Plastic HTC One (M8) possibly on its way?

BobR1908

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Re: Plastic HTC One_M8 possibly on its way?

Nothing surprises me anymore (LOL), the only reason HTC would consider this is to sell some handsets at a cheaper price to those who may not be able to afford the 90% metal M8.

I didn't read the article because I am too into enjoying a scotch and Sunday sports (LOL) however you would think if they release a plastic M8 that it would come with somewhat reduced specs too.

I like high end build quality and high end specs :)

Report: HTC will produce plastic version of the HTC One (M8)

Grain of salt, but interesting if true

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

Nothing surprises me anymore (LOL), the only reason HTC would consider this is to sell some handsets at a cheaper price to those who may not be able to afford the 90% metal M8.

I didn't read the article because I am too into enjoying a scotch and Sunday sports (LOL) however you would think if they release a plastic M8 that it would come with somewhat reduced specs too.

I like high end build quality and high end specs :)

Imo it wouldn't make sense to have both lower specs and build quality and keep the m8 name, so if that was the case it should be a new line.

I also think that switching to plastic at this point after complaining about it and putting it down for months would make them look incredibly stupid, but I doubt this is real

BobR1908

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site

I could not agree with you more.

HTC is almost now known for it's build quality and I just can't see them releasing a plastic handset. It would not make sense to me either and in my mind would be an incredibly poor business decision and most importantly marketing move.

In addition, from a financial perspective HTC cannot afford to take any steps back. The original HTC One received rave reviews followed by the newest release of the M8, they need to take advantage of the momentum and producing a plastic handset would do anything but.

Like I said though, nothing in this world surprises me anymore. LOL.

Imo it wouldn't make sense to have both lower specs and build quality and keep the m8 name, so if that was the case it should be a new line.

I also think that switching to plastic at this point after complaining about it and putting it down for months would make them look incredibly stupid, but I doubt this is real

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

I liked the build quality of the droid DNA. It was polycarbonate (sp) but maybe it's something similar to the desire line?

Posted via Android Central App

BobR1908

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site

I had a Desire HD in the past and the build quality was solid and excellent.

It wasn't plastic though. Plastic just feels so cheap to me.

I liked the build quality of the droid DNA. It was polycarbonate (sp) but maybe it's something similar to the desire line?

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

o2k

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site

what's the wrong with that?

HTC just announced 2 "mid range" plastic phones that have similar but watered down specs of M7 in Feb. And they are considered as mid-range, not premium.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

If they were to do it the way Samsung does with their Note series, it wouldn't do anything to their image but make them more versatile. You can make almost any material look and feel nice if that's the goal.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site

Every company makes a budget version. I wouldn't consider it to be surprising in the least.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

HTC has just, and will continue to make plastic phones. Anyone here who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves.

Posted via Android Central App on my all new One

popartist

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

As HTC ONLY makes mobile products they, even more than Samsung, cannot rely on just one phone and have to have a range to appeal to different price points so this would not be surprising. They just need to take care not to get too fragmented or spread too thin.

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

The HTC One X was polycarbonate and was a darned good and very solid feeling phone. Not all polymers feel cheap...it has as much to do with the design, molding process and assembly as the type of plastic used.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
There is nothing cheap about well constructed polycarbonate plastics. The reason they use this material to build formula race cars is because of its strength weight ratios. The cheaper plastic is used to make the cases that are needed to protect these fragile metal materials.
I will admit the aluminum phones are attractive... But quality feel is in the hand of the beholder.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sem173