliant, just a more generic heavy duty or higher power capable type description.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
I have seen some micro USB cables for sale online that are spec'd with larger power cables to handle higher currents. They weren't advertised as QC2.0 compliant, just a more generic heavy duty or higher power capable type description.

But that's completely not required for the feature.

elcano

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
There is a lot of philosophy in this thread.
If you are curious and lucky enough to have one these chargers, the only way to know the thruth is by finding a cheap microUSB cable, cutting it in the middle and using a multimeter to measure voltage (across the two wires and current (passing by one wire). Ask help from a friend if you don't know how to do it.
The measures should be taken when the charge of the phone is low (15%), medium (50%) and high (85%). If it works as usual you will notice peak power (current or voltage) at 50%. But this system is new, so it would not be scientific to make prior assumptions.
Be careful and do the test away from flammable objects. A tiny cable might get warm or hot.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
There is a lot of philosophy in this thread.
If you are curious and lucky enough to have one these chargers, the only way to know the thruth is by finding a cheap microUSB cable, cutting it in the middle and using a multimeter to measure voltage (across the two wires and current (passing by one wire). Ask help from a friend if you don't know how to do it.
The measures should be taken when the charge of the phone is low (15%), medium (50%) and high (85%). If it works as usual you will notice peak power (current or voltage) at 50%. But this system is new, so it would not be scientific to make prior assumptions.
Be careful and do the test away from flammable objects. A tiny cable might get warm or hot.

Cutting it in the middle? What are you talking about? All I'm saying is that a SPECIAL cable is not required for QC2.0. A regular (high quality, uncut) USB cable works just fine.

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I just tried the Incipio quick charge 2.0 car charger and the small micro usb cable (charging only) that came with an anker Bluetooth speaker that I bought a month ago and I checked the current with "charging report" app and it was pulling only 1. 3 amp.