Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree11Likes
  • 6 Post By josh6113
  • 2 Post By Cyberdelia
  • 3 Post By kingvanimal
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    966 Global Posts

Default HTC One (M8): Is that brushed back a scratch magnet?

Personally I feel that the brushed back on the M8 seems a little....urm... cheap. Then again ive only seen it in photos. I feel like the metal that they use is going to be a bit soft, like the aluminum that the iPads use.

It would bother me alot if these scratches started happening out of everyday use. Coming from my Q10 and Z10 i dont really worry much for scratches because of the glass weave on the Q10 and the rubber on the Z10 but on metal it just seems like it would be more noticeable.
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 04-14-2014 at 10:12 PM.
    BBM me at 2B9797D9 OR 2B8C37A2

Default Re: M8 owners is that brushed back a scratch magnet?

so far no scratches on mine and i have not used a case at all and don't plan on it.
    PhoneJunkie

Iphone 5s
    HTC One (M8)
    Nexus 5

Sold (HTC One X, iPhone 4s, Ipad Mini, Galaxy S3, and S4 LG Optimus G Pro)

From you only judging by pics?..I'd say you need to go see and hold one...you will change that mind fast...lol

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7.2 Stable

So far no scratches on mine, I haven't decided yet if I want to put a case on it

Posted via Android Central App
    Moto Q9C------->Palm PRE------->Palm PRE--------->EVO 4G------>EVO 4G LTE------>HTC One M8

I actually think it is very scratch resistant. Especially considering that I recently dropped it from 5 feet onto concrete and slip for about a foot. The phone fell right on the lower right hand corner of the phone and it held up A LOT better than I thought it would. My gunmetal phone now has a small, but noticeable dent by the corner but no scratches.

Breaks my heart to have such a beautiful phone with such a blemish, but very happy it held up so well.

PS. Does anyone know how (if possible) the lower cover part of the phone can be repaired/replaced?

Global Posts
    1,608 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM 4.5 Pro

My M8 is naked, and I have not noticed any scratches anywhere on the phone.
    Yesterday is but a dream, Tomorrow is but a vision, but Today well lived makes every Yesterday a dream of happiness and every Tomorrow a vision of hope.

Global Posts
    1,608 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM 4.5 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by adrianq View Post
    I actually think it is very scratch resistant. Especially considering that I recently dropped it from 5 feet onto concrete and slip for about a foot. The phone fell right on the lower right hand corner of the phone and it held up A LOT better than I thought it would. My gunmetal phone now has a small, but noticeable dent by the corner but no scratches.

Breaks my heart to have such a beautiful phone with such a blemish, but very happy it held up so well.

PS. Does anyone know how (if possible) the lower cover part of the phone can be repaired/replaced?
    Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Kinda like getting that first scratch or door ding on a new car. It just sucks.
    Yesterday is but a dream, Tomorrow is but a vision, but Today well lived makes every Yesterday a dream of happiness and every Tomorrow a vision of hope.

Quote Originally Posted by lui22 View Post
    Personally I feel that the brushed back on the M8 seems a little....urm... cheap. Then again ive only seen it in photos. I feel like the metal that they use is going to be a bit soft, like the aluminum that the iPads use.
    It's about as far from cheap as you can get. I came from an iPhone. The M8 feels better. I always kept my iPhone in a very slim case, and my iPad Air stays in a thin case.

Yes, they'll scratch without protection. The folks I know who don't keep their iPhone in a case - it's chewed all to hell. I can't imagine the M8 being any different after a few months. I used a smart cover on my iPad 3 without a shell on the back, and it ended up getting scratched.
    dpham00 and isitme like this.

It's got a rugged clear coat so it does not scratch easily at all. (edited by Moderator)
    Last edited by dpham00; 04-14-2014 at 07:04 PM.

Cheap? Dude go hold the phone especially the brushed gun metal. It will take you literally 5 seconds to change that thought lol. I mean that seriously.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

Not one single mark on mine

Phone: HTC One M8 (Gunmetal Gray)
    Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013

Global Posts
    1,646 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

No issues here

My cell phone history for the last decade.

2005/2006: Motorola W315, Motorola razr
    2007: Motorola W385
    2008: HTC shadow
    2009/2010: Motorola i335, Motorola i9, Blackbery 8330,
    2010: HTC EVO 4G
    2011: HTC EVO 3D, HTC rezound
    2012: HTC EVO LTE
    2014: HTC ONE M8.

let me look-..........

nope. scratch free...

Please keep things civil

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Had mine for a week with no case. I'm ok in the gym 5 days a week, not a mark.

Quote Originally Posted by kingvanimal View Post
    Had mine for a week with no case. I'm ok in the gym 5 days a week, not a mark.

A week is nothing. Give it a few months.

No scratches here even after it slipped out of my pocket and fell in the parking lot at the gym. The corners got a bit scuffed up but the rest of the phone looks new still.

Hi

I've had a silicon skin on my htc one m8 since I bought it and I removed it yesterday to put on a new dot view cover. I found many small white marks on the back of the phone which I've attached as a picture. Since I've had the phone covered since I bought it I'm at a loss to explain these marks. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HTC One (M8): Is that brushed back a scratch magnet?-photo-1.jpg   HTC One (M8): Is that brushed back a scratch magnet?-photo-2.jpg   HTC One (M8): Is that brushed back a scratch magnet?-photo-3.jpg   HTC One (M8): Is that brushed back a scratch magnet?-photo-4.jpg   HTC One (M8): Is that brushed back a scratch magnet?-photo-5.jpg  

Default Re: HTC One (M8): Is that brushed back a scratch magnet?

cheap? lol hardly! I'd say in normal everyday use, it won't scratch easily, but if your laying it all over the place carelessly and sliding it across table tops and ****, yes, it's going to scratch, that being said, I have a matte white dbrand wrap on my M8, when I'm working I use Baseus ultrathin air case, if I'm jogging and tracking my runs with Endomondo, I use my Diztronic case, but this phone cannot be considered cheap at all

sent from HTC M8 using tapatalk

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fagin84 View Post
    I've had a silicon skin on my htc one m8 since I bought it and I removed it yesterday to put on a new dot view cover. I found many small white marks on the back of the phone which I've attached as a picture. Since I've had the phone covered since I bought it I'm at a loss to explain these marks. Any help would be appreciated.
    What kind of cover/case do you have? It could be that some dirt/debris/sand or somesuch got caught between the phone and the case.

Quote Originally Posted by lui22 View Post

It would bother me alot if these scratches started happening out of everyday use. Coming from my Q10 and Z10 i dont really worry much for scratches because of the glass weave on the Q10 and the rubber on the Z10 but on metal it just seems like it would be more noticeable.
    This phone does not look, feel or in any way, shape or form fit under the description of "cheap." It's up and away the nicest phone I've ever owned or even seen. No scratches at all for me.

Quote Originally Posted by dty06 View Post
    This phone does not look, feel or in any way, shape or form fit under the description of "cheap." It's up and away the nicest phone I've ever owned or even seen. No scratches at all for me.
    The back of my phone is looking new as well and I rarely have a case on it - only when biking. However; I did crack the lens cover on the camera!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fagin84 View Post
    Hi

Thanks
    I used to remove my case every other day to clean it out. This was more of an issue for me due to the field I work in.I do this because things getting in the case and scratch the phone up. I had it happen a few times. I found fix for it by using a body wrap and then putting the case on. You can get them pretty cheap online. More money I guess.. I need it to be in good shape to sale it. I like to get a new phone every 6 months to make my geek side happy.

Naptownlove77- HTC ~⊙N~🇲8

I don't think I'd call the aluminum they use soft, but it's not the hardest. It's kind of in between and depends on the material and force that will scratch against it. Mine has one small scratch on the upper right of the back, under the top line, but even then it's pretty near invisible unless you shine a light right at it and look from a certain angle, and it was already there when I got the phone. The brushed metal look on the gunmetal actually hides it a bit.
    Mentor @ FRC# 3999