Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HTC One (M8): My battery life sucks what's wrong?

I have read all great reviews on the battery life but mine only makes it about 9 hours then I have 20% left that's with playing no games about 15 mins of calls a few texts and a little YouTube it just keeps draining it is new so I don't know if batterys have to run threw a few cycles before it gets better but if some could help me out I would appreciate it greatly.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    1,608 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM 4.5 Pro

Default Re: My battery life sucks what's wrong ?

I get great battery life with my M8, I would check to see what apps might be running in the background. It could be you have apps running that you don't even know about that is contributing to your battery drain.
    Yesterday is but a dream, Tomorrow is but a vision, but Today well lived makes every Yesterday a dream of happiness and every Tomorrow a vision of hope.

I found my culprit to be trying to maintain the 4g connection in the house even though it was on WiFi, once I switched my phone to CDMA only my battery life improved dramatically. I'm on sprint so YMMV

Global Posts
    1,608 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM 4.5 Pro

I would check your Advanced WIFI settings and make sure you have "WiFi Optimization" and "Auto-switch to mobile network" selected also.
    Yesterday is but a dream, Tomorrow is but a vision, but Today well lived makes every Yesterday a dream of happiness and every Tomorrow a vision of hope.
    Thanked by:

After 10 hrs, my battery it's at 67%. Not bad at all.

brick58 likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I have 19% left after 9 hours that's with turning off sync and closing out every app once I used them this sucks ***

cizzlen likes this.

My phone had similar battery life until I found that it had NFC on by default - when I turned it off the battery life went up considerably.
    ChrisGonzales90 likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I have everything turned off

I've been on battery for 9 hours, and I'm at 68%.

HTC One (M8): My battery life sucks what's wrong?-2014-04-14-21.57.17.jpg

Global Posts
    1,608 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM 4.5 Pro

After almost 12 hours of light use, I still have 80%

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ZacD22 View Post
    I have 19% left after 9 hours that's with turning off sync and closing out every app once I used them this sucks ***

There is a real problem with your device. Sounds like a rogue app killing the battery. The absolute best way to solve it is to factory reset and see if the problem stops. Once you do the reset keep the phone free from any additional apps. If it works fine then go ahead and reinstall your apps. If not, get it replaced ASAP. NFC uses very little power. If you are in a very weak area for coverage it would kill your battery pretty quick, but that would have been the same on your old device.

Current Devices:
    OnePlus One
    LG G3 - AT&T
    Motorola Moto X - unlocked GSM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8 - LTE AT&T
    Apple iPad Mini Retina - 32GB LTE
    Thanked by:
    SoCalBIGmike likes this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

How did you upload a image

Quote Originally Posted by ZacD22 View Post
    How did you upload a image

You can't upload an image using the official Android Central app. But, you can use Tapatalk, the Mobile Nations app, or the Android Central Forums app (the one that is based off of Tapatalk. It looks exactly like the old Tapatalk.)
    Thanked by:

Do not use sync for their services, could drain this battery performances, when you use something, just push the sync you want to sent a sync then that it.
    Or go setting in option and uncheck sync bluetooth nfc. All of threes can drain the battery that you don't need them.

Posted via HTC M7

Wise choice

Posted via HTC M7

Can someone with SystemPannel run a test for me. I want to get a 2nd set of data points to check something with.

I use SystemPannel to check my CPU usage. I normally set it for a 2 hour window, and during stand by my CPU is in the 3-5% range.
    However i have run across something interesting.
    The other night i left my device connected to WiFi and found it was in the 30% range the entire time.
    I normally dont use WiFi as my TMO coverage is strong, LTE is strong and very fast.
    With other devices i have noticed slight increase in CPU usage when in stand by and on WiFi, which is normal as its running another radio / connection so yeah more things to process. My note 3 for example uses 4-6% more. This is all per the app, SystemPannel. So trying to keep things the same.
    IF someone has the app, and has TMO (using ATT should get similar results but Sprint/VER might get different since they are CDMA) please set it for 2 or 8 hours and let it sit on the charger over night and report what your device is like in the morning.
    I will continue to run a few more tests with NFC off and also toy with a few other options.
    EDIT added pics.
    The first pic shows 8 hour window. I also rebooted the phone in the middle of the 8 hour window to make sure it wasnt a rogue app. You will see WiFi on then off then back on. Second pic shows 2 hour window and it started with WiFi off then on. Notice the CPU jump.
    HTC One (M8): My battery life sucks what's wrong?-2014-04-13-15.36.30.jpgand
    HTC One (M8): My battery life sucks what's wrong?-2014-04-13-15.36.24.jpg

I have a 5 day old One M8 and is experiencing the same battery issue. I was on a chat with a VZ tech and my battery drop from 41% to 36% in a 30 minute chat. I had wifi off, gps off, nfc off, bluetooth off. I am going to try a factory hard reset. If this doesn't work, I'll just exchange it with another unit tomorrow.
    cizzlen likes this.

Global Posts
    649 Global Posts

You can try loading an app like GSAM (not sure if it needs ROOT, honestly) which will take a pretty deep look at battery usage and give you some ideas of key items taking up use.

It's like the built in battery app but a bit more comprehensive.

I'm leaning towards a rogue app as well.

Also go into apps like Facebook, and so forth, into their app settings and make sure they don't have crazy sync settings.

Generally I tend to set almost all my apps (Except weather) to manual sync just because there's no point for it to cache it. I'll wait the 1/2 a second to refresh the few times a day I use it.

Global Posts
    1,608 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM 4.5 Pro

Default Re: HTC One (M8): My battery life sucks what's wrong?

Another thing to consider that I am not reading about is to check your screen's brightness level and screen timeout setting.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Ok I did a factory reset and and charged my phone over night turned off all the Google crap also uninstalled Yahoo email app I read it was a battery drainer I also turned off sync and today I'm at 35% after 13 hours 25 min so seems good so far thanks guys for the help

jeffmoline likes this.

I was having a similar problem my first few days with the phone. I asked my son who knows a ton about android and he changed some of the Google app settings and that really helped me out. There were some location settings and other things that were always running and that was causing some of the battery issues. Wish I knew what they were to tell you to check, but he just grabbed the phone and went to town. After that it lasts much longer.

Another option is to do a simple phone restart by holding down the power button as that will close any running apps. Sometimes you just have things that won't close. That has helped me a couple times as well.

cizzlen likes this.

I did a factory reset last night, but I had to restore my phone setting from my backup, which restored all my apps back. My batt. is now down to 89% after 2.5 hours being unplugged from the charger. Wifi, gps, blutooth are all off. Screen is set to the second from the lowest, screen timeout is set to 1 minute. GSAM is saying the screen uses 39.4%, app usage is at 51.6%. When I click on app usage, there is no glaring app that is obvious, the highest being android system at 10.8%. I will to a factory reset again tonight but start from scratch. Otherwise, this phone is going to Verizon for a replacement.

I just did another hard reset on my M8 on my lunch break. Batt was at 65% an hour ago. It is now at 57%. The only app I downloaded is the GSAM. Everything is off at this time.
    cizzlen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by neonworm View Post
    You can't upload an image using the official Android Central app. But, you can use Tapatalk, the Mobile Nations app, or the Android Central Forums app (the one that is based off of Tapatalk. It looks exactly like the old Tapatalk.)
    Thanks for this. I had no idea there was a separate forums app, heh.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    1,608 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM 4.5 Pro

There's a pretty good and recent article on AC entitled "Top Tips for Saving Battery Life on the Samsung S5" that might help.

Top tips for saving battery life on the Samsung Galaxy S5 | Android Central
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast