Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By buckifvr
  • 1 Post By I Can Be Your Hero
  • 1 Post By jspring86
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HTC One (M8) in full sun?

hey there all. I'm thinking of moving from my S4 to the M8. But one question in regards to the M8. How's the screen outside in full sun? That's my biggest gripe with the s4. Outside it's hard to see of course.

Thanks
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 04-17-2014 at 01:47 AM.

Global Posts
    1,608 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM 4.5 Pro

Default Re: M8 in full sun?

I think the screen is quite readable in full sun. Much better than any of my other smartphones

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk
    Yesterday is but a dream, Tomorrow is but a vision, but Today well lived makes every Yesterday a dream of happiness and every Tomorrow a vision of hope.
    Thanked by:
    iFortWorth likes this.

Global Posts
    1,646 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

When set to full brightness it's great. Little troublesome if the screen is dimmed or is on power saving mode as full brightness on power saving mode isn't the same as when psm is off.

Posted via Android Central App
    My cell phone history for the last decade.

2005/2006: Motorola W315, Motorola razr
    2007: Motorola W385
    2008: HTC shadow
    2009/2010: Motorola i335, Motorola i9, Blackbery 8330,
    2010: HTC EVO 4G
    2011: HTC EVO 3D, HTC rezound
    2012: HTC EVO LTE
    2014: HTC ONE M8.

Quote Originally Posted by iFortWorth View Post
    hey there all. I'm thinking of moving from my S4 to the M8. But one question in regards to the M8. How's the screen outside in full sun? That's my biggest gripe with the s4. Outside it's hard to see of course.

Thanks
    I just tested my S4 vs the m8 in direct sunlight yesterday. None had an advantage or was easy to read in direct sunlight. Anyone who says that the m8 will be better then the S4 (or the S5 with its brighter screen), simply hadn't tested it.

Posted via Android Central App on my all new One
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post
    I just tested my S4 vs the m8 in direct sunlight yesterday. None had an advantage or was easy to read in direct sunlight. Anyone who says that the m8 will be better then the S4 (or the S5 with its brighter screen), simply hadn't tested it.

Not what I really wanted to hear, but thanks for the comparison. Still think I'll make the job though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

What? Having owned the S4 and currently owning the M8, the M8 is clearly way better in sunlight than the S4. I have my phones always on auto-brightness and the M8 can simply go brighter than the S4 can and is very clearly visible in sunlight. The S4 was harder to see.
    Thanked by:
    jspring86 likes this.

I have to agree the M8 is superior in sunlight. I currently own the M8 and Note 3 and find the M8 much better for use in bright sunlight. I'm in Arizona, so my bright sunlight testing has been quite extensive!

Quote Originally Posted by jspring86 View Post
    I have to agree the M8 is superior in sunlight. I currently own the M8 and Note 3 and find the M8 much better for use in bright sunlight. I'm in Arizona, so my bright sunlight testing has been quite extensive!
    It's been pretty bright/hot Autumn here in Brisbane Australia, and the screen is superb in bright daylight. Every day when I go out to lunch, sun beaming down, I never have to worry about the screen.

Anyone who says that the m8 will be better then the S4 (or the S5 with its brighter screen), simply hadn't tested it.

Actually, a test was published and the M8 screen was found to be significantly brighter.

I was having trouble in direct sun until I learned to not shield the screen from sun when in auto mode. If the sun hits the sensor it will bump it up 100% and be easy to read.

My HTC DNA and LG G2 are both easier to view then the S4 by a good margin and DNA is nearly 2 year old phone,and this i have tested,amlod displays are inferior to lcd in this catagory,before i got my G2 i got the S4,after hearing users on this fourm say they have no problem with amlod displays in sun,man they where either working for Samsung or complete bs artists.

I call bs..... the M8 is as easy to see in DIRECT sun as it is in the shade, you either have a screen protector on or were NOT at full brightness. the S4 is impossible to see and the S5 although is better it's still hard to see...
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

LOL Sounds like I am going to have to find out for myself when I upgrade....

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGonzales90 View Post
    When set to full brightness it's great. Little troublesome if the screen is dimmed or is on power saving mode as full brightness on power saving mode isn't the same as when psm is off.

i had this problem today i had my brightness set down fully and went outside for a cig went too read email in full sun could not see my screen at all but once the brightness is turned up a lil bit its fine

I can't see the screen worth a damn when I've got my sunglasses on.

Quote Originally Posted by torifile View Post

thats true... take them off

Polarized sunglasses? I can see my M8 just fine at full brightness in direct sunlight with my sunglasses on. Additionally to respond to comparisons to the GS4 and 5, in my experience, LCD has always been vastly superior in the sunlight to AMOLED.

Quote Originally Posted by kronosqq View Post
    Polarized sunglasses? I can see my M8 just fine at full brightness in direct sunlight with my sunglasses on. Additionally to respond to comparisons to the GS4 and 5, in my experience, LCD has always been vastly superior in the sunlight to AMOLED.
    Yes but I'm pretty sure I could see my iPhone 5s screen with them on...

Default Re: HTC One (M8) in full sun?

I tested both on max brightness, both with out screen protectors on them. Both held on the same hand, in full direct sunlight.

The m8 had whiter, whites.
    The S4 had far better blacks.
    Both were no easyer to view, and was more or less the same.
    No winner in my book.

Yes but I'm pretty sure I could see my iPhone 5s screen with them on...
    Apparently there are two screen manufacturers, one which works with polarized glasses and one that doesn't. I unfortunately have the screen that doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by kronosqq View Post
    of course....

I was outside in full sun earlier today and I had no problems seeing the phone in the sun. It wasn't even a stretch.

I was outside in full sun earlier today and I had no problems seeing the phone in the sun. It wasn't even a stretch.

And there you have it!!! I was with someone that had an s5 and i tested both phone. we were in a shadow type effect inside a car sun was going down and the s5 was very hard to see....
    no problem with the m8.

Global Posts
    343 Global Posts

I have the M8 and my coworker has the S5. If you turn brightness up all the way on both of them, there is no issue seeing the screens in direct sunlight. I live in Florida, and it is very sunny.

I will note that my M8 is slightly brighter than the S5 in direct sunlight. They are both great phones for viewing things outside.

I would recommend the M8 over the S5 anyday since the aluminum body is so much more premium in my personal opinion.