HTC One M8 & Swiftkey

Zod1010

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm not loving typing on this device. I've been using SwiftKey for years. The keyboard on the M8 is actually smaller than it was on my S4. But worse, it feels far less accurate. Even when tapping the space bar, which is a sizable key, I often have to tap it multiple times to get it to register the keystroke. Is this something that updates from either HTC or SwiftKey might improve?

khughes6

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: HTC One M* & Swiftkey

My one caveat with SwiftKey on the m8 is that when I'm typing fast for some reason Google Now opens, which is definitely a hindrance.

I believe it happens when I'm pressing somewhere down by the space bar.

Posted via the One successor to the One

MrRicks84

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site

I'm not loving typing on this device. I've been using SwiftKey for years. The keyboard on the M8 is actually smaller than it was on my S4. But worse, it feels far less accurate. Even when tapping the space bar, which is a sizable key, I often have to tap it multiple times to get it to register the keystroke. Is this something that updates from either HTC or SwiftKey might improve?

SwiftKey can be resized. Press & hold the "123" key.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site

My one caveat with SwiftKey on the m8 is that when I'm typing fast for some reason Google Now opens, which is definitely a hindrance.

I believe it happens when I'm pressing somewhere down by the space bar.

Posted via the One successor to the One

You may be inadvertently swiping up on the home button when moving your fingers near the spacebar and launching Google Now.

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site

I've seen some reviewers complain about the stock keyboard too. I've been using SwiftKey in the past, but oddly enough the HTC keyboard has been working really well for me. Their next word prediction is also almost as good as Swiftkey's and I actually prefer its way of offering alternate words for what I'm currently swiping, so I didn't bother putting SwiftKey on yet.

I'm 6'2" and have fairly big hands, so there's hope you could adapt to it.

As far as Google Now, that's probably due to the space bar being low enough on the screen that the phone is confusing your tapping of it with the 'swipe up' gesture that activates Google Now. If you go into Google Now and deactivate that gesture it should help. Good luck!

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site

I'm using the latest SwiftKey beta on my m8 and it's been working just fine. I shrink it down and add the number row. I also float it in landscape mode. This is so I can flow type the same in either orientation.
mu4emyja.jpg

eqe6uhy5.jpg

Sent from my HTC One M8 via Tapatalk 4 Pro

TJGEsq

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I've been using the stock keyboard. I really like SwiftKey, except for how it handles spaces. It's puts a space after everything.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site

Is the beta in any significant way different to the released version?

I'm not sure what the differences are. I'm pretty much always on a beta version. I know the number row was a recent addition and really handy.

quarrymanpaul

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site

I'm using the latest SwiftKey beta on my m8 and it's been working just fine. I shrink it down and add the number row. I also float it in landscape mode. This is so I can flow type the same in either orientation.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/17/mu4emyja.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/17/eqe6uhy5.jpg

How did you get the row of numbers on top? Is that only in the beta version?

Edit: downloaded the beta and it was there.

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
The stock keyboard definitely needs some work. I'm a SwiftKey user so it's not a big deal.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

How did you get the row of numbers on top? Is that only in the beta version?

Edit: downloaded the beta and it was there.

Yes it has been on the beta for a while now. Should come to the paid one soon.

I've been using SwiftKey for a year now and love it.

Posted via Android Central App

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Swiftkey isn't what it used to be. I actually prefer the stock keyboard now. Predictions are much better.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
You can calibrate the stock HTC keyboard for better accuracy. Go in the phone settings then language.

However I'm loving the Google keyboard.

Posted via Android Central App

Fotoav8r

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
I've been using Swiftkey since my GS4, but the voice to text isn't nearly as accurate on the M8 compared to the GS4. Is the translation to text a function of the phone/device, or the program? Maybe it just needs time to learn my vocal characteristics. I had gotten so good on my Galaxy that I very rarely had to make corrections.

law2010

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site

Swiftkey is the way to go. I highly recommend it. If you don't want to pay for it, you could just download the Google keyboard off of the play store, which also works really well and is updated frequently by Google.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke