Android users...please put me at ease

mmmcheesedanish

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I've had an iPhone 4S for over 2 and a half years. When the 5s came and there was not a bigger screen I planned my escape.

I got an HTC One M8, phones awesome but I question the battery and I'm familiar with 4G drain and such. At 19 hours my phone is at 29% but a lot of that was in sleep mode. I made one 5 minute call, used navigation for about 30 minutes, texted throughout the day, used the browser a little, Facebook a little, email super lightly and woke the phone up a lot throughout my work day to check notifications. Sound ok?

Kelly Burby

Banned
Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I've had an iPhone 4S for over 2 and a half years. When the 5s came and there was not a bigger screen I planned my escape.

I got an HTC One M8, phones awesome but I question the battery and I'm familiar with 4G drain and such. At 19 hours my phone is at 29% but a lot of that was in sleep mode. I made one 5 minute call, used navigation for about 30 minutes, texted throughout the day, used the browser a little, Facebook a little, email super lightly and woke the phone up a lot throughout my work day to check notifications. Sound ok?

Well, I don't think that just sounds okay. It's draining battery much more faster I have been hearing a lot of complaints from the users who had just managed to get their hands on HTC some say that it has loose volume button, some say that it has loose power but and you were telling me that it's draining battery power much more faster, that sure draws me the bad figure of the HTC one M8, yesterday I was planning to buy one but after hearing this much .... I am now definitely sure that I would go forward with the Samsung S5.

Kibbster

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site

19 hours at 29% sounds perfectly acceptable.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Without seeing screenshots of your power usage it's difficult to say if this is ok in response to your uncertainty. But after 19 hours of usage and having 29% battery left sounds reasonable if you used it moderately. You have to remember that these are powerful devices and that battery is driving a big 1080p screen, several radios and a quad core processor. While HTC has done a wonderful job of optimizing power use, it won't run forever on a single charge. I use to constantly worry about battery use and constantly watch my battery percentage until I just accepted that these things need power. Now I just use it like I want to, I don't turn off functions to conserve battery, I use it to its full capability everyday and as long as it gets me through the day I'm good. I plug in to charge every night while I'm sleeping and then good to go the next day. I've not yet had a day where the M8 has disappointed me or failed to get me through the day on a single charge. The battery use of the M8 has been outstanding and much better than any of my previous phones, including iPhones 3, 4, 5, Galaxies S3 & 4, Moto X and Nexus 5.

LCFC Tom

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Kelly Burby Dont rule the HTC out most people get excellent battery life out of it me included and not felt a more solidly built device

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Kibbster

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
Without seeing screenshots of your power usage it's difficult to say if this is ok in response to your uncertainty. But after 19 hours of usage and having 29% battery left sounds reasonable if you used it moderately. You have to remember that these are powerful devices and that battery is driving a big 1080p screen, several radios and a quad core processor. While HTC has done a wonderful job of optimizing power use, it won't run forever on a single charge. I use to constantly worry about battery use and constantly watch my battery percentage until I just accepted that these things need power. Now I just use it like I want to, I don't turn off functions to conserve battery, I use it to its full capability everyday and as long as it gets me through the day I'm good. I plug in to charge every night while I'm sleeping and then good to go the next day. I've not yet had a day where the M8 has disappointed me or failed to get me through the day on a single charge. The battery use of the M8 has been outstanding and much better than any of my previous phones, including iPhones 3, 4, 5, Galaxies S3 & 4, Moto X and Nexus 5.

Couldn't have put it better myself!
The only way a phone is never going to use power is when it's shutdown.
Add long as it gets you through the day, you're golden :)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
As someone who uses gps every day, I know just how much of a battery drain it is. Using it for 30 mins, with some added light use and you get 19 hours of battery time from your phone? Sounds great and right for the HTC One m8. You won't be able to do that on any of your past phones, that's for sure.

My best so far is 23 hours with light use and no gps.

Posted via Android Central App

torifile

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Navigation is a killer for battery life. And are you sure GPS was off after you were done with it? 19 hours is plenty good though. Just get into the habit of charging each night. That's what I do and have done with my iPhone for years.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site

Sounds a lot better than my wife's iPhone 5. Just charge it every night before you go to bed and you'll be fine. Navigation is the biggest battery killer.

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I agree that 19 hours use with 29% left is pretty reasonable. Just charge it every night while sleeping and you should be good to go. Personally I think the battery life on the M8 is outstanding, much better than any other smartphone I have ever had.

arisenfury

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Well, I don't think that just sounds okay. It's draining battery much more faster I have been hearing a lot of complaints from the users who had just managed to get their hands on HTC some say that it has loose volume button, some say that it has loose power but and you were telling me that it's draining battery power much more faster, that sure draws me the bad figure of the HTC one M8, yesterday I was planning to buy one but after hearing this much .... I am now definitely sure that I would go forward with the Samsung S5.

You do realize this forum and others are a small percentage of actual owners? Don't sell the phone short because 1% are having battery issues.

Dogmann

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi all

Not only have i found battery life to be brilliant on my M8 but it also charges faster then any other phone I've ever had and that has really surprised me. I have syncing on all the time for Google Now, my calendar and 3 E-mail accounts on push and only GPS, WiFi and Bluetooth are turned off when not in use i also always have my screen brightness on full as i always do on all my phones as personally always want the best screen experience possible all the time. This is the first HTC phone i have had since the HTC HD WM 6.5 days so I'm far from being a HTC fan boy and have to say i am really impressed by not just the excellent build quality of the M8 but also by how unobtrusive Sense is initially i was planning on flashing my M8 to a GPE Rom but now really can't see the point. Which is very different to how i felt about my Galaxy S3 which ran a Nexus Rom from as soon as i got it as couldn't stand all that Samsung bloat and TouchWiz. As i have typed this post i have just checked my Battery stats and after 21h 49m 5s i am on 50% i don't know about anyone else but i think that's pretty amazing and I'm not using any battery saving modes either.

Marc

mmmcheesedanish

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
19 % at 24 hours. I can say that standby time is good but to me it depleted a little fast during usage. I woke up and it was at 25%. I'm testing endurance so didn't charge it overnight. I've had the screen on for maybe 20 minutes, listened to ringtones on Zedge, took a screenshot and searched this board in that time and I'm at 18%. I can upload a screen capture of my battery history but I can't figure out how. 17% now

quanitc

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Seems about right but, depends on many variables; screen brightness, background refresh, apps installed, wifi on or off, etc. With everything on my phone lasts all day but is getting low by bedtime. Thats with listening to music, playing videos, email, facebook, etc etc.

If I turn background refresh off, reduce the screen brightness, make sure I turn WIFI off when not in use, (but still use the phone loads) I can have as much as 30-35% left after a good 18 hour day.

You have to be really trying to run the battery out within a day I find.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

All phones have issues. Go ahead and look in the s5 forums, same type of issues. Battery drain, software issues, water resistant cover for the ports are breaking off. Don't single out one brand when they all have problems

slb21

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site

I can't speak for iPhone operations, but with Android, it's always best to ensure that your programs are fully shut down and not operational - otherwise, they're using juice in the background. Also, make sure your screen isn't on the brightest setting. In my experience, navigation can also be a big culprit. I'm finding that my battery lasts 1.5-2 days of light-to-moderate use.

digitard

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I will be honest. I didn't read the above responses. I did see some familiar posters that I tend to agree with so I am guessing a good chunk of this you have. Although my own OCD wants me to reply so I am.

Android, while insanely customizable, also has a few things that can suck battery.
#1. Turn off automatic Sync if you can. SETTINGS -- Accounts -- Turn off sync or at least go into each account and disable any pieces you really don't need syncing.
#2. Apps: Same thing as above for apps. Social Media, Weather and Email apps are the most common. Most have a section in the settings to set the refresh period. Turn them to Manual or at least a more realistic side. I pretty much disable auto-sync across the board. I can wait 1.5 seconds for Facebook to pull the updated feed, or for my email to sync (mainly because I hate having pushed emails constantly makign me want to check them and 95% of the time I don't care right then...lol).
#3. GPS / Location: Limit the depth of that. I tend to leave mine in POWER SAVING unless I'm travelling and then I set it for regular GPS while I use Google Maps.
#4.. Bluetooth, NFC, Wifi and the such. Disable them if they're not in use as there's no point. Especially NFC.
#5. If you do Root your phone... install Greenify. It takes almost no juice (it never shows up in my battery consumption portions of any relevance) but it's designed to keep apps from waking your phone and running in the background when they're not in use. You can specify the apps it manages so if you have something you don't want it to monitor (weather, mms and so forth) you can let those run as much as they want, but the things you DO want to limit use it will keep them from waking your phone. Wakelock prevention can help a lot.
#6. Set your screen to a lower brightness setting unless you need it, or at least set it to Auto.
#7. If you don't root your phone, in response to my #5, shut down apps as you're not using them so they don't try to eat up CPU processes, or data checks.

The above tends to help me a lot. Refresh/Sync is a HUGE side of things for me because just about every app now a days wants to update pieces, and that can tax your phone quite a bit when not on WIFI due to it pulling LTE data for it.

oaklandm

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I have just moved from an iPhone 5 to the One M8 and I can't fault the battery life. Today I watched 2 tv shows whilst on the way to work, checked twitter all day and browsed the internet frequently, made a few calls, played games etc. Battery is still going now from 5am this morning. Best phone for battery I've had in years.

sed51329

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
As someone who uses gps every day, I know just how much of a battery drain it is. Using it for 30 mins, with some added light use and you get 19 hours of battery time from your phone? Sounds great and right for the HTC One m8. You won't be able to do that on any of your past phones, that's for sure.

My best so far is 23 hours with light use and no gps.

I hate how much navigation drains the battery. It's been that way for years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith