Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Do you think HTC need to market harder to survive

I see all these promotions for theS5 buy one get one free from Verizon, free tab 3 from some other carriers and tee shirts, coffee mugs and water bottles at bestbuy. I know HTC makes a great phone but do they complete with the likes of a Samsung.

Default Re: Do you think HTC need to market harder to survive

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Andrews View Post
    I see all these promotions for theS5 buy one get one free from Verizon, free tab 3 from some other carriers and tee shirts, coffee mugs and water bottles at bestbuy. I know HTC makes a great phone but do they complete with the likes of a Samsung.
    they will survive one way or another.

They don't have the marketing budget of Samsung.
    The real question is are HTC getting the best marketing they can for the money they've got and is it effective?
    Thanked by:
    BBSeattle, mhettrich and cizzlen like this.

I think they're doing a pretty good job Tbh with their marketing, I almost never watch TV these days, yet I've seen ads for the M8 multiple times. That's an improvement over last year where I didn't see a single ad for the m7

Posted via Android Central App

I think a lot of it has do to do with the m7 was their first phone across all carriers. It even took Samsung a little while to pick up momentum too. The s3 was really the phone that pushed them over as being the first real android iPhone competitor.

But, when the m7 first came out I did see a lot more push towards it. I saw standup HTC vendors at almost every mall I went to and the retail carriers pushed it more too. I'm not sure why the same drive hasn't been implemented into the m8 release, but almost every Verizon store I've been to they've been really impressed with the m8.

Hopefully we will see more of a push towards HTC phones because I've been a huge fan since the original HTC one on AT&T

Those are just my thoughts though.

coronaboy10 likes this.

Global Posts
    503 Global Posts
    ROM
    Insert Coin 5.5

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Andrews View Post
    These are definitely better than the US commercials I've seen. Hopefully they make US versions that focus on the defining features like these do.

Probably as good an assessment on the advertising issue as I've heard.
    Sometimes it's not the quantity but the quality..... is the message being heard?
    When Samsung was doing the heavy barrage against iPhone I thought it was brilliant (I was sporting the M7 and loving it), nevertheless I thought the ads kicked iPhone right in the crotch and it appears to have worked. At the same time HTC was doing the silly dancing troll thing??? If all of the HTC ads in the last year had just focused on the phone and what it does well they may have had significantly better results.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibbster View Post
    They don't have the marketing budget of Samsung.
    The real question is are HTC getting the best marketing they can for the money they've got and is it effective?

I think they need to change the marketing strategy up a little bit. They focus too much on celebrities in the TV ads and I know my wife hates the current ad even tho she loves the m8 we have. I feel htc needs to focus more on in store advertising. Samsung has things everywhere. And best buy has the Samsung experience good luck getting them to push htc products.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    503 Global Posts
    ROM
    Insert Coin 5.5

Maybe they just dumb down the commericals for the US.Yeah, I hate those celebrities in the commercials too. As if they actually use the device. As they tweet from idevices. lol

It's a tough spot HTC is in. We are at the point where the word "Galaxy" is as synonymous to phones as "iPhone" is. When the average consumer hears Android, they immediately think Galaxy. That's a tough thing to overcome even with a larger marketing budget.
    Current Devices: OnePlus One, Note 4, Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4

Retired Devices: HTC One M8, Sony Xperia Z2, LG G3, Moto X, Note 3, HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Droid Bionic, HTC Droid Incredible, HTC Droid Eris

Android Addict
    Thanked by 2:
    coronaboy10 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mhettrich View Post
    It's a tough spot HTC is in. We are at the point where the word "Galaxy" is as synonymous to phones as "iPhone" is. When the average consumer hears Android, they immediately think Galaxy. That's a tough thing to overcome even with a larger marketing budget.
    That's definitely true. All my non tech friends ask if every android device I show them is a "Galaxy" Samsung has had a lot of success in pushing the name of their products. I really feel like htc had that back in the evo line up it was starting to get recognition by non tech enthusiasts. But not many people have heard of the "one" let alone the one m8. Most carriers in my area don't even know that the new m8 came out. This may be a bold statement but what if htc started their own "htc experience" in stores like say target or radio shack or stand alone mall kiosks. They may be able to retake some of the market share back that way

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Most people getting the M8, or the last HTC One, have experience with HTC products already. I had the original Droid Incredible on Verizon back in the day, and it's still one of my favorite phones to this day. It's going to take some time, but I think HTC has a good shot to get back some market share from Samsung.

Retired Devices: HTC One M8, Sony Xperia Z2, LG G3, Moto X, Note 3, HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Droid Bionic, HTC Droid Incredible, HTC Droid Eris

Android Addict

Global Posts
    503 Global Posts
    ROM
    Insert Coin 5.5

Also, this is just the 2nd year they've actually had the same device launch on all carriers.
    mhettrich likes this.

They were also hurt last year by not having Verizon release the phone until August.

Android Addict

they need to market more then one phone(m8)imho.....

Quote Originally Posted by coronaboy10 View Post
    These are definitely better than the US commercials I've seen. Hopefully they make US versions that focus on the defining features like these do
    I agree. The "ask the internet" campaign is horrible. It tells you next to nothing about the phone or its features.
    coronaboy10 and cizzlen like this.

Quote Originally Posted by roflwaffleton View Post
    I agree. The "ask the internet" campaign is horrible. It tells you next to nothing about the phone or its features.
    Yeah... I understand kind of what they're trying to accomplish with that campaign, but I mean, you can't expect your viewers to go online and remember to look up your device after the show or whatever. You need to give them a little more than just, "go look us up".

It's kind of like someone asking a question on a forum, and then people just saying, "Google it". It can turn people off.

I don't think think it'd be horrible to just show people using the phone, like Samsung's or Apple's commercials. It's not the most original ever, but it's still showing off the phone.

The UK TV advert for the M8 is actually excellent and made me want one... even though I already had one

Thanked by:
    cizzlen likes this.

They hired Robert Downey Jr. for $11 Million dollars for marketing campaign and he has some creative freedom in the commercials. So far it hasn't been that great, Robert has great fan follow up with his connection to Marvel and the movie industries, but he's not really being utilized. He made 3 commercials so far, first one he's coming out of a helicopter and they only showed the back of his head. Second commercial he's looking at a performer and he's clapping his hands, also nothing related to the phone. 3rd is the only commercial where he's holding the M8, the previous 2 were during HTC One M7 phase. So yea.....lol

I posted this in another thread but it probably belongs here..

This is exactly why I try my best to help them advertise on all my social media and in person. I understand when people say they won't help a company promote a product and that it's their job. The problem is that they ONLY make smartphones which seriously hinders their budget. That budget which is obviously heavily used in R&D of some darn great products. HTC listens to it's customers (HTC Dev unlock for example) and delivers great stuff.

They have been around longer than people think but when they decided to go there own route with the HTC brand focusing on the smartphone only, they delivered.. I am about the biggest HTC fan boy (boi, whatever) you'll meet. Had the Touch Diamond, original DINC, Rezound, M7 and M8. I have seen nothing but innovation and improvements with each new iteration of their flagships.

Check out this video of their beginnings..

Current Device(s):
    Motorola Xoom - Team EOS 4
    Verizon HTC One M8 - Stock, Firewater S-Off

Quote Originally Posted by Kibbster View Post
    The UK TV advert for the M8 is actually excellent and made me want one... even though I already had one

Wow that was a lot better than I thought it would be. It showcased the phone and talked about its main selling point, very nice I liked it! Why don't they use this commercial in the states?

Quote Originally Posted by Ccota08 View Post
    I keep reading your posts in Bender's voice and it's amazing.

Ugh, I've had 5 consecutive HTC phones and this year I was looking forward to trying something different. G3 is the front runner.

Then I go check out the M8...
    Then I snap a few pics...
    Then I see these commercials doing a good job of highlighting the M8 features...

I have the M7 but I find myself wanting the M8 more and more

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app
    Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    LG G3
    Ambassador

This might surprise most people. A well known smartphone site. Surprised me how many more votes it got.

http://www.phonedog.com/rankings/smartphones/

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app
    coronaboy10 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kingvanimal View Post
    This might surprise most people. A well known smartphone site. Surprised me how many more votes it got.

http://www.phonedog.com/rankings/smartphones/

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app
    Yea, I think it's great but someone in here informed us that Phone Dog is full of HTC fan boys.. which sounds like a load of crap to me.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
    Current Device(s):
    Motorola Xoom - Team EOS 4
    Verizon HTC One M8 - Stock, Firewater S-Off
    cizzlen likes this.

What marketing?

I heard about the phone by surfing the net and saw a random forum post. I haven't seen a TV ad or anything official from HTC. The Verizon guys knew nothing about the phone except it was something new and shiny that just came in.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast