Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 28 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 681
Like Tree110Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default HTC One (M8): Camera Lens Issue

    I'm careful with the phone...the glass front and metal back have zero scratches.
    But the plastic(?) clear cover over the camera is very scratched. Looks like I took a rock or something to it.
    What's the deal? A phone with such killer build quality has such a terrible weak spot? Photos will surely get worse, and you know there isn't room for additional lack of quality.


    UPDATE: 5/2014
    Beginning around post #140 of this thread a DYI fix began to be discussed, thanks to several contributors. This fix does seem to rectify a very real flaw some users discovered on their M8 device. I'm personally annoyed and shocked HTC overlooked this issue initially and so far are providing inconsistent assistance.
    Post #183 shows the DYI results before and after.
    Many users found a combo of rubbing alcohol and careful intentional wiping cleared the lens some degree.
    Try anything discussed here at your own risk.


    Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by artofdesign; 05-18-2014 at 05:05 PM.
    Thanked by:
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Camera lens cover issue

    doesn't help but i am surprised no cased out there offer a built in lens cover
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Camera lens cover issue

    Why do you believe it's plastic? The glass lens on my One X withstood scratching for 2 years, even though the body around it suffered scratches right up to the glass. I don't expect any less from the M8.
  4. #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iamstillvince View Post
    doesn't help but i am surprised no cased out there offer a built in lens cover
    There is actually a glass screen protector that comes with two glass camera lens protectors. It's in the accessories section I think. I will probably end up picking it up just for those and then use my Zagg glass protector for the screen

    Also, it is most definitely not plastic covering the lens. It is glass, maybe not gorilla glass 3, but glass nonetheless. Maybe call HTC and see if they can do anything for you?

    Posted via Android Central App
    Quote Originally Posted by Ccota08 View Post
    I keep reading your posts in Bender's voice and it's amazing.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Camera lens cover issue

    mine has lots of scratches, anyone ever tried polishing to take out scratches?
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Camera lens cover issue

    I noticed a few scratches on mine as well a few days ago with no idea what caused it. I have never dropped it and I have a case and I keep it away from anything that would possibly scratch it. I have tried a little water and microfiber to no avail.. bummer.
    Current Device(s):
    Motorola Xoom - Team EOS 4
    Verizon HTC One M8 - Stock, Firewater S-Off
  7. #7  
    law2010's Avatar

    Posts
    221 Posts
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts

    Default Re: Camera lens cover issue

    Quote Originally Posted by artofdesign View Post
    I'm careful with the phone...the glass front and metal back have zero scratches.
    But the plastic(?) clear cover over the camera is very scratched. Looks like I took a rock or something to it.
    What's the deal? A phone with such killer build quality has such a terrible weak spot? Photos will surely get worse, and you know there isn't room for additional lack of quality.

    Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    That stinks. I have avoided putting the phone on anything with a sandy surface to make sure nothing scrapes across it. I am patiently waiting for a leather cover for this phone.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Camera lens cover issue

    I don't think it's scratches,I think it's inside the cover like an adhesion thing ,mines got it too
  9. #9  
    buckifvr's Avatar

    Posts
    726 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,608 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM 4.5 Pro

    Default Re: Camera lens cover issue

    If you think it's scratches, you could try a trick I learned to remove scratches from watch lenses. Use a dab of toothpaste. And rub gently with your finger. Toothpaste has very fine and mild abrasives which might take a scratch out. It will also make your phone minty fresh

    Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk
    Yesterday is but a dream, Tomorrow is but a vision, but Today well lived makes every Yesterday a dream of happiness and every Tomorrow a vision of hope.
    sed51329 likes this.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Camera lens cover issue

    Here is mine..makes me sad. The scratches on the case are from just setting it down in various places and normal wear I guess.

    Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
    Current Device(s):
    Motorola Xoom - Team EOS 4
    Verizon HTC One M8 - Stock, Firewater S-Off
  11. #11  

    Unhappy Re: Camera lens cover issue

    It could be worse - I woke up this morning and discovered this...
    HTC One (M8): Camera Lens Issue-img_20140418_113630.jpg

    It has been in an OtterBox since day one and never dropped or hit.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Camera lens cover issue

    Quote Originally Posted by firewaterx View Post
    It could be worse - I woke up this morning and discovered this...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140418_113630.jpg 
Views:	447 
Size:	649.3 KB 
ID:	113447

    It has been in an OtterBox since day one and never dropped or hit.
    Ouch.. I wonder if its a temperature change issue (not the scratch issue).
    Current Device(s):
    Motorola Xoom - Team EOS 4
    Verizon HTC One M8 - Stock, Firewater S-Off
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Camera lens cover issue

    On day 10 I discovered mine was broken as well. Has not been dropped. Verizon could not help me. Odd thing is though, I have not noticed anything showing up in my pictures. Any thoughts on that?
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Camera lens cover issue

    Mine isn't too scratched up as of yet. Has anybody noticed that the glass that covers the can Is uneven. I feel a bit of a lip on one side and it's flush on the other
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Camera lens cover issue

    Quote Originally Posted by jvmirante View Post
    On day 10 I discovered mine was broken as well. Has not been dropped. Verizon could not help me. Odd thing is though, I have not noticed anything showing up in my pictures. Any thoughts on that?
    I don't notice anything in my pictures either for some reason. When I saw it, I thought the camera was going to be useless for sure. I just finished up a chat with a T-Mobile rep, and the first thing they asked was if I had heard any crackling or popping sounds when taking pictures. According to them "There seems to be an issue with the camera and it makes a popping or crackling sound, this could cause your camera to crack."

    They told me to go to my T-Mobile store and have it checked out to determine my options. According to a user on Reddit with the same problem (M8 Rear Camera Glass Cracked Already? : htcone), they were able to get T-Mobile to send them a replacement and had determined it was a defect.

    I was so excited about this phone, but am concerned about the build quality now.
    Thanked by:
    Dizfunctions and Jesus Janica like this.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Camera lens cover issue

    Quote Originally Posted by firewaterx View Post
    I don't notice anything in my pictures either for some reason. When I saw it, I thought the camera was going to be useless for sure. I just finished up a chat with a T-Mobile rep, and the first thing they asked was if I had heard any crackling or popping sounds when taking pictures. According to them "There seems to be an issue with the camera and it makes a popping or crackling sound, this could cause your camera to crack."

    They told me to go to my T-Mobile store and have it checked out to determine my options. According to a user on Reddit with the same problem (M8 Rear Camera Glass Cracked Already? : htcone), they were able to get T-Mobile to send them a replacement and had determined it was a defect.

    I was so excited about this phone, but am concerned about the build quality now.
    All phones have build quality issues when they are first released. On the s5 people are reporting the water resistant cover for the usb port is breaking off, just as an example

    Posted via Android Central App
    Quote Originally Posted by Ccota08 View Post
    I keep reading your posts in Bender's voice and it's amazing.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Camera lens cover issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Skyway View Post
    All phones have build quality issues when they are first released. On the s5 people are reporting the water resistant cover for the usb port is breaking off, just as an example
    ...which is exactly why I normally wait before getting a new phone. After three years with my HTC Sensation that was constantly rebooting itself and making me sound all mumbled when talking to people on the phone, I couldn't wait any longer!

    I guess I should have held out at least a little more...
  18. #18  
    o2k
    o2k is offline
    o2k's Avatar

    Posts
    59 Posts

    Default Re: Camera lens cover issue

    Quote Originally Posted by jvmirante View Post
    On day 10 I discovered mine was broken as well. Has not been dropped. Verizon could not help me. Odd thing is though, I have not noticed anything showing up in my pictures. Any thoughts on that?
    The glass is the lens cover, not the lens itself. As long as the crack doesn't go across the lens surface, you should not see anything (extra) on the pictures or the preview screen before the pics are taken.
  19. #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firewaterx View Post
    ...which is exactly why I normally wait before getting a new phone. After three years with my HTC Sensation that was constantly rebooting itself and making me sound all mumbled when talking to people on the phone, I couldn't wait any longer!

    I guess I should have held out at least a little more...
    On the off chance that you get any phone with defects, all carrier stores have a 14 day return policy. Take it back and get it exchanged for another one

    With that mentality, you'll never get a new phone lol

    Posted via Android Central App
    Quote Originally Posted by Ccota08 View Post
    I keep reading your posts in Bender's voice and it's amazing.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: HTC One (M8): Camera lens cover issue

    dont know if there is some type of coating on these lenses? my scratches look almost like smudges, not sure how to describe but they are thicker/wider than a scratch. look like a bad install of a screen protector almost. doesnt wipe away though . ill have to fire up the old m7 and snap a picture.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: HTC One (M8): Camera lens cover issue

    I have an almost identical crack in mine I just noticed yesterday. I am super anal about the phone too. Pretty sure it hasn't been hit by anything and never dropped. I think there is an issue with this cover.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: HTC One (M8): Camera lens cover issue

    Quote Originally Posted by glakr View Post
    I have an almost identical crack in mine I just noticed yesterday. I am super anal about the phone too. Pretty sure it hasn't been hit by anything and never dropped. I think there is an issue with this cover.
    Are you able to get a picture of it by any chance? I am trying to compile a list of people with the same issue that I am finding on different sites/forums.

    I don't know if you have seen yet, but it appears to have been an issue with the M7 as well - Cracked Camera Glass. Another build quality issue? - xda-developers.

    If you don't mind me asking, which carrier do you have and what are the first 6 letters/numbers of your serial?
  23. #23  

    Default Re: HTC One (M8): Camera lens cover issue

    I've had the exact same issue. See my picture at the below link. I've posted on HTC's Facebook page, and I encourage everyone else to do so. Their support told me they wouldn't repair it without me paying for it, so perhaps if enough of us make it clear they should be making this right at their expense, we can get it done.


    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw5...it?usp=sharing
    ugxvibe likes this.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: HTC One (M8): Camera lens cover issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Ortwerth-Jewell View Post
    I've posted on HTC's Facebook page, and I encourage everyone else to do so.

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw5...it?usp=sharing
    If mine cracks i'll help out. Hoping it doesnt though.. how is it affecting you photos?
    Current Device(s):
    Motorola Xoom - Team EOS 4
    Verizon HTC One M8 - Stock, Firewater S-Off
  25. #25  
    bmc777's Avatar

    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

    Default Re: HTC One (M8): Camera lens cover issue

    Mine has scratced as well. Slight chipping all over. And lens scratched as well. Been in dot view case since I've owned. Contacted HTC today for warranty

    Posted via Android Central App
Page 1 of 28 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. contact sync issue
    By dixie_boysles in forum HTC One
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-13-2014, 04:32 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-20-2014, 03:07 AM
  3. Android Application Issue
    By Anish Gupta1 in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-19-2014, 04:13 AM
  4. Note 2 Software issues, Unknown Imei and baseband Version
    By Jafreesee in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-19-2014, 03:16 AM
  5. How can I play .wma music files on my HTC Rezound phone?
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-19-2014, 02:40 AM

Posting Permissions