HTC One (M8): Camera Lens Issue

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: HTC One (M8): Camera lens cover issue

I've been on board since the original Evo as well, and I'm glad they fixed it up with no charge.

We can just agree to disagree on what we each find to be acceptable phone problems. Whichever phones you end up with next, I wish you luck with them.

BTW, I spoke with HTC and they did say that the rear camera lens cover was an upgraded item on newer models of the phone and that my phone was swapped out with a newer phone that has a non defective rear camera lens. i chose the return option where you can pay 19.99 and swap your phone for a refurbished one. I'm fairly certain the refurb version will be like new when it comes from the manufacturer. I hope! i tend to not like refurbs from carriers. Any thoughts?

Travisimo

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site

BTW, I spoke with HTC and they did say that the rear camera lens cover was an upgraded item on newer models of the phone and that my phone was swapped out with a newer phone that has a non defective rear camera lens. i chose the return option where you can pay 19.99 and swap your phone for a refurbished one. I'm fairly certain the refurb version will be like new when it comes from the manufacturer. I hope! i tend to not like refurbs from carriers. Any thoughts?

My advanced replacement was also a refurbished model and it was like new. I cannot confirm whether it has a newer camera lens cover or not, and I'm not about to test it! LOL. I put lens protectors on both cameras as soon as I got it.

Travisimo

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site

I'm glad they lowered the charge a bit! I agree that HTC shouldn't have messed up on quality control with this and that we users should /have/ to fix it ourselves. But why move away from a phone you're otherwise happy with when you can completely fix it in 10 minutes?

Because none of the home remedies worked for me (you can see my whole story if you look at my previous updates). Despite some forum members insisting I just didn't do it long enough or rub hard enough, the scratches did not come off. Furthermore, there was a round smudge underneath the lens cover after I used the alcohol (and no I did no POUR liquid on the lens... it was just the qtip that was wet). At any rate, I am not confident this fix will work for everyone (I think my lens cover coating was already partially off before I started the fix). Secondly, with my replacement, I am not comfortable without having a lens protector on it now, which will prevent it from getting scratched, but can also affect the photos because there is another layer over the lens.

The bottom line is that this issue has left a bad taste in my mouth regarding this phone. I'm not angry with anyone nor am I upset I ended up having to pay $145 for the phone I sent it. However, I am definitely not pleased with the customer support I received or the lack of communication by HTC. And despite the M8 having a great build quality, this camera issue is definitely a sore spot. I was able to get a OnePlus One invite during this time and have been using it for about a week. Though it doesn't have the premium build quality of the M8, it's much more ergonomic to use and I'm really enjoying it. Will need to decide which phone to keep.

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

My advanced replacement was also a refurbished model and it was like new. I cannot confirm whether it has a newer camera lens cover or not, and I'm not about to test it! LOL. I put lens protectors on both cameras as soon as I got it.

do the lens protectors obscure your pictures in any way? and, where did you go to get them?

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

Because none of the home remedies worked for me (you can see my whole story if you look at my previous updates). Despite some forum members insisting I just didn't do it long enough or rub hard enough, the scratches did not come off. Furthermore, there was a round smudge underneath the lens cover after I used the alcohol (and no I did no POUR liquid on the lens... it was just the qtip that was wet). At any rate, I am not confident this fix will work for everyone (I think my lens cover coating was already partially off before I started the fix). Secondly, with my replacement, I am not comfortable without having a lens protector on it now, which will prevent it from getting scratched, but can also affect the photos because there is another layer over the lens.

The bottom line is that this issue has left a bad taste in my mouth regarding this phone. I'm not angry with anyone nor am I upset I ended up having to pay $145 for the phone I sent it. However, I am definitely not pleased with the customer support I received or the lack of communication by HTC. And despite the M8 having a great build quality, this camera issue is definitely a sore spot. I was able to get a OnePlus One invite during this time and have been using it for about a week. Though it doesn't have the premium build quality of the M8, it's much more ergonomic to use and I'm really enjoying it. Will need to decide which phone to keep.

I love my HTC phone and just can't see any real competition against it, but i don't want to have to be sending my phone back to HTC for defective issues each and every time i purchase their flagship device. The only other phone i could settle for is an Iphone and i just loathe the idea of using an Iphone.... But, for now, I'm fairly sure my M8 will stand the test of time and keep me happy now that the lens issue is resolved. I like to keep my phones pristine, because i ultimately sell them and upgrade and i don't want to sell junky stuff to anyone. It's just a personal preference. I keep all boxes and cables and brochures....when i use my Jump with tmobile , i usually have to pay about 30 percent of the new phone price and i usually can get that and more on my Ebay sale of my old device.

Travisimo

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site

do the lens protectors obscure your pictures in any way? and, where did you go to get them?

I bought a couple of packs of camera lens protectors from Slickwraps:

HTC One M8 Lens Protector (Dual Pack)

I am finding that the Slickwraps protectors can cause a bit of lens flare if they aren't kept clean (about the same as when the lens cover coating became scratched or smudged on my original phone). However, it's easily to replace a thin piece of plastic than it is to clean the camera lens itself, so the net result is that I feel it's better to leave them on. Despite the description saying they have "anti-fingerprint technology", fingerprints can easily be seen if you touch them so it's just marketing speak. It's not en elegant solution by any means, nor do I feel satisfied using the phone camera with the protectors covering the lens. But I definitely don't want to go through another failed attempt at fixing the problem myself. If that sounds like a bit of a downer, it is for me. I am glad that the solutions provided in this thread have fixed the problem for quite a few M8 owners, however. It doesn't change an inherent design problem, though, but if they've somehow modified the coating on newer units, that could go a long way to remedying the problem. Then again, because the camera lens cover is so large and flush with the back cover of the phone, I think this particular phone is just going to be more prone to scratching and smudges there anyway. I've been using my OnePlus One for the last week (taking photos outdoors just like a was on the M8) and I'm not seeing anything on the lens. Nor have I ever had this problem on any other phone I've owned (and I've owned many).

mncjr94

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

Seriously look at what toothpaste does. It's wonderful.

IMAG0069.jpg

IMAG0070.jpg

I work at a grocery store and I bought toothpaste and fixed it during my shift. Beautiful.

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

Seriously look at what toothpaste does. It's wonderful.

View attachment 133209

View attachment 133210

I work at a grocery store and I bought toothpaste and fixed it during my shift. Beautiful.

I'd have to say that I'm definitely convinced that there is a problem, I'm just not convinced that toothpaste and a q tip is the best fix. There's no real way of knowing whether or not your phone takes better pics before with a perfect lens than after with the toothpaste lens. My point is that if i stood in your store and took the same picture, after my lens has been upgraded by HTC, would your toothpaste lens perform the same or better than my repaired lens??? I'm inclined to think not, and thus it is still my thought to let HTC fix an inherent defect rather than taking matters into your own hands...but we are all free to do as we please. I'm just glad they repaired my phone free of charge and i should be getting it back today. I will update you on how it works.

But, here's another question..does anyone have issues with camera focusing after the 4.4.3 tmobile update??

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

I bought a couple of packs of camera lens protectors from Slickwraps:

HTC One M8 Lens Protector (Dual Pack)

I am finding that the Slickwraps protectors can cause a bit of lens flare if they aren't kept clean (about the same as when the lens cover coating became scratched or smudged on my original phone). However, it's easily to replace a thin piece of plastic than it is to clean the camera lens itself, so the net result is that I feel it's better to leave them on. Despite the description saying they have "anti-fingerprint technology", fingerprints can easily be seen if you touch them so it's just marketing speak. It's not en elegant solution by any means, nor do I feel satisfied using the phone camera with the protectors covering the lens. But I definitely don't want to go through another failed attempt at fixing the problem myself. If that sounds like a bit of a downer, it is for me. I am glad that the solutions provided in this thread have fixed the problem for quite a few M8 owners, however. It doesn't change an inherent design problem, though, but if they've somehow modified the coating on newer units, that could go a long way to remedying the problem. Then again, because the camera lens cover is so large and flush with the back cover of the phone, I think this particular phone is just going to be more prone to scratching and smudges there anyway. I've been using my OnePlus One for the last week (taking photos outdoors just like a was on the M8) and I'm not seeing anything on the lens. Nor have I ever had this problem on any other phone I've owned (and I've owned many).

Can you attach some comparison shots between your two phones for all of us to see?

grendel187

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
I have had the "lens scratch" issue and fixed it with tooth paste, but then after updating my camera won't focus.

The clear one of the trees is pre "lens scratched" issue. I unfortunately don't have any pictures while the "lens was scratched" but the one with the gas mask is after the tooth paste fix. The blurry one of the trees is after update and after I used tooth paste. The slide picture shows how blurry it really is.

It seems like the focal point is stuck in macro mode even though it is set to auto and macro mode not enabled. I hope there is word of an update or something soon. I've had the phone for four months and want to get this remedied sooner rather than later.

Update: I decided to send my phone to T-Mobile. I am going the warranty repair route. I will try to keep you all updated and definitely post more pics one I get my phone back. They did it'll be about 7-9 business days. Long time to go with out a phone in this day and age but oh well. I unfortunately don't have an old T-Mobile phone either so this is going to be odd. Just like my college days but now there aren't any post phones around.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• IMAG0034.jpg
    IMAG0034.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 110847.jpg
    110847.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMAG0456.jpg
    IMAG0456.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMAG0006.jpg
    IMAG0006.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

Theophylakto

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site

I had the exact same issue. Tesco (my carrier) refused to help and so did HTC. So I tried something and boom, camera is back, and even a week later it's still perfect :)

It's a thing called silver polish. Use a cotton bud to polish the lense with it for about 10/15 minutes. After that wipe it off with a tissue or cloth and it should he good. If it doesn't come off easy use another cotton but with a tiny amount of water to help.

Hope this helps!!!

grendel187

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site

I already "polished" the lens, and it did work for a while but now after updating to 4.4.3 It doesn't focus at all.

replica9000

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site

My M8 started doing this recently. Some of the coating in the center of the lens was missing. I was able to remove some more of it with a credit card, but not all of it is coming off that easy. What I have removed has already helped a lot. Hopefully it's all I need to do, as I'm already on my second M8. I did return my first M8 still unlocked/s-off. It was through Asurion. They never said anything about it being s-off.

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

Can you attach some comparison shots between your two phones for all of us to see?

Sorry, no before repair shots, but took some pretty good night shots. Doesn't look like I have focus issues!

Attachments

• 5034.jpg
    5034.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 5033.jpg
    5033.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 83

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site

Sorry, no before repair shots, but took some pretty good night shots. Doesn't look like I have focus issues!

Yep, those pictures look pretty good. Aside from not being sure if that is a picture of a hamburger, or someone's mouth in really bad shape and in need of a dentist in the second picture they look to have good clarity, contrast, color, and brightness. (I'm guessing the first) ;)

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

Yep, those pictures look pretty good. Aside from not being sure if that is a picture of a hamburger, or someone's mouth in really bad shape and in need of a dentist in the second picture they look to have good clarity, contrast, color, and brightness. (I'm guessing the first) ;)

Pretty cool, you're able to see my hamburger card. I have been able to take some good pics with this camera and I am very satisfied with its performance..

gustav30

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site

So if I try to remove this film, via the number of ways outlined in this thread, but then decide I'd like HTC to repair it, will they consider my warranty voided since I've tried to remove the coating? I'm thinking they'd be able to see some remnants of the coating, or the simple fact that no coating is there to fix...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site

So if I try to remove this film, via the number of ways outlined in this thread, but then decide I'd like HTC to repair it, will they consider my warranty voided since I've tried to remove the coating? I'm thinking they'd be able to see some remnants of the coating, or the simple fact that no coating is there to fix...
Do you even have picture quality issues? Myself and many others don't have any problems with our factory film that appears is installed on all m8s, and no doubt has an intended purpose (otherwise it wouldn't be on all the phones).
From what I recall ChillyWilly posting he/she had to pay for having altered the security on the phone (s-off), not for messing with the lens.
Having said that do you really want to take the chance of making the camera worse or ruining your phone by messing with the factory film? Like ChillyWill I don't advise anyone to modify the lens in any of the ways people have posted in this thread.

gustav30

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site

Do you even have picture quality issues? Myself and many others don't have any problems with our factory film that appears is installed on all m8s, and no doubt has an intended purpose (otherwise it wouldn't be on all the phones).
From what I recall ChillyWilly posting he/she had to pay for having altered the security on the phone (s-off), not for messing with the lens.
Having said that do you really want to take the chance of making the camera worse or ruining your phone by messing with the factory film? Like ChillyWill I don't advise anyone to modify the lens in any of the ways people have posted in this thread.

No, I don't have the issue now, but have had issues with past HTC devices. Most recently purple tint on M7, so like to have a plan if this does happen. I'm OCD that way.

It seems from posts here and XDA some have reported glare problems after removing the film while others haven't. So hard to tell if removing the film does affect quality.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Alcatraz Aronsson

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site

My serial number starts with HT and I have this issue...

well mine starts with SH and i have the problem too... i called HTC service and they tell me that they were unaware of this problem. i have no clue how they can be unaware of this, i said that to the woman who i spoke to and she kept telling me that they had no clue about it...i just thanked and begged that my next person will have atleast some clue about it...sweden aint a good country for HTC customer service :/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781