Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By buckifvr
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

I hate being one of those guys, but my OCD gets the best of me way too often with my gadgets.
    I picked up my first M8 last Friday when it was released for T-Mobile. Being the stickler I am, I opened up the box in the store to check out the build to see if it was a keeper. Everything seemed to check out -- the screen was almost completely flush with the boomsound inserts (one spot was sunken in; though I thought I could ignore it fine). The main thing I was concerned with before getting the device was the volume button, because several people complained here of having a very loose volume button that would rattle and such. I lucked out with my first device as the volume button, while not completely without play, didn't rattle or make sound when touched or shaken.

It wasn't till I got home that I noticed how damn loose the power button was. Nearly to the point of falling out it seemed (I have no idea how I overlooked it earlier). Any who... the button slowly got to me and I ended up returning it for a replacement on Tuesday. However, now with the replacement the volume button is so loose that it makes a loud metal-on-metal click when touched with the slightest amount of pressure. Once again, I thought I could live with it... but I just can't. These glaring hardware inconsistencies are driving me insane. I don't know how people who run with no case can handle some of the build faults that have seemingly plagued this launch.

Anyone sharing my pain, or do you all think I'm crazy? (I just want things to be acceptable for the $600+ I paid)
    Should I just get a refund and wait it out a few weeks until some fresh batches come through, or should I continue with the whole replacement game?

Posted via Android Central App
    Banned

Global Posts
    706 Global Posts

Default Re: Second M8 going back tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Jdane07 View Post
    I hate being one of those guys, but my OCD gets the best of me way too often with my gadgets.
    I picked up my first M8 last Friday when it was released for T-Mobile. Being the stickler I am, I opened up the box in the store to check out the build to see if it was a keeper. Everything seemed to check out -- the screen was almost completely flush with the boomsound inserts (one spot was sunken in; though I thought I could ignore it fine). The main thing I was concerned with before getting the device was the volume button, because several people complained here of having a very loose volume button that would rattle and such. I lucked out with my first device as the volume button, while not completely without play, didn't rattle or make sound when touched or shaken.

It wasn't till I got home that I noticed how damn loose the power button was. Nearly to the point of falling out it seemed (I have no idea how I overlooked it earlier). Any who... the button slowly got to me and I ended up returning it for a replacement on Tuesday. However, now with the replacement the volume button is so loose that it makes a loud metal-on-metal click when touched with the slightest amount of pressure. Once again, I thought I could live with it... but I just can't. These glaring hardware inconsistencies are driving me insane. I don't know how people who run with no case can handle some of the build faults that have seemingly plagued this launch.

Anyone sharing my pain, or do you all think I'm crazy? (I just want things to be acceptable for the $600+ I paid)
    Should I just get a refund and wait it out a few weeks until some fresh batches come through, or should I continue with the whole replacement game?

Well, I would say if the problem is this much bad you should wait a bit more for the new batch, I think the HTC people are just creating device foolishly without check for the defects, Just get a refund I don't think that you have paid $600 just to get some sneaky crap devices. that's is just unaccepted !! In my opinion wait for the fresh batch or go for samsung s5 rather than waiting for HTC.

Global Posts
    1,688 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CleanROM 4.5 Pro

Sounds like a severe case of OCD. I think if you try hard enough you will always find something to complain about with any device. Reading forums and hearing what others complain about just makes it that much worse. We all would like things to be perfect, but nothing is perfect. Don't sweat the small things and I think you'll be much happier and be able to enjoy whatever device you have.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    649 Global Posts

I agree it seems like you're getting a little OCD on it, but I also think that the user experience is the MOST important part of any phone and we're all different. If you're not happy with it then you need to find a unit that makes you happy because your phone is such a big part of your daily life.

I have my own OCD stuff, thankfully it's mostly how I organize stuff and not physical, so I get it 100% but I do also agree w/ others that when it comes to such complex hardware there's almost always SOMETHING to find... just gotta get out of that mindset. Until you do, though, you need to find what makes you happy.

Somehow it seems more important if you are paying full unsubsidized price. At least that's how I feel.

Global Posts
    1,688 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CleanROM 4.5 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by jneusch View Post
    Somehow it seems more important if you are paying full unsubsidized price. At least that's how I feel.

That I understand. The more we pay the more we expect.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

I returned my first M8 because of my OCD as well. When playing voicemail over the loudspeaker for example at full volume, there were times when the top speaker would crackle or make a brief hissing sound. It's hard to explain but it almost sounded as if the speaker wasn't fully seated properly if that makes sense - although it also could have been a damaged speaker. Either way, I tried to live with it but it bugged me as I am a bit of a perfectionist and the new or replacement phone is spot on. I'm glad I exchanged it.

Last time I had a phone with a loose button I forgot about it as soon as I slapped a case on the device. (integrated button covers)
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by rahxephon View Post
    Last time I had a phone with a loose button I forgot about it as soon as I slapped a case on the device. (integrated button covers)
    I couldn't bring myself to slap a case on it... too pretty of a device.
    I don't put cases on any of the devices I purchase, and I honestly can't remember a time where I dropped a phone and actually damaged it in one way or another.

So I did in fact return my M8 today. I'll wait it out a little bit and see if quality control improves.
    However, I handled the Xperia Z1S for the first time while in the store, and the build on that thing blew me away... possibly the most sturdily built phone I've ever seen.
    I'll be giving those eBay listings for an unlocked Xperia Z2 a hard look over the next few days.

I hate going through this too, I read the threads on it and when I got my M8 I didn't even want to check if the buttons were loose.

That lasted 3-4 hours before I caved. It was somewhat loose but it didn't make a difference since I had to return it because of Mac & Android File Transfer not getting along.

Rattling if loud enough can ruin any device. Especially if you can hear it when video recording. That is unacceptable on any device.

Quote Originally Posted by SocratesRising View Post
    I returned my first M8 because of my OCD as well. When playing voicemail over the loudspeaker for example at full volume, there were times when the top speaker would crackle or make a brief hissing sound. It's hard to explain but it almost sounded as if the speaker wasn't fully seated properly if that makes sense - although it also could have been a damaged speaker. Either way, I tried to live with it but it bugged me as I am a bit of a perfectionist and the new or replacement phone is spot on. I'm glad I exchanged it.
    I the same thing with last year's M7. I think it's something that happens with the boomsound that you can't fix. You may not hear the crackling now but I guarantee you will.

I would expect QC to be a little inconsistent with the first batch run of a device like this. My power and volume buttons have the slightest amount of play, but nothing to the point of either of them rattling or feeling like they are insecure. I can barely catch my fingernail in the screen-to-speaker transition. Otherwise, the rest of mine is absolutely perfect.

I have a loose volume button... took it back on the 14th day of possesion... The manager at verizon said she didnt see it as a deffect and so we looked at their "pawed" floor models and the grey one had less wiggle than their silver one, but mine had more wiggle than both [combined] of their floor models... they said no. so I went down the street to the next Verizon store and found that their floor model was absolutely superb so tight I think water would have a hard time finding entry. && it worked perfect. I did not get a new phone as they said [agreeing with the other store manager] that it was going to be 35$ repacking fee as it was not a deffect. they dont even understand that I wish to do good for htc by showing off their phone and bragging about how good it is.. but now I doubt I will ever show off my phone M8 again knowing the volume rocker is way too loose to be even close to iphone quality and yes all the people I seem to know have litle fruity tiny screened phones.... So what I can do is I can get replacements in the mail for free [I think for free] until I find a good one.. the good one I found was so good that I am very jealous and as a result very unhappy with verizon. If you want to go to 2980 state St, Santa Barbara, CA on google maps and leave a rating, lol.. ,,anyways it sucks to know more than the poeple who work at a cell store, cause they cant even imagine that you dont need help with your email setup and definitely we buyers of cell phones wouldnt have a clue as to what a wiggley button looks like compared to a solid button... . its my fault, as always, the end is yet to come of this event.

My OCD ranks right up there with the best of them! Especially when it comes to grammar, but that's a whole other topic. I've got to believe that the MAJORITY of M8 owners are covering them with a case. No? I'm no case expert, but don't most cases cover up the volume rockers anyway? With that said, how are you really going to know that your volume buttons are loose? I just checked my volume rockers underneath the case. Yup. They're loose, but I don't know that when I use them because they're covered up! I ask one last question. What makes people think that after pushing the volume rockers day after day, month after month, that they're NOT going to get a little play in them? Just my 2 cents. No phone is perfect, but function versus fit is most important in my book.