Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

I've taken a couple of shots with the camera in the exact same position with HDR on and then off and the HDR shots seem to actually have smaller file size?

This seems strange. My experience with the iPhone is that HDR takes up more space.

I'm thinking I might just leave HDR on permanently for normal shooting. Any reason not to?

Edit: ah I found a reason not to have HDR on permanently - you can't post edit HDR shots...

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: HDR shots have smaller file size?

Quote Originally Posted by quarrymanpaul View Post
    I've taken a couple of shots with the camera in the exact same position with HDR on and then off and the HDR shots seem to actually have smaller file size?

This seems strange. My experience with the iPhone is that HDR takes up more space.

I'm thinking I might just leave HDR on permanently for normal shooting. Any reason not to?

I just checked mine and two out of the three shots I compared, the HDR pics were a larger file size. Not buy much, HDR is like 800kb and 1.09mb and non HDR is 700kb and 1.02mb, respectively.

The only downside to leaving it on all the time is that will take longer to process the picture, compared to auto where it's almost instantaneous. Otherwise it works very well in a lot of shots, even at night

Quote Originally Posted by Ccota08 View Post
    I keep reading your posts in Bender's voice and it's amazing.

Default Re: HDR shots have smaller file size?

I see you found the answer (duo cam stores extra info) but as far as always shooting HDR goes, the main reason not to would be that it doesn't always look better. For me, only about 1 in every 5 shots has looked better in HDR. But, that's purely a matter of personal taste so go with whatever works for you.