Typing autocorrect sux - any tips?

Jp5Cj2FGK3

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I don't know about anyone else but the autocorrect when typing emails and texts sux. It guesses way wrong...I mean it's putting in weird non-english words. An example:

I meant:
Woops, forgot to let y'all know that I have phone duty today and won't be in until 1pm.

HTC wrote:
Woerth forgot to let y'all inique thermique I bave phon?tique rodage and won be in until 1 pm.

I'm not dyslexic or anything, I was typing this while sitting down, using both hands, not driving and I know how to spell. I typed it into the phone as you see in the "I meant: " line.

Any ideas? Is there some setting I need to check?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Which languages have you enabled? I don't know about the M8's keyboard specifically, but usually with auto-correct/prediction you either get a choice for it to 'learn' from other apps like GMail or SMS, or just wait for it to 'learn' your writing, starting off with a basic dictionary. From what you show as an example, it seems as if you switched languages mid-sentence (perhaps an assigned key? maybe swiping across the space bar accidentally?).

But IMHO, just do away with that keyboard and get SwiftKey. Much better.

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I had a review mentioning how bad the keyboard was, but so far I've been pleasantly surprised at how well my M8 is doing with autocorrect. I think the suggestion about having it set to another language is very likely right. I've had that happen before and been mystified until I figured it out.

Jp5Cj2FGK3

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Thanks guys. At your suggestions I looked around the settings some more and found the culprit. I was just going to Settings -> Language and Keyboard and saw that it was set to English (United States). But then I took a look at Settings -> Language and Keyboard -> HTC Sense Input settings -> Keyboard Selections -> and then if you scroll down there is a section for "Select Keyboards for text input". In that list for whatever reason the following languages were selected: English(US), Espanol, and Francais. I unchecked everything except English and now it's working !!

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys. At your suggestions I looked around the settings some more and found the culprit. I was just going to Settings -> Language and Keyboard and saw that it was set to English (United States). But then I took a look at Settings -> Language and Keyboard -> HTC Sense Input settings -> Keyboard Selections -> and then if you scroll down there is a section for "Select Keyboards for text input". In that list for whatever reason the following languages were selected: English(US), Espanol, and Francais. I unchecked everything except English and now it's working !!

Great! Good to hear:)

popartist

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

Not sure that this is the culprit since I have also been experiencing crappy autocorrect and my phone did not have Espanol or Francais checked, just English (US).

I

mysterygirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Hope your problem is solved. If not, you may want to try a different keyboard. I'm using the Google keyboard.

Posted via Android Central App

TechyJew

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I love swiftkey, and now swiftkey beta is my new love, since that has all the emoji from kit Kat. Pay once and use it on all of my device's is a great feature too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk