Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HTC One (M8) T-Mobile WiFi stuck trying to reconnect

I recently bought an M8 from a T-Mobile store, and have been experiencing the following problem from day one. When the phone first starts up, it allows you to connect to WiFi just fine, and you can have WiFi, BlueTooth, and Mobile Data enabled simultaneously. As soon as the phone first goes to sleep (WiFi still within range,) it disconnects from WiFi and gets stuck in an infinite loop of connection attempts.

The only way I've been able to reconnect to WiFi successfully is to either restart the phone, or turn Airplane Mode on, having Mobile Data disabled. Effectively, I have a phone that cannot automatically switch between Mobile Data and WiFi. It requires intervention by enabling Airplane Mode to use WiFi, and when I want to go back on Mobile Data, I have to manually re-enable it (and disable WiFi + Airplane Mode, otherwise it will get stuck attempting to reconnect).

If I disable airplane mode, the WiFi stays connected until the next time the phone goes to sleep, after which WiFi gets stuck again in the infinite reconnect cycle. During this, Mobile Data is also disabled.

I've attempted using WiFi Fixer to no avail. The logs for WiFi Fixer also don't show anything I'd consider useful.
    I've called HTC and described my situation, which they say nobody has reported.
    I've also tried getting a new phone from the store, and using three completely different WiFi routers (one without security). None connect, on either phone.
    I've also tried booting to safe mode to ensure that none of my applications are causing the problem. Same issue in safe mode.
    I've also tried manually killing every process (using advanced task killer) I could find running, including stopping T-Mobile's account manager, to make sure nothing was causing this in normal mode.

I'm getting pretty close to switching to the S5... Any ideas?

Default Re: HTC One (M8) T-Mobile WiFi stuck trying to reconnect

I have the T-Mobile M8 as well and connect to WiFi pretty frequently using the WiFi calling and texting features. I don't have any issues switching between LTE and WiFi, so maybe it's your phone or router ?

Posted via Android Central App
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I think I've ruled that out by using two different phones (returned one) and three different routers, each. Problem is I feel like I've also ruled out installed software since it happpens in safe mode, too. Very confused as to what I could be missing in testing everything.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

It is happening now even with Airplane Mode turned on, so it seems like it is unrelated to LTE.

Global Posts
    1,594 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM 4.5 Pro

Did you try a factory reset? If that doesn't help, I'd return or exchange the phone. Something is just not right.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk
    Yesterday is but a dream, Tomorrow is but a vision, but Today well lived makes every Yesterday a dream of happiness and every Tomorrow a vision of hope.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I happened across some advice that said to try fixing an issue similar to this by forgetting ALL remembered wifi connections in your list, and it didn't work at first. Then I tried rebooting, and I haven't experienced the problem since. I think it might be fixed now. If it starts happening again, I'll be sure to comment.