Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Convert carrier HTC One (M8) to unbranded stock?

Hi, last year I remember there were conversion methods to take a carrier HTC One M7 and convert it to a google play edition, with official GPE software and even getting official OTA updates. Is there a way to do this with the M8? And what about converting a carrier M8 to a stock sense experience, like what you would get ordering unlocked from HTC? Would these be able to get OTA's too? Thanks.
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 04-14-2014 at 12:04 AM.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Convert carrier One to unbranded stock?

So, nobody?

ROM
    CM10 nightly/CleanROM 2.4

Here you go

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2708651

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    1,646 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    Hi, last year I remember there were conversion methods to take a carrier HTC One M7 and convert it to a google play edition, with official GPE software and even getting official OTA updates. Is there a way to do this with the M8? And what about converting a carrier M8 to a stock sense experience, like what you would get ordering unlocked from HTC? Would these be able to get OTA's too? Thanks.
    google play edition isn't the same as a "stock sense experience" as google play makes it stock android. Why anyone would want that over the feature rich sense is beyond me.

HTC has already promised updates for up to two years and they already proven that with recent handsets getting upgrades. Two years is more then enough time as chances are you will be with a new phone by then anyway
    My cell phone history for the last decade.

2005/2006: Motorola W315, Motorola razr
    2007: Motorola W385
    2008: HTC shadow
    2009/2010: Motorola i335, Motorola i9, Blackbery 8330,
    2010: HTC EVO 4G
    2011: HTC EVO 3D, HTC rezound
    2012: HTC EVO LTE
    2014: HTC ONE M8.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by mr.wizard View Post
    Here you go

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2708651

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my initial post, I don't want to convert it to a Google Play Edition, but to a stock sense version, like you get when you order unlocked from HTC. But I want a full conversion with the official firmware so I would get the OTA updates when HTC sends them out.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGonzales90 View Post
    google play edition isn't the same as a "stock sense experience" as google play makes it stock android. Why anyone would want that over the feature rich sense is beyond me.

HTC has already promised updates for up to two years and they already proven that with recent handsets getting upgrades. Two years is more then enough time as chances are you will be with a new phone by then anyway
    I realize that. I have an at&t One M8 with all the carrier bloatware nor do I want to have to wait for at&t to approve the updates after HTC releases them. I want to convert that into a stock sense device, like you would get strait from HTC. However I don't want to constantly have to flash it when an update is out, I want it to get the same updates strait from HTC when they release it OTA. So when HTC sends out 4.5 to their unlocked phones, I would get it too and just update OTA. But I'm not sure if this is possible. I know I could get custom roms without the at&t fluff, but other things would also be altered and I wouldn't get the official updates from HTC. I gave the example of the M7 to Google Play Edition because after that conversions you would get the official updates when the came out OTA, like when 4.4 kitkat came out those who did the conversion got the update OTA.

ROM
    CM10 nightly/CleanROM 2.4

Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    Sorry if I wasn't clear in my initial post, I don't want to convert it to a Google Play Edition, but to a stock sense version, like you get when you order unlocked from HTC. But I want a full conversion with the official firmware so I would get the OTA updates when HTC sends them out
    Ah, my apologies

I believe you are waiting for the same thing I am. Once there's an RUU for the dev devices, you can change the CID to match. Then, you can officially convert. But, I haven't seen that yet..

Default Re: Convert carrier HTC One (M8) to unbranded stock?

That is exactly what I'm looking to do once I get my M8. So I guess best answer for us is to wait for that developer version rom to be officially released by htc, and with help of their tools, I hope I end up doing something right, not brick the phone.

Default Re: Convert carrier HTC One (M8) to unbranded stock?

I'm looking the the EXACT same thing. Want to convert my Sprint M8 into unbranded M8.

I'm using unlocked Sprint M8 in India, I hate constant sprint activation pops, sprint data icons and I cant switch between 2G/3G. I work in the basement of my office and I get constant call drops because my cell keeps switching between 2g and 3g.