Updates frequency & some other questions

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I have my One since Tuesday and it's my first Android device ever, so I have a question about future updates. What should I be expecting? How long does it normally take for HTC to bring the latest Android releases to its devices?
Of course we cannot predict the future, so let's take the M7 as an example. Does it run the latest Android version? How many updates did it have so far and how fast were they introduced to the public after Google released the OS updates?

Is there anything we can do so that we don't rely to HTC for future updates? Rooting? What are the dangers of doing that?

I am used from my iPhone to get updates the day they are released, and of course I know that in the Android world this is different, I am just expecting that the flagship devices will be regularly updated. Is it a wrong expectation?

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
The m7 is running the current version of kit Kat and it was one of the first to get it through to the carriers. The m7 is also getting sense 6 in May so that shows you right there.

With the m8, we are promised 2 years of software updates. HTC has been on the ball with their updates lately and I don't expect them to lose their momentum just yet

Posted via Android Central App

digitard

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
To get a custom ROM that can be put together using other sources (in mention to your not relying on HTC) you don't just need to root your phone. You need to unlock the bootloader, and that can void your warranty if HTC decides it does. HTCDEV allows you to do it, and they provide the info on how to do it... but its at your own risk.

If you do unlock it there's a variety of markers that will tell HTC you've unlocked it (bootloader status, tampered status, etc) but there's also a variety of ways to disable those checks.

Long story short. You can get around it by using a custom recovery with unlocked bootloader to put custom ROM's on that have different baked in software, or maybe built from other Android sources with newer versions (not right now as 4.4.2 is the latest) but it's VERY much at your own risk.

I'm running ARHD5.0 as my ROM (stock M8 debloated, tweaked, and so forth) but this isn't my first rodeo with tweaking my phone and knew what I was getting into.

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I use to unlock, root, custom rom frequently and with great success, but I don't feel I really need to do all that with the M8. It functions really well without all the special customizations. Maybe I just got tired of doing it.

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
To get a custom ROM that can be put together using other sources (in mention to your not relying on HTC) you don't just need to root your phone. You need to unlock the bootloader, and that can void your warranty if HTC decides it does. HTCDEV allows you to do it, and they provide the info on how to do it... but its at your own risk.

If you do unlock it there's a variety of markers that will tell HTC you've unlocked it (bootloader status, tampered status, etc) but there's also a variety of ways to disable those checks.

Long story short. You can get around it by using a custom recovery with unlocked bootloader to put custom ROM's on that have different baked in software, or maybe built from other Android sources with newer versions (not right now as 4.4.2 is the latest) but it's VERY much at your own risk.

I'm running ARHD5.0 as my ROM (stock M8 debloated, tweaked, and so forth) but this isn't my first rodeo with tweaking my phone and knew what I was getting into.

Thanks for your answer. I think it's too early for me to start putting custom ROMs. I will first explore the phone as it is now, and if I feel the need to put something custom, I will do that.
I am used to doing that many years ago when I had Windows Mobile devices.

digitard

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
It's actually a somewhat similar process in terms of updating your ROMs. I used to do that ALL the time with my HTC 6800 and a few other WINMO phones I had back then, too.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muejnkfabet