HTC One (M8): Is that brushed back a scratch magnet?

lui22

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Personally I feel that the brushed back on the M8 seems a little....urm... cheap. Then again ive only seen it in photos. I feel like the metal that they use is going to be a bit soft, like the aluminum that the iPads use.

It would bother me alot if these scratches started happening out of everyday use. Coming from my Q10 and Z10 i dont really worry much for scratches because of the glass weave on the Q10 and the rubber on the Z10 but on metal it just seems like it would be more noticeable.

Last edited by a moderator:

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site
Re: M8 owners is that brushed back a scratch magnet?

so far no scratches on mine and i have not used a case at all and don't plan on it.

josh6113

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site

From you only judging by pics?..I'd say you need to go see and hold one...you will change that mind fast...lol

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

92turbo2

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site

So far no scratches on mine, I haven't decided yet if I want to put a case on it

Posted via Android Central App

adrianq

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

I actually think it is very scratch resistant. Especially considering that I recently dropped it from 5 feet onto concrete and slip for about a foot. The phone fell right on the lower right hand corner of the phone and it held up A LOT better than I thought it would. My gunmetal phone now has a small, but noticeable dent by the corner but no scratches.

Breaks my heart to have such a beautiful phone with such a blemish, but very happy it held up so well.

PS. Does anyone know how (if possible) the lower cover part of the phone can be repaired/replaced?

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site

My M8 is naked, and I have not noticed any scratches anywhere on the phone.

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site

I actually think it is very scratch resistant. Especially considering that I recently dropped it from 5 feet onto concrete and slip for about a foot. The phone fell right on the lower right hand corner of the phone and it held up A LOT better than I thought it would. My gunmetal phone now has a small, but noticeable dent by the corner but no scratches.

Breaks my heart to have such a beautiful phone with such a blemish, but very happy it held up so well.

PS. Does anyone know how (if possible) the lower cover part of the phone can be repaired/replaced?

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Kinda like getting that first scratch or door ding on a new car. It just sucks.

Cyberdelia

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site

Personally I feel that the brushed back on the M8 seems a little....urm... cheap. Then again ive only seen it in photos. I feel like the metal that they use is going to be a bit soft, like the aluminum that the iPads use.

It's about as far from cheap as you can get. I came from an iPhone. The M8 feels better. I always kept my iPhone in a very slim case, and my iPad Air stays in a thin case.

Yes, they'll scratch without protection. The folks I know who don't keep their iPhone in a case - it's chewed all to hell. I can't imagine the M8 being any different after a few months. I used a smart cover on my iPad 3 without a shell on the back, and it ended up getting scratched.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site

It's got a rugged clear coat so it does not scratch easily at all. (edited by Moderator)

Last edited by a moderator:

kingvanimal

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site

Cheap? Dude go hold the phone especially the brushed gun metal. It will take you literally 5 seconds to change that thought lol. I mean that seriously.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Please keep things civil

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

kingvanimal

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site

Had mine for a week with no case. I'm ok in the gym 5 days a week, not a mark.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

haevolution

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

No scratches here even after it slipped out of my pocket and fell in the parking lot at the gym. The corners got a bit scuffed up but the rest of the phone looks new still.

fagin84

May 27, 2014
Visit site

Hi

I've had a silicon skin on my htc one m8 since I bought it and I removed it yesterday to put on a new dot view cover. I found many small white marks on the back of the phone which I've attached as a picture. Since I've had the phone covered since I bought it I'm at a loss to explain these marks. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    559.9 KB · Views: 73
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    560 KB · Views: 73
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    601.6 KB · Views: 73
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    581.2 KB · Views: 70
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    486.8 KB · Views: 65

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
cheap? lol hardly! I'd say in normal everyday use, it won't scratch easily, but if your laying it all over the place carelessly and sliding it across table tops and ****, yes, it's going to scratch, that being said, I have a matte white dbrand wrap on my M8, when I'm working I use Baseus ultrathin air case, if I'm jogging and tracking my runs with Endomondo, I use my Diztronic case, but this phone cannot be considered cheap at all

sent from HTC M8 using tapatalk

roflwaffleton

May 19, 2012
Visit site

- - - Updated - - -

I've had a silicon skin on my htc one m8 since I bought it and I removed it yesterday to put on a new dot view cover. I found many small white marks on the back of the phone which I've attached as a picture. Since I've had the phone covered since I bought it I'm at a loss to explain these marks. Any help would be appreciated.

What kind of cover/case do you have? It could be that some dirt/debris/sand or somesuch got caught between the phone and the case.