HTC One (M8) in full sun?

iFortWorth

May 16, 2013
Visit site
hey there all. I'm thinking of moving from my S4 to the M8. But one question in regards to the M8. How's the screen outside in full sun? That's my biggest gripe with the s4. Outside it's hard to see of course.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Re: M8 in full sun?

I think the screen is quite readable in full sun. Much better than any of my other smartphones

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

ChrisGonzales90

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site

When set to full brightness it's great. Little troublesome if the screen is dimmed or is on power saving mode as full brightness on power saving mode isn't the same as when psm is off.

Posted via Android Central App

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

hey there all. I'm thinking of moving from my S4 to the M8. But one question in regards to the M8. How's the screen outside in full sun? That's my biggest gripe with the s4. Outside it's hard to see of course.

Thanks

I just tested my S4 vs the m8 in direct sunlight yesterday. None had an advantage or was easy to read in direct sunlight. Anyone who says that the m8 will be better then the S4 (or the S5 with its brighter screen), simply hadn't tested it.

Posted via Android Central App on my all new One

iFortWorth

May 16, 2013
Visit site

I just tested my S4 vs the m8 in direct sunlight yesterday. None had an advantage or was easy to read in direct sunlight. Anyone who says that the m8 will be better then the S4 (or the S5 with its brighter screen), simply hadn't tested it.

Not what I really wanted to hear, but thanks for the comparison. Still think I'll make the job though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

What? Having owned the S4 and currently owning the M8, the M8 is clearly way better in sunlight than the S4. I have my phones always on auto-brightness and the M8 can simply go brighter than the S4 can and is very clearly visible in sunlight. The S4 was harder to see.

jspring86

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site

I have to agree the M8 is superior in sunlight. I currently own the M8 and Note 3 and find the M8 much better for use in bright sunlight. I'm in Arizona, so my bright sunlight testing has been quite extensive!

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

I have to agree the M8 is superior in sunlight. I currently own the M8 and Note 3 and find the M8 much better for use in bright sunlight. I'm in Arizona, so my bright sunlight testing has been quite extensive!

It's been pretty bright/hot Autumn here in Brisbane Australia, and the screen is superb in bright daylight. Every day when I go out to lunch, sun beaming down, I never have to worry about the screen.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site

Anyone who says that the m8 will be better then the S4 (or the S5 with its brighter screen), simply hadn't tested it.

Actually, a test was published and the M8 screen was found to be significantly brighter.

I was having trouble in direct sun until I learned to not shield the screen from sun when in auto mode. If the sun hits the sensor it will bump it up 100% and be easy to read.

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site

My HTC DNA and LG G2 are both easier to view then the S4 by a good margin and DNA is nearly 2 year old phone,and this i have tested,amlod displays are inferior to lcd in this catagory,before i got my G2 i got the S4,after hearing users on this fourm say they have no problem with amlod displays in sun,man they where either working for Samsung or complete bs artists.

freddyttt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

I call bs..... the M8 is as easy to see in DIRECT sun as it is in the shade, you either have a screen protector on or were NOT at full brightness. the S4 is impossible to see and the S5 although is better it's still hard to see...

lilchrissyy

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site

When set to full brightness it's great. Little troublesome if the screen is dimmed or is on power saving mode as full brightness on power saving mode isn't the same as when psm is off.

i had this problem today i had my brightness set down fully and went outside for a cig went too read email in full sun could not see my screen at all but once the brightness is turned up a lil bit its fine

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site

I can't see the screen worth a damn when I've got my sunglasses on.

Polarized sunglasses? I can see my M8 just fine at full brightness in direct sunlight with my sunglasses on. Additionally to respond to comparisons to the GS4 and 5, in my experience, LCD has always been vastly superior in the sunlight to AMOLED.

torifile

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

Polarized sunglasses? I can see my M8 just fine at full brightness in direct sunlight with my sunglasses on. Additionally to respond to comparisons to the GS4 and 5, in my experience, LCD has always been vastly superior in the sunlight to AMOLED.
Yes but I'm pretty sure I could see my iPhone 5s screen with them on...

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I tested both on max brightness, both with out screen protectors on them. Both held on the same hand, in full direct sunlight.

The m8 had whiter, whites.
The S4 had far better blacks.
Both were no easyer to view, and was more or less the same.
No winner in my book.

freddyttt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

of course....