Do you think HTC need to market harder to survive

Ronald Andrews

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I see all these promotions for theS5 buy one get one free from Verizon, free tab 3 from some other carriers and tee shirts, coffee mugs and water bottles at bestbuy. I know HTC makes a great phone but do they complete with the likes of a Samsung.

freddyttt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I see all these promotions for theS5 buy one get one free from Verizon, free tab 3 from some other carriers and tee shirts, coffee mugs and water bottles at bestbuy. I know HTC makes a great phone but do they complete with the likes of a Samsung.

they will survive one way or another.

Kibbster

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
They don't have the marketing budget of Samsung.
The real question is are HTC getting the best marketing they can for the money they've got and is it effective?

ErnstMach

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I think they're doing a pretty good job Tbh with their marketing, I almost never watch TV these days, yet I've seen ads for the M8 multiple times. That's an improvement over last year where I didn't see a single ad for the m7

Posted via Android Central App

hsmithmier

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I think a lot of it has do to do with the m7 was their first phone across all carriers. It even took Samsung a little while to pick up momentum too. The s3 was really the phone that pushed them over as being the first real android iPhone competitor.

But, when the m7 first came out I did see a lot more push towards it. I saw standup HTC vendors at almost every mall I went to and the retail carriers pushed it more too. I'm not sure why the same drive hasn't been implemented into the m8 release, but almost every Verizon store I've been to they've been really impressed with the m8.

Hopefully we will see more of a push towards HTC phones because I've been a huge fan since the original HTC one on AT&T

Those are just my thoughts though.

Posted via Android Central App

coronaboy10

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
These are definitely better than the US commercials I've seen. Hopefully they make US versions that focus on the defining features like these do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYPdIRsJ5qY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKNwas5rWeM

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Probably as good an assessment on the advertising issue as I've heard.
Sometimes it's not the quantity but the quality..... is the message being heard?
When Samsung was doing the heavy barrage against iPhone I thought it was brilliant (I was sporting the M7 and loving it), nevertheless I thought the ads kicked iPhone right in the crotch and it appears to have worked. At the same time HTC was doing the silly dancing troll thing??? If all of the HTC ads in the last year had just focused on the phone and what it does well they may have had significantly better results.

They don't have the marketing budget of Samsung.
The real question is are HTC getting the best marketing they can for the money they've got and is it effective?

aandrew610

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I think they need to change the marketing strategy up a little bit. They focus too much on celebrities in the TV ads and I know my wife hates the current ad even tho she loves the m8 we have. I feel htc needs to focus more on in store advertising. Samsung has things everywhere. And best buy has the Samsung experience good luck getting them to push htc products.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

coronaboy10

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Maybe they just dumb down the commericals for the US.Yeah, I hate those celebrities in the commercials too. As if they actually use the device. As they tweet from idevices. lol

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
It's a tough spot HTC is in. We are at the point where the word "Galaxy" is as synonymous to phones as "iPhone" is. When the average consumer hears Android, they immediately think Galaxy. That's a tough thing to overcome even with a larger marketing budget.

aandrew610

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
It's a tough spot HTC is in. We are at the point where the word "Galaxy" is as synonymous to phones as "iPhone" is. When the average consumer hears Android, they immediately think Galaxy. That's a tough thing to overcome even with a larger marketing budget.

That's definitely true. All my non tech friends ask if every android device I show them is a "Galaxy" Samsung has had a lot of success in pushing the name of their products. I really feel like htc had that back in the evo line up it was starting to get recognition by non tech enthusiasts. But not many people have heard of the "one" let alone the one m8. Most carriers in my area don't even know that the new m8 came out. This may be a bold statement but what if htc started their own "htc experience" in stores like say target or radio shack or stand alone mall kiosks. They may be able to retake some of the market share back that way

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Most people getting the M8, or the last HTC One, have experience with HTC products already. I had the original Droid Incredible on Verizon back in the day, and it's still one of my favorite phones to this day. It's going to take some time, but I think HTC has a good shot to get back some market share from Samsung.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I agree. The "ask the internet" campaign is horrible. It tells you next to nothing about the phone or its features.

Yeah... I understand kind of what they're trying to accomplish with that campaign, but I mean, you can't expect your viewers to go online and remember to look up your device after the show or whatever. You need to give them a little more than just, "go look us up".

It's kind of like someone asking a question on a forum, and then people just saying, "Google it". It can turn people off.

I don't think think it'd be horrible to just show people using the phone, like Samsung's or Apple's commercials. It's not the most original ever, but it's still showing off the phone.

socacola

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
They hired Robert Downey Jr. for $11 Million dollars for marketing campaign and he has some creative freedom in the commercials. So far it hasn't been that great, Robert has great fan follow up with his connection to Marvel and the movie industries, but he's not really being utilized. He made 3 commercials so far, first one he's coming out of a helicopter and they only showed the back of his head. Second commercial he's looking at a performer and he's clapping his hands, also nothing related to the phone. 3rd is the only commercial where he's holding the M8, the previous 2 were during HTC One M7 phase. So yea.....lol

ugxvibe

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I posted this in another thread but it probably belongs here.. :)

This is exactly why I try my best to help them advertise on all my social media and in person. I understand when people say they won't help a company promote a product and that it's their job. The problem is that they ONLY make smartphones which seriously hinders their budget. That budget which is obviously heavily used in R&D of some darn great products. HTC listens to it's customers (HTC Dev unlock for example) and delivers great stuff.

They have been around longer than people think but when they decided to go there own route with the HTC brand focusing on the smartphone only, they delivered.. I am about the biggest HTC fan boy (boi, whatever) you'll meet. Had the Touch Diamond, original DINC, Rezound, M7 and M8. I have seen nothing but innovation and improvements with each new iteration of their flagships.

Check out this video of their beginnings..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alastair