Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By cyberr8der
  • 1 Post By mchockeyvette27
  • 1 Post By ugxvibe
  • 2 Post By J Bayliss
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Unhappy Phone will not turn on? Please Help.

Hey guys,

I've had my M8 for about 2 weeks now and everything was good, it played well, it synced well and seem to be working fine. However I just bought a microSD card to expand my space to fit all my songs(6000+) on my phone. While syncing my songs it was taking ages(estimated 11 hours) so I left to other things while the transfer occurred. When I got back my computer was in sleep. I thought that would be fine but when I unlocked it HTC Sync Manger had frozen and bugged out. The only option was to force close it. After this I picked up my phone to find out it was completely off. I tried turning it on but nothing happened. And it still wont turn on, and the orange light which comes on when it is charging is on all the time as well. On my computer when I connect the phone, it can't install driver software and Device Manger says "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". Also HTC Sync Manager acts like no device is connected.

Please help, It's brand new and I'm quite young so if it was broken it would ruin me.

Default Re: Phone will not turn on? Please Help.

Have you tried removing the SD card and starting?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    J Bayliss likes this.

Try unconnecting it from the computer and hold the power button down for more that 10 seconds. Just keep holding it down. May take a little while for something to happen.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    J Bayliss likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks for the quick suggestions, but there was no difference. It still won't turn on. Orange light still glows.

Hold down Power button and Volume down with the proximity sensor under a bright light.. and no, I'm not kidding.

Probably for like 30 seconds.
    Current Device(s):
    Motorola Xoom - Team EOS 4
    Verizon HTC One M8 - Stock, Firewater S-Off
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by ugxvibe View Post
    Hold down Power button and Volume down with the proximity sensor under a bright light.. and no, I'm not kidding.

Probably for like 30 seconds.
    That didn't work either.

You've tried holding just the power button for 30+ seconds?
    Current Device(s):
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

You've tried holding just the power button for 30+ seconds?
    I've held it down for time anywhere between a quick click and 160+ seconds. Thanks for the suggestion though.

One last thing, been reading up on this and it seems holding Volume and Power Up works for some people.. try that. Otherwise I have no clue, maybe let it charge for several hours.

Also, is it plugged in when you are doing these things?
    Current Device(s):
    Thanked by 2:
    J Bayliss likes this.

Try leaving it plugged in overnight and give it a shot again in the morning.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

One last thing, been reading up on this and it seems holding Volume and Power Up works for some people.. try that. Otherwise I have no clue, maybe let it charge for several hours.

Also, is it plugged in when you are doing these things?
    Volume Up and Power Up unplugged with MicroSD out worked, the phone has been reset but I can just restore it. THANK YOU KIND SIR.

I will always remember you.
    Thanked by 3:
    ugxvibe and mrpitzen like this.

Next time you might just try pulling the battery out and save yourself some the headache.

I kid, I kid... I couldn't resist on this one.. But I am glad you got it to come back on.

As tip, which some may think defeats the purpose, but when I am doing large file transfers like 6000+ MP3's or large files in general, I usually just put the SD card in my PC and transfer that way. This way it lets you still use your phone and just walk away while the transfer to the SD Card completed.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Can you even remove the battery from an M8?

I started with just putting the SD card in my PC. But with the phone using USB 3.0 and my MicroSD adapter using USB 2.0, it was much faster to just do it through HTC Sync;