HTC One (M8): Camera Lens Issue

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: HTC One (M8): Camera lens cover issue

I have noticed a lot of scratches on my camera lens. In this picture it looks to be attached to the camera itself. On the M7 a new lens came with the replacement back housing. Is that not the case with the M8 because I'd like to replace that lens as it's starting to affect my photos.

Is the camera lens attached to the back housing or is it connected to the camera module which is only replaceable by removing the motherboard?

Camera lens glass IS attached to back housing:
http://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/XRZGQ5ZNTaXJP1b6.huge

Camera lens glass is not attached to the back housing:

ugxvibe

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site

I have noticed a lot of scratches on my camera lens. In this picture it looks to be attached to the camera itself. On the M7 a new lens came with the replacement back housing. Is that not the case with the M8 because I'd like to replace that lens as it's starting to affect my photos.

Is the camera lens attached to the back housing or is it connected to the camera module which is only replaceable by removing the motherboard?

Camera lens glass IS attached to back housing:

Camera lens glass is not attached to the back housing:

According to my invoice the lens is attached to the rear housing. At least that is what they replaced for my lens problem.

- - - Updated - - -

What did you use to polish it?

I'd like to know this also.

Preformer19

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site

Why in the world would you pay anything when you just spent $700 to buy the product, and it has a 1yr warranty, right? Issues like this is just unacceptable for a brand new device! I don't care if it's only $30 for shipping, that's not cool, they should cover the costs 100%. I see lots of people complaining these days about customer service & quality issues, we need to complain louder. My husband and I are getting our M8's tomorrow, I can't wait to grill t-mobile about the lens problem before I even turn on my device. I wish I would have seen this post a few days ago when I was in the store ordering my phone, the guy who came in with a scratched lens would have been informed by me.Thank you everyone on this post for sharing!

It's all about the $. It's all just a bunch of BS at the same time, but all they care about at the end of the day is making something off of us.

Just to be clear, in my case I didn't pay a dime. HTC paid shipping both ways and covered the lens under warranty. Luckily, or sadly, I had my old Thunderbolt to use in the meantime.

Maybe I should have pressed them a bit harder.

I think I may just cancel the tickets with HTC and call my carrier, Verizon, to see what they can do. I can claim a manufacturers defect and have them send me a new device first, and then send my device back in the included package they send me.

^^That route would also save me my one-time screen replacement^^

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

It's all about the $. It's all just a bunch of BS at the same time, but all they care about at the end of the day is making something off of us.

Maybe I should have pressed them a bit harder.

I think I may just cancel the tickets with HTC and call my carrier, Verizon, to see what they can do. I can claim a manufacturers defect and have them send me a new device first, and then send my device back in the included package they send me.

^^That route would also save me my one-time screen replacement^^

Seems silly HTC is forcing the use of the Advantage plan. Almost as if they knew and this is why they included it. Most likely not true but still a thought as I find it hard to believe this wasn't found in testing.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

Preformer19

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site

Seems silly HTC is forcing the use of the Advantage plan. Almost as if they knew and this is why they included it. Most likely not true but still a thought as I find it hard to believe this wasn't found in testing.

Ignorance! Lol.

DvlsOwn94

May 29, 2011
Visit site

Has anyone with a cracked lens been able to get it either repaired or replaced with warranty. I contacted htc and they wanted me to pay $90 for it to be repaired.

ugxvibe

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site

Has anyone with a cracked lens been able to get it either repaired or replaced with warranty. I contacted htc and they wanted me to pay $90 for it to be repaired.

Yes, I did. They replaced the 'battery cover' under warranty after I complained about a $140. quote.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

dnewell

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site

Okay so my lens is scratched as well. Not horribly just yet, but I can imagine it getting much worse over time. I don't really want to lose my free shattered screen exchange over this! This is a defect and should be covered as such. Unfortunately at least at the moment HTC hasn't admitted there's a legitimate problem that could seriously hurt their image as the "premium" Android iPhone alternative. I couldn't help but think how Apple was thoughtful enough to cover the 5s camera with a sapphire crystal lens cover - extremely scratch resistant!

So what I was hoping someone braver than me can do is document exactly how to safely and completely remove the plastic film front the glass? I'm not even convinced that there is a film covering my lens, except for the fact that I definitely have scratches and I definitely haven't done anything abusive to the phone.

ugxvibe

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site

Just did an 'unboxing' of my baby. Back in business! Heading back to the Photos thread soon.. lol

Attachments

• IMG_0039.jpg
    IMG_0039.jpg
    454.2 KB · Views: 56

abbzys24

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site

I had my camera lens all scratched up. I went to a Sprint store and they tried to clean it and made it all worse. Now it looks as if the lenses is all smeared and my pictures suck. I'm so mad right now. I went back into the Sprint store and he told me since my lenses was scratched that they can't do anything. I may go back to the Sprint store tomorrow, or should I call HTC and tell them about the lense? Please I need help, my picture do not come out that well anymore and the rep in the Sprint store even pulled out his m8 and could notice it but told me he couldn't go against the techs word. Thank you anyone for the help!

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

ugxvibe

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site

I had my camera lens all scratched up. I went to a Sprint store and they tried to clean it and made it all worse. Now it looks as if the lenses is all smeared and my pictures suck. I'm so mad right now. I went back into the Sprint store and he told me since my lenses was scratched that they can't do anything. I may go back to the Sprint store tomorrow, or should I call HTC and tell them about the lense? Please I need help, my picture do not come out that well anymore and the rep in the Sprint store even pulled out his m8 and could notice it but told me he couldn't go against the techs word. Thank you anyone for the help!

Call HTC support and plead your case. They will have you send it in under warranty (not Advantage). They may try to quote you a price to fix it but you need to call them back after you get the quote and get it resolved through someone else. I would even ask for the Special Projects team to see if they will approve it to be covered. I am sure they know about this issue. I bet at least one of the upper management guys have had this happen to them by now.

ecvorst

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site

Same problem here. I've had the phone for about a month and take really good care of it. No scratches anywhere on the phone's case or screen - yet the camera lens cover has all sorts of scuffs/scratches that almost look like smudges … that you can't remove.

The problem is that now every photo I take has halos around them and the camera is having problems even focusing.

This is absolutely nuts.

ugxvibe

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site

You guys should read the last few pages of this thread.. if you do not or cannot get your phone in for warranty, people have been having success cleaning the 'whatever it is' off the lens surface. If this replacement does it again I will make a YouTube video of my attempt (and only post it if it works, lol).

abbzys24

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site

Call HTC support and plead your case. They will have you send it in under warranty (not Advantage). They may try to quote you a price to fix it but you need to call them back after you get the quote and get it resolved through someone else. I would even ask for the Special Projects team to see if they will approve it to be covered. I am sure they know about this issue. I bet at least one of the upper management guys have had this happen to them by now.

Same problem here. I've had the phone for about a month and take really good care of it. No scratches anywhere on the phone's case or screen - yet the camera lens cover has all sorts of scuffs/scratches that almost look like smudges ? that you can't remove.

The problem is that now every photo I take has halos around them and the camera is having problems even focusing.

This is absolutely nuts.
That's exactly how my pictures are coming out. I just spoke to HTC and he told me that what I described sounds likes there wouldn't be any charge. So I'm probably going to do the $19 shipping and have them look at the phone. Hopefully they won't charge for what's wrong with it. If they do I'll try to dispute it.

ecvorst

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site

Thanks! Just read #182 on Page 8.

The last thing on Earth I would have considered doing was scratching the lens with my fingernail, but after a few minutes of scratching away the substandard coating on the lens cover has rubbed off and picture quality is back to normal.

At least now I can take pictures that don't look like they were taken during dense fog … at least until HTC does something to replace the defective covers FOR FREE.

I'm glad I can take pictures normally again, but I can't help but think the coating I've removed was supposed to be there for a reason.

abbzys24

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site

Thanks! Just read #182 on Page 8.

The last thing on Earth I would have considered doing was scratching the lens with my fingernail, but after a few minutes of scratching away the substandard coating on the lens cover has rubbed off and picture quality is back to normal.

At least now I can take pictures that don't look like they were taken during dense fog ? at least until HTC does something to replace the defective covers FOR FREE.

I'm glad I can take pictures normally again, but I can't help but think the coating I've removed was supposed to be there for a reason.

That's exactly why I haven't done it yet. I'm trying to switch out my phone first before I scratch it. If that doesn't work than I'll do that.

Preformer19

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site

This is a defect and should be covered as such. Unfortunately at least at the moment HTC hasn't admitted there's a legitimate problem that could seriously hurt their image as the "premium" Android iPhone alternative.

This is the big issue right now.

I called Verizon, and they really couldn't help me because they weren't sure if this type of issue was covered, or even if it was a known issue with HTC. The representative I spoke to told me that they have an internal forum with known issues, and the scratched camera lens on the HTC One M8 was not one of them. He said he'd call me back within a day or so to let me know if it is covered. If it is, then great, I'll get a fixed device while saving my HTC Advantage. If it's not covered, I still have the device swap under HTC Advantage currently in place, so I'll just use that.

Also, depending on who you speak to, you'll get different answers as to whether or not the device HTC gives you as per their device swap plan under HTC Advantage is a brand new device or not. I've heard that you will always receive a brand new device, and I've heard that you will only receive a new device if there is stock, but more likely it will be a refurbished phone.

I don't really care to be honest. I just want a device with a crisp and clean camera lens!

ugxvibe

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site

You should get a protector on that while you still can!

You are right, except that we all now know it is something happening without being actually physically scratched. I am afraid a lens protector will actually cause a problem with the coating, if this new cover has it. I am losing my mind worrying about a stupid phone.. haha