Convert carrier HTC One (M8) to unbranded stock?

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi, last year I remember there were conversion methods to take a carrier HTC One M7 and convert it to a google play edition, with official GPE software and even getting official OTA updates. Is there a way to do this with the M8? And what about converting a carrier M8 to a stock sense experience, like what you would get ordering unlocked from HTC? Would these be able to get OTA's too? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisGonzales90

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: Convert carrier One to unbranded stock?

Hi, last year I remember there were conversion methods to take a carrier HTC One M7 and convert it to a google play edition, with official GPE software and even getting official OTA updates. Is there a way to do this with the M8? And what about converting a carrier M8 to a stock sense experience, like what you would get ordering unlocked from HTC? Would these be able to get OTA's too? Thanks.

google play edition isn't the same as a "stock sense experience" as google play makes it stock android. Why anyone would want that over the feature rich sense is beyond me.

HTC has already promised updates for up to two years and they already proven that with recent handsets getting upgrades. Two years is more then enough time as chances are you will be with a new phone by then anyway

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my initial post, I don't want to convert it to a Google Play Edition, but to a stock sense version, like you get when you order unlocked from HTC. But I want a full conversion with the official firmware so I would get the OTA updates when HTC sends them out.

google play edition isn't the same as a "stock sense experience" as google play makes it stock android. Why anyone would want that over the feature rich sense is beyond me.

HTC has already promised updates for up to two years and they already proven that with recent handsets getting upgrades. Two years is more then enough time as chances are you will be with a new phone by then anyway

I realize that. I have an at&t One M8 with all the carrier bloatware nor do I want to have to wait for at&t to approve the updates after HTC releases them. I want to convert that into a stock sense device, like you would get strait from HTC. However I don't want to constantly have to flash it when an update is out, I want it to get the same updates strait from HTC when they release it OTA. So when HTC sends out 4.5 to their unlocked phones, I would get it too and just update OTA. But I'm not sure if this is possible. I know I could get custom roms without the at&t fluff, but other things would also be altered and I wouldn't get the official updates from HTC. I gave the example of the M7 to Google Play Edition because after that conversions you would get the official updates when the came out OTA, like when 4.4 kitkat came out those who did the conversion got the update OTA.

mr.wizard

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my initial post, I don't want to convert it to a Google Play Edition, but to a stock sense version, like you get when you order unlocked from HTC. But I want a full conversion with the official firmware so I would get the OTA updates when HTC sends them out

Ah, my apologies

I believe you are waiting for the same thing I am. Once there's an RUU for the dev devices, you can change the CID to match. Then, you can officially convert. But, I haven't seen that yet..

Posted via Android Central App

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
That is exactly what I'm looking to do once I get my M8. So I guess best answer for us is to wait for that developer version rom to be officially released by htc, and with help of their tools, I hope I end up doing something right, not brick the phone.

rachitboom2

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking the the EXACT same thing. Want to convert my Sprint M8 into unbranded M8.

I'm using unlocked Sprint M8 in India, I hate constant sprint activation pops, sprint data icons and I cant switch between 2G/3G. I work in the basement of my office and I get constant call drops because my cell keeps switching between 2g and 3g.

bikerboy85

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site

I'm also looking to do the same.... I know this is a really old post but did you have any luck de-branding??