Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Hi guys, I'm still new to the whole rooting and flashing side of Android and even newer to these forums, I recently bought a HTC M8 and flashed Google Play Edition ROM to it which worked flawlessly. Looking for a more HTC stock way of life I flashed the Android Revolution 3.0 ROM and then found I could not use a few apps due to my phone being rooted so I'm looking to completely unroot my phone and go back to factory settings and start fresh, however I have no idea how and I unfortunately do not have a stock backup on hand through TWRP.

How do I go about doing this? I have SuperSU installed but when I click "Fully Unroot" and reboot my phone is still rooted and I'm still unable to use the few apps I need. I would very appreciative of any help you guys could offer!

Thank you very much for your time.

Posted via Android Central App
    UJ95x likes this.

Default Re: Unrooting HTC One M8

I don't know what version of the M8 you have, but this guide says for Verizon.

How to Unroot the HTC One M8 (Verizon) | TheUnlockr

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts

Try searching over on the XDA forums - huge wealth of knowledge for this stuff.

HTC One (M8) - xda-developers
    Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,442 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRoss18 View Post
    Hi guys, I'm still new to the whole rooting and flashing side of Android and even newer to these forums, I recently bought a HTC M8 and flashed Google Play Edition ROM to it which worked flawlessly. Looking for a more HTC stock way of life I flashed the Android Revolution 3.0 ROM and then found I could not use a few apps due to my phone being rooted so I'm looking to completely unroot my phone and go back to factory settings and start fresh, however I have no idea how and I unfortunately do not have a stock backup on hand through TWRP.

How do I go about doing this? I have SuperSU installed but when I click "Fully Unroot" and reboot my phone is still rooted and I'm still unable to use the few apps I need. I would very appreciative of any help you guys could offer!

Welcome to Android Central
    What version of the M8 do you have?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,442 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by wtupyo View Post
    Try searching over on the XDA forums - huge wealth of knowledge for this stuff.

HTC One (M8) - xda-developers
    A lot of us here are also very knowledgeable

Global Posts
    31,643 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRoss18 View Post

You may have to reflash a stock ROM. This would get you back on stock Sense and fully unroot you.

What apps are you missing?

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    A lot of us here are also very knowledgeable

I know that! Just on XDA there are more technical threads vs help me threads, and some items that only get posted over there.

As others have said, you'll need to flash a stock rom

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Sorry for the late replies, I love in the UK and I posted at about 1 in morning :') I've got a version locked to my provider Vodafone.

I can't use my banking app, Barclays' mobile banking does not support rooted phones and won't even let me get past the first screen.

Where would I find a stock ROM? I've been looking everywhere I can and still can't find one and, unfortunately, I forgot to make a backup before flashing (edited by Moderator). Is there anywhere I could download one or do I need to wait for one to be uploaded somewhere?

Thank you for all your answers and help, I really appreciate it.

Hi mate, I'm also having the same problem with my M8 but I'm on o2. I have rooted my phone but still have the stock rom but for the life of me I cannot unroot. I've found this link here that has a lot of stock roms but I'm having trouble trying to flash them. If you have any luck could you post up once you've done it and help me out too? . Hope you get it sorted.

Edit - I've just done this

Boot your phone to TWRP recovery mode by turn off your phone then presses Vol up + Power to boot into bootloader then choose RECOVERY. There is a more simple way, by using “adb reboot recovery”.
    Once came into TWRP main menu, now tap Mount -> Mount system then taps Home.
    Tap Advanced -> File Manager, browse to “/system/xbin” folder. From there delete su, daemonsu or busybox if it exists. Also browse to “/system/app” the get rid of Superuser.apk.

Now Supersu doesn't come back when I reboot and root checker tells me my phone isn't rooted. Ive tried the barcleys app and I can use it ok although I can't log in as I'm not a customer of them. I'm just hoping I can now use OTA updates when they come available. I just need to remove the tampered tag and lock the bootloader etc so it all looks stock again.
    AndyRoss18 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by danmaytee View Post
    Hi mate, I'm also having the same problem with my M8 but I'm on o2. I have rooted my phone but still have the stock rom but for the life of me I cannot unroot. I've found this link here that has a lot of stock roms but I'm having trouble trying to flash them. If you have any luck could you post up once you've done it and help me out too? . Hope you get it sorted.

Edit - I've just done this

Boot your phone to TWRP recovery mode by turn off your phone then presses Vol up + Power to boot into bootloader then choose RECOVERY. There is a more simple way, by using “adb reboot recovery”.
    Once came into TWRP main menu, now tap Mount -> Mount system then taps Home.
    Tap Advanced -> File Manager, browse to “/system/xbin” folder. From there delete su, daemonsu or busybox if it exists. Also browse to “/system/app” the get rid of Superuser.apk.

Now Supersu doesn't come back when I reboot and root checker tells me my phone isn't rooted. Ive tried the barcleys app and I can use it ok although I can't log in as I'm not a customer of them. I'm just hoping I can now use OTA updates when they come available. I just need to remove the tampered tag and lock the bootloader etc so it all looks stock again.
    As far as I know, you cannot remove the tampered tag. I could be wrong though so someone feel free to correct me if I am

Quote Originally Posted by Skyway View Post
    As far as I know, you cannot remove the tampered tag. I could be wrong though so someone feel free to correct me if I am

There's a thread here explaining how to do it mate. I just need to S Off and hopefully it will all work out

Another very easy fix...xposed modules. There is one that will hide root from certain apps and used to work well, though I have not used it recently. It is available on XDA and is ver simple with step by step instructions.

Currently in a similar position as OP (with an AT&T HTC M8) - but I didn't get all the way through to flashing a custom ROM. I'm stuck in Bootloader (no access to TWRP as far as I know). I want to get back to the stock ROM. In Bootloader I see, ***TAMPERED*** ***UNLOCKED***

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by rr3mix View Post
    Currently in a similar position as OP (with an AT&T HTC M8) - but I didn't get all the way through to flashing a custom ROM. I'm stuck in Bootloader (no access to TWRP as far as I know). I want to get back to the stock ROM. In Bootloader I see, ***TAMPERED*** ***UNLOCKED***

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Try using this program posted here. Once you've got it open connect your phone to your computer via usb and then make sure you're in bootloader, highlight "fastboot" and press the power button. Once you've done that on the program you've downloaded click TWRP (Top right) and click "Flash Recovery". It will open a CMD window, close it and another one will appear and should write the Recovery to the phone. Once it has done test it by pressing the VOL DOWN key until "RECOVERY" is highlight and press the power button Hopefully if all done right you will now be in TWRP Recovery.

Now for the next part... Grab a copy of a stock rom from here (make sure you choose the right one). Once downloaded put it into these folders on the phone memory (or sd card just make sure you change it in recovery if you do) "TWRP\Backups\". Once done click "RESTORE" In TWRP Recovery and it should write the rom for you.

Hope all goes well and I hope all this works ok for you . Let me know how you get on.

hey anyone have any idea how to get rid of twrp recovery? now that there's a system update for the m8, everytime i try to install it the device keeps rebooting to recovery mode voiding the update. how do i solve this? any help will be much appreciated thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Iman AshBurn View Post
    hey anyone have any idea how to get rid of twrp recovery? now that there's a system update for the m8, everytime i try to install it the device keeps rebooting to recovery mode voiding the update. how do i solve this? any help will be much appreciated thanks!
    Grab the stock recovery from here mate. Then flash it using the HTC One M8 Tool kit.

Click "Your own recovery" and then flash recovery at the top right hand of the program.
    Unrooting HTC One M8-wspc9t.jpg

Or if you know how to use the commands through fastboot/ADB (not sure what it's called) then you can do it through that using the commands shown on the 1st link I sent you.

If you need anymore help feel free to drop me a message. I was in the same boat as you and spent hours figuring it all out. I'm not an expert but I will be able to help you sort it
    Iman AshBurn likes this.

Grab the stock recovery from here mate. Then flash it using the HTC One M8 Tool kit.

Click "Your own recovery" and then flash recovery at the top right hand of the program.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wspc9t.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	131.3 KB 
ID:	115367

Or if you know how to use the commands through fastboot/ADB (not sure what it's called) then you can do it through that using the commands shown on the 1st link I sent you.

If you need anymore help feel free to drop me a message. I was in the same boat as you and spent hours figuring it all out. I'm not an expert but I will be able to help you sort it
    hey mate thanks for the help! i have one problem though haha. how the heck do i know which version of recovery to use?

hey mate thanks for the help! i have one problem though haha. how the heck do i know which version of recovery to use?
    No worries mate. Go into Settings>About>Software Infomation and look at your software number.

Mine is 1.54.206.5 so I'd need to choose the one I've highlighted in the photo below.

Unrooting HTC One M8-untitled.jpg

Let me know if you need anymore help

Also once you've flashed the recovery try and boot up into it and if you get an exclamation mark on the screen it all should be good. Just press VOL UP + POWER while you have the exclamation mark up and it will put you into the normal recovery. That's the only bit that fooled me as I thought the Exclamation mark meant it wasn't seeing any recovery program but it's actually the stock recovery lol.
    Iman AshBurn likes this.

Global Posts
    4,693 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Kitkat

I have a M8 toolkit for the AT&T One M8 if anyone is interested.

UXToolkit HTC One M8 AT&T [Unlock bootloader, flash recovery, root, S-OFF]

Wizzrah | AT&T HTC One XL | Tapatalk

hey guys so i tried reflashing stock recovery to my device but i got this instead.

Unrooting HTC One M8-capture.png

the thread didn't have the exact stock recovery that i needed so i just picked one with the same base instead. holy crap i just wanna get back to stock hahaha!

Hmm that's odd! Do you have the OTA update saved to your phone? I know you can extract the recovery from that if you have it.

Hmm that's odd! Do you have the OTA update saved to your phone? I know you can extract the recovery from that if you have it.
    yes i do! i was thinking of just restoring to the next update if that's possible?

yes i do! i was thinking of just restoring to the next update if that's possible?
    You need to flash the stock recovery 1st dude. Extract the OTA update you have downloaded and somewhere in that will be "recovery.img". You then want to flash that recovery using the toolkit and then hopefully all will be well!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast