Which phone is better, GALAXY S5 or HTC ONE M8?

Ddust14

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
M8 hands down. I had the M8 first and while I thought it was a great phone I thought I was missing out on something so I get the S5. Needless to say the S5 was returned a couple days later. The only saving grace on that phone is the camera and despite the processor being clocked higher, it definitely underperformed compared to the M8. Samsung needs to scrap TW plain and simple, it's dated, ugly, and bloated, and it drags the S5 down.

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I enjoy the debate. I'm on the fence about my S5. I'm not 100% happy with it and am looking for reasons and personal experience to jump to it.

Have you ever experienced the M8 personally? If you haven't then you should. I think that will help you make your decision.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

rockitdog23

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Have you ever experienced the M8 personally? If you haven't then you should. I think that will help you make your decision.

I actually went and played with it (the M8 :) over my lunch hour today. Walked out with the S5 still in hand. I have 8 days to change my mind. The camera wasn't that impressive from what I can tell in store. Definitely a sexy looking phone for sure.

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Every time I pick up my phone I want it to work smoothly, no hiccups, no lagging. Every time. The M8 does this. The S5 doesn't. I don't care if the camera is better. I don't take that many pictures. But I do use my phone for a lot more than pictures. So I would hate to have a phone with marginal smoothness. It would bother me every time I used the phone. Not just when taking pictures. I don't know if I am making my point clearly.

Zod1010

May 21, 2013
Visit site
They are the two best devices on the market, and the differences between them are mostly negligible. In the end, it comes down to personal preference. As others have pointed out, the M8's camera criticisms are largely overblown and often show a lack of knowledge on behalf of the writer. If having a waterproof phone is important to you, go for the S5. As I've said before, I spend a lot more time on solid ground than above three foot of water, so the HTC Customer Advantage seems more practical for my purposes. For me, Sense is vastly superior and faster than Touch Wiz. Finally, I find the M8 to be the best looking, most quality-feeling device on the market. Conversely, the S5 looks like a $5 phone. But that's merely my opinion. After having owned an S4, I am extremely impressed with my M8.

Zomb!e

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
They are the two best devices on the market, and the differences between them are mostly negligible. In the end, it comes down to personal preference. As others have pointed out, the M8's camera criticisms are largely overblown and often show a lack of knowledge on behalf of the writer. If having a waterproof phone is important to you, go for the S5. As I've said before, I spend a lot more time on solid ground than above three foot of water, so the HTC Customer Advantage seems more practical for my purposes. For me, Sense is vastly superior and faster than Touch Wiz. Finally, I find the M8 to be the best looking, most quality-feeling device on the market. Conversely, the S5 looks like a $5 phone. But that's merely my opinion. After having owned an S4, I am extremely impressed with my M8.

I pretty much agree 100%. I had the S5 but exchanged it for the M8.

Justintoxicated

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
S5 if you need a fingerprint scanner, heartrate monitor, worry about washing your phone, need a better camera, and screen. (*note some of these things are only marginally better). Or if you need a removable battery!

M8 if you like to mod or want a smooth running phone that will just work, and with better sound and call quality. M8 certainly seems better for an enthusiast. Being able to get a dev-eddition (unlocked bootlaoder) phone at subsidized priced on Verizon is a big difference for me. (unlocked unlimited hotspot is a greater feature than a marginally better screen and more water resistance for me).

Personally I ordered one of each. I will be giving the S5 to my Dad, he mostly wanted it for the camera and it will be his first smart phone.

Zod1010

May 21, 2013
Visit site
The other advantage I think HTC would be wise to play up is the sound quality of the headphone jack. Given the way the low and mid tier headphone market has exploded these past few years, and given some the rave reviews I've seen on the sound reproduction from this phone, HTC would be wise to market. Actually, I'm surprised none of the phone manufacturers have really thought to target this area as one where they could gain a competitive advantage.

cdaq

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
20140412_144132_Android 1.jpg

Although some think it's a gimmick, since I do post some (not a lot) to social media I'm really digging the second (dof) camera. I didn't think I'd care at all but the effects really are pretty fun to play with. It's a definite plus for the M8 and something you can't get on any other device.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
View attachment 113256

Although some think it's a gimmick, since I do post some (not a lot) to social media I'm really digging the second (dof) camera. I didn't think I'd care at all but the effects really are pretty fun to play with. It's a definite plus for the M8 and something you can't get on any other device.

You actually can. The s5, g2 and nexus 5 (with the recent Google camera update) all have a mode that will give you the defocus effect. Also the Google camera app can be downloaded by any Kit Kat device. I own an m8 by the way, so I really like the ufocus but technically there are a lot of phones that can do it.

Posted via Android Central App

cdaq

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
You actually can. The s5, g2 and nexus 5 (with the recent Google camera update) all have a mode that will give you the defocus effect. Also the Google camera app can be downloaded by any Kit Kat device. I own an m8 by the way, so I really like the ufocus but technically there are a lot of phones that can do it.

ummm no, Google blur is not the same thing.

ahutchga1972

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Every time I pick up my phone I want it to work smoothly, no hiccups, no lagging. Every time. The M8 does this. The S5 doesn't. I don't care if the camera is better. I don't take that many pictures. But I do use my phone for a lot more than pictures. So I would hate to have a phone with marginal smoothness. It would bother me every time I used the phone. Not just when taking pictures. I don't know if I am making my point clearly.

I know what you mean. At the end of the day a cellphone's primary purpose is to reliably make calls. Not to take pretty pictures . Besides calls, every other feature, no matter how nifty, is a bonus.

darkhan

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
iphone 5s switched to M8 switched to S5 then back to M8. I like to be fair and try them all, love apple not going to lie but the S5 was just not for me, I don't care for the wider size in my hand and the battery was just as bad as my 5s had gotten to be. The M8 so far will be in my hands until the iphone 6 or note 4 then I am sure I will be swapping around again. Best Buy should place me on the no return policy list lol.

LelandC

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Its really up to personal choice.

For me the M8 provided an overall more seamless experience that integrated the different social media and digital channels that I use on a daily basis. In addition, I like having the camera to play with and find myself editing a lot more photos, especially if I'm going to post them.

Yes, on paper the S5 might have better specs. The camera has more mega pixels, and the phone is waterproof as well as higher clocked in terms of processing speed. However, at the end of the day I'm really looking at the phone as a whole and how it improves my life. I appreciate the style of Sense 6 and BlinkFeed is very useful to me.

If you like the options that the Samsung offers and actually are going to use them regularly, then by all means go for it. But if touchwiz is something that is just going to bother you, go for a phone that is more stock Android like the Nexus.

That's just my two cents. Make the choice that YOU and only you would appreciate the most in the long run.

Posted via the Android Central App using my HTC One (M8)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams