Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kibbster
  • 1 Post By Will6371
  • 1 Post By Benjamin_NYC
  • 2 Post By Mooncatt
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How long does it take to fully charge?

Hi,

I think that USB charging is really slow. Yesterday, it took more than 6 hours to fully charge my HTC One. Charging via A/C is much faster, but I wouldn't expect that big difference. Has anyone else noticed that?

Carrier
    ICS 4.0.3

Default Re: How long does it take to fully charge?

USB charging is and has always been slow, unless you are using USB 3.0

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    649 Global Posts

Standard Computer USB 2.0 ports I think are .5A generally.
    USB 3.0 I haven't looked up, honestly. I know USB 2.0 can support more, but I think most output about .5A as they're really only set to provide base power.
    The stock charge is 1.5A (so quite a bit quicker)
    The "rapid charger" will probably be 2.1A. I have a 2.1A charger in my car, and at home and it charges my phone fine.

So in your case you'd see a pretty significant difference charging via the included wall vs USB charge. That's fairly common for phones/tables.

I'm fairly sure the new charger will just be their release of the above, but haven't really looked into it or compared a significant charge on the stock vs my 2.1 chargers to see if it varies honestly.

I'll drain my phone down to 50% and charge it to full and see the time with stock, and then same w/ the 2.1A charger and see how it varies.

Global Posts
    1,709 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CleanROM 4.5 Pro

Using the stock wall charger my battery charges from 2% to 100 % in about 3:10

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by buckifvr View Post
    Using the stock wall charger my battery charges from 2% to 100 % in about 3:10

That is what I found also. Using USB (my iMac has USB 3 but the HTC apparently not), it takes 6 hours.

Global Posts
    1,709 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CleanROM 4.5 Pro

I'll try charging with USB tomorrow

If I plug in to USB when the PC is off it warns me the phone is on slow charge, if I plug in when the PC is on it doesn't.
    Wall charging is definitely faster and on a par with my other phones.

It feels like USB charging is slower than previous phones but I haven't really timed it so not sure.
    The Royaloak likes this.

yes!! just my my new m8 last week. I let the batter empty completely and now I'm charging it. It's been connected to my computer for hours now and I am just at 52%

Why do people find it so hard to understand that it will take longer to charge if your using a type of charging that has a smaller output?

Look at it this way, if you have two tanks that are 100 litres each in capacity and in one of them you have it being filled with a pump that pumps at .5 litre per minute and the other is being filled with a pump that is pumping at 2 litres per minute.

Is it that hard to figure out that the pump that is filling the tank at .5 litre per minute is going to take longer to fill the tank.
    kct1975 likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,898 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Will6371 View Post
    Why do people find it so hard to understand that it will take longer to charge if your using a type of charging that has a smaller output?

Look at it this way, if you have two tanks that are 100 litres each in capacity and in one of them you have it being filled with a pump that pumps at .5 litre per minute and the other is being filled with a pump that is pumping at 2 litres per minute.

Is it that hard to figure out that the pump that is filling the tank at .5 litre per minute is going to take longer to fill the tank.
    Yeah I don't get it. Obviously it's going to slower on the USB only charger. Not sure why people are always surprised by that.

Posted via Android Central App
    kct1975 likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,898 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitard View Post
    Standard Computer USB 2.0 ports I think are .5A generally.
    USB 3.0 I haven't looked up, honestly. I know USB 2.0 can support more, but I think most output about .5A as they're really only set to provide base power.
    The stock charge is 1.5A (so quite a bit quicker)
    The "rapid charger" will probably be 2.1A. I have a 2.1A charger in my car, and at home and it charges my phone fine.

So in your case you'd see a pretty significant difference charging via the included wall vs USB charge. That's fairly common for phones/tables.

I'm fairly sure the new charger will just be their release of the above, but haven't really looked into it or compared a significant charge on the stock vs my 2.1 chargers to see if it varies honestly.

I'll drain my phone down to 50% and charge it to full and see the time with stock, and then same w/ the 2.1A charger and see how it varies.
    Stock charger is 1.0 A, not 1.5 A.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin_NYC View Post
    Stock charger is 1.0 A, not 1.5 A.

Check again, it's 5V and 1.5A
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,898 Global Posts

Check again, it's 5V and 1.5A
    OK. Not with it now. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin_NYC View Post
    Yeah I don't get it. Obviously it's going to slower on the USB only charger. Not sure why people are always surprised by that.

I think it's because of the universal nature of USB. With the exception of 3.0, all USB ports are the same, regardless of power output. Going with the above pump example, it's likely the faster pump has a larger nozzle and that serves as a visual cue about their flow rates. You don't have that with USB. Most people probably think all USB ports (be it the one in your computer, wall charger, OEM, or aftermarket) are the same. As long as it plugs in, it should charge as fast as needed. You even see this kind of "why is my phone charging slow" question when someone is using a weak wall charger from an older phone. They don't understand that even different wall chargers have different ratings.
    Will6371 and kct1975 like this.

Recently my phone has been charging really slowly. Really. Slowly. Like last night it was plugged in to the mains using the supplied HTC charger and it only got to 88% - over 7 hours of charging.

I'm using a new usb cable though, cos the old one started fraying. It wasn't particularly cheap; I got it for about $10 in my local electronics shop and the blurb on the packaging was about how great/fast it was for data transfer etc.

Could the cable be slowing the charge? Otherwise I'll have to take the phone back to HTC.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,898 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by njstone9 View Post
    Recently my phone has been charging really slowly. Really. Slowly. Like last night it was plugged in to the mains using the supplied HTC charger and it only got to 88% - over 7 hours of charging.

I'm using a new usb cable though, cos the old one started fraying. It wasn't particularly cheap; I got it for about $10 in my local electronics shop and the blurb on the packaging was about how great/fast it was for data transfer etc.

Could the cable be slowing the charge? Otherwise I'll have to take the phone back to HTC.
    Um...try another cable?

Replace the cable.. My phone charges from 14% to 100% in less than 3 hours.

Sent from my HTC One (M8).