HTC One (M8): Camera Lens Issue

artofdesign

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm careful with the phone...the glass front and metal back have zero scratches.
But the plastic(?) clear cover over the camera is very scratched. Looks like I took a rock or something to it.
What's the deal? A phone with such killer build quality has such a terrible weak spot? Photos will surely get worse, and you know there isn't room for additional lack of quality.

UPDATE: 5/2014
Beginning around post #140 of this thread a DYI fix began to be discussed, thanks to several contributors. This fix does seem to rectify a very real flaw some users discovered on their M8 device. I'm personally annoyed and shocked HTC overlooked this issue initially and so far are providing inconsistent assistance.
Post #183 shows the DYI results before and after.
Many users found a combo of rubbing alcohol and careful intentional wiping cleared the lens some degree.
Try anything discussed here at your own risk.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: Camera lens cover issue

Why do you believe it's plastic? The glass lens on my One X withstood scratching for 2 years, even though the body around it suffered scratches right up to the glass. I don't expect any less from the M8.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
doesn't help but i am surprised no cased out there offer a built in lens cover

There is actually a glass screen protector that comes with two glass camera lens protectors. It's in the accessories section I think. I will probably end up picking it up just for those and then use my Zagg glass protector for the screen

Also, it is most definitely not plastic covering the lens. It is glass, maybe not gorilla glass 3, but glass nonetheless. Maybe call HTC and see if they can do anything for you?

Posted via Android Central App

ugxvibe

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site

I noticed a few scratches on mine as well a few days ago with no idea what caused it. I have never dropped it and I have a case and I keep it away from anything that would possibly scratch it. I have tried a little water and microfiber to no avail.. bummer.

law2010

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site

I'm careful with the phone...the glass front and metal back have zero scratches.
But the plastic(?) clear cover over the camera is very scratched. Looks like I took a rock or something to it.
What's the deal? A phone with such killer build quality has such a terrible weak spot? Photos will surely get worse, and you know there isn't room for additional lack of quality.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

That stinks. I have avoided putting the phone on anything with a sandy surface to make sure nothing scrapes across it. I am patiently waiting for a leather cover for this phone.

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site

If you think it's scratches, you could try a trick I learned to remove scratches from watch lenses. Use a dab of toothpaste. And rub gently with your finger. Toothpaste has very fine and mild abrasives which might take a scratch out. It will also make your phone minty fresh

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

ugxvibe

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site

Here is mine..makes me sad. The scratches on the case are from just setting it down in various places and normal wear I guess.
tanuneja.jpg

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

firewaterx

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site

It could be worse - I woke up this morning and discovered this...
IMG_20140418_113630.jpg

It has been in an OtterBox since day one and never dropped or hit. :'(

jvmirante

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site

On day 10 I discovered mine was broken as well. Has not been dropped. Verizon could not help me. Odd thing is though, I have not noticed anything showing up in my pictures. Any thoughts on that?

RRHMJ23

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site

Mine isn't too scratched up as of yet. Has anybody noticed that the glass that covers the can Is uneven. I feel a bit of a lip on one side and it's flush on the other

firewaterx

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site

On day 10 I discovered mine was broken as well. Has not been dropped. Verizon could not help me. Odd thing is though, I have not noticed anything showing up in my pictures. Any thoughts on that?

I don't notice anything in my pictures either for some reason. When I saw it, I thought the camera was going to be useless for sure. I just finished up a chat with a T-Mobile rep, and the first thing they asked was if I had heard any crackling or popping sounds when taking pictures. According to them "There seems to be an issue with the camera and it makes a popping or crackling sound, this could cause your camera to crack."

They told me to go to my T-Mobile store and have it checked out to determine my options. According to a user on Reddit with the same problem (M8 Rear Camera Glass Cracked Already? : htcone), they were able to get T-Mobile to send them a replacement and had determined it was a defect.

I was so excited about this phone, but am concerned about the build quality now.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

I don't notice anything in my pictures either for some reason. When I saw it, I thought the camera was going to be useless for sure. I just finished up a chat with a T-Mobile rep, and the first thing they asked was if I had heard any crackling or popping sounds when taking pictures. According to them "There seems to be an issue with the camera and it makes a popping or crackling sound, this could cause your camera to crack."

They told me to go to my T-Mobile store and have it checked out to determine my options. According to a user on Reddit with the same problem (M8 Rear Camera Glass Cracked Already? : htcone), they were able to get T-Mobile to send them a replacement and had determined it was a defect.

I was so excited about this phone, but am concerned about the build quality now.

All phones have build quality issues when they are first released. On the s5 people are reporting the water resistant cover for the usb port is breaking off, just as an example

firewaterx

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site

All phones have build quality issues when they are first released. On the s5 people are reporting the water resistant cover for the usb port is breaking off, just as an example

...which is exactly why I normally wait before getting a new phone. After three years with my HTC Sensation that was constantly rebooting itself and making me sound all mumbled when talking to people on the phone, I couldn't wait any longer!

I guess I should have held out at least a little more...

o2k

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site

The glass is the lens cover, not the lens itself. As long as the crack doesn't go across the lens surface, you should not see anything (extra) on the pictures or the preview screen before the pics are taken.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
...which is exactly why I normally wait before getting a new phone. After three years with my HTC Sensation that was constantly rebooting itself and making me sound all mumbled when talking to people on the phone, I couldn't wait any longer!

I guess I should have held out at least a little more...

On the off chance that you get any phone with defects, all carrier stores have a 14 day return policy. Take it back and get it exchanged for another one

With that mentality, you'll never get a new phone lol

iamstillvince

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Re: HTC One (M8): Camera lens cover issue

dont know if there is some type of coating on these lenses? my scratches look almost like smudges, not sure how to describe but they are thicker/wider than a scratch. look like a bad install of a screen protector almost. doesnt wipe away though . ill have to fire up the old m7 and snap a picture.