I love HTC , but still have not bought One (M8) ...because of the camera

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Re: I love htc, but still have not bought m8...because of the camera

i am definitely not looking for DSLR quality images, but I am looking for the best value in terms of picture result...for price tag

What about the s4 zoom? Basically a camera with a phone built in

Posted via Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

i am definitely not looking for DSLR quality images, but I am looking for the best value in terms of picture result...for price tag

Best value is the Nexus 5. Not the best camera, but the phone is almost half the price as the others...

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

o2k

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site

regarding "What matters in the end of the day is the picture quality, detail, color, and contrast when the pictures are viewed on pc."

the sensor of the phone camera does not connect to your PC. How does it know how dull/vibrant colors will show up on your PC screen? As a matter of fact, the pics may have to get overly saturate as to the extent of very fake on a phone screen to show vibrant colors on a not so good PC screen (have you consider it's you PC screen that's the problem). No good phone camera is going to do that for you.

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site

Is the camera the bottom line deciding factor in you phone selection? Sounds like it. There's a lot of other criteria in phone selection. And have you physically used the phones under consideration?

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

Mr.Willie

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site

Like I said, I can careless about pixel count. What matters to me is the picture quality. I already have a real camera, the point of paying the money for a high end phone is so i dont have to carry around my big camera.

You can't tell me that I dont need a better camera for a cell phone when camera is one of the main features people look for when deciding which phone to buy nowadays.

what is your main reason for returning the s5? what are you not happy about it?
I really dont want to buy the S5 because how cheap it looks and how much crap ware it has. But camera is my main thing

Buy a Nokia or an iPhone if the camera is your main reason for a pocket computer/communications device.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

My advice, buy one of last year's flagship phones. They are either free with an upgrade or very cheap. Then use the extra money you saved and buy a dedicated camera

anon(677651)

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site

Best value is the Nexus 5. Not the best camera, but the phone is almost half the price as the others...

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

i actually bought n5, but returned it because i am not getting big enough upgrade over picture quality from s3
(maybe after the software update it is better now... but now I just prefer the m8 for everythign else)

anon(677651)

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site

regarding "What matters in the end of the day is the picture quality, detail, color, and contrast when the pictures are viewed on pc."

the sensor of the phone camera does not connect to your PC. How does it know how dull/vibrant colors will show up on your PC screen? As a matter of fact, the pics may have to get overly saturate as to the extent of very fake on a phone screen to show vibrant colors on a not so good PC screen (have you consider it's you PC screen that's the problem). No good phone camera is going to do that for you.

what i meant is... most if not all pictures look great on small screen with high pixel density.
When you look at them on pc is when you really see what they look like

anon(677651)

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site

Is the camera the bottom line deciding factor in you phone selection? Sounds like it. There's a lot of other criteria in phone selection. And have you physically used the phones under consideration?

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

Primarily yes, camera is holding me back from purchasing m8
but I do consider everything else as well. And I am very pleased with m8 just about everything else.

For me i'd say the most important thing is:
1. camera
2. speed
3. battery
4. form factor / design

_Zguy__

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

I could care less about MP or UP but the HTC camera is just not good enough for me. In the in depth camera comparisons the one performs so poorly in bright light outdoor shots that I take a lot of (200 a day sometimes). It blows out the bright spots every time.

I also don't understand ufocus, HTC fans who hate Samsung for gimmicks love it when it is the biggest gimmick of all and offers very little as shown by the blur comparison shots.

anon(677651)

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site

I could care less about MP or UP but the HTC camera is just not good enough for me. In the in depth camera comparisons the one performs so poorly in bright light outdoor shots that I take a lot of (200 a day sometimes). It blows out the bright spots every time.

I also don't understand ufocus, HTC fans who hate Samsung for gimmicks love it when it is the biggest gimmick of all and offers very little as shown by the blur comparison shots.

I am HTC fan myself, but i hate to say... yah Ufocus is such a gimmic. How is it so out performed by pure software selective focus?

If htc just make a m8 with S5 camera... it'd sell like freaking hot cakes

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

I am HTC fan myself, but i hate to say... yah Ufocus is such a gimmic. How is it so out performed by pure software selective focus?

If htc just make a m8 with S5 camera... it'd sell like freaking hot cakes

Ufocus is better implemented than any other phone. The Google camera app has this feature, but you have to take a picture and then move the camera up slowly, basically taking two shots so it can capture depth. The s5 has this feature, but you have to enter the mode beforehand so it's definitely not as easy as HTC's.

HTC's method of adding this effect is a lot easier, quicker, and can be applied to a lot of different pictures AFTER you take them. It isn't perfect, but then again none of the other ones are as well. All in all I think the m8 does it better than the rest.

That said, it's definitely not something everyone will like or even use. If that's the case though, then none of the other focus effect on other phones will be used by those people either.

_Zguy__

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

Ufocus is better implemented than any other phone. The Google camera app has this feature, but you have to take a picture and then move the camera up slowly, basically taking two shots so it can capture depth. The s5 has this feature, but you have to enter the mode beforehand so it's definitely not as easy as HTC's.

HTC's method of adding this effect is a lot easier, quicker, and can be applied to a lot of different pictures AFTER you take them. It isn't perfect, but then again none of the other ones are as well. All in all I think the m8 does it better than the rest.

That said, it's definitely not something everyone will like or even use. If that's the case though, then none of the other focus effect on other phones will be used by those people either.

Well as the other phones are totally software based and can be constantly updated so how long before they catch up OR blurred focus is the moments cool trick and won't matter in 2 months.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

Well as the other phones are totally software based and can be constantly updated so how long before they catch up OR blurred focus is the moments cool trick and won't matter in 2 months.

They won't be able to catch up with updates. If anything, the m8 will get better with updates (which will be coming). The reason is HTC's method uses hardware (2nd camera lens), while the others are software.

I agree though, I don't think it will catch on. Just like a lot of features that these phones have, air view, 3d screens, heartbeat sensors, fingerprint scanners, etc.

anon(677651)

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site

Yeah I loved the Ufocus feature when I tried it in the store. Really like how easy it is use.

It's just that I am not sure if that was a good investment by htc... they spend all the time and money to put in this function in their latest flagship, but its result for the image produced is not any better than what google camera can do.

Honestly I would rather have better quality image quality on "regular" full auto shots, than having quick and easy to re-focus function.
If I want to de-focus the background...on my photos... I'd just use google camera.

streetdegree

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site

Loving the m8,I as well am a camera citric. Jumping from the s3 - I'm very pleased with the camera. I was a little concerned with it being gimmicky (dual lens is a bit weird) but I found myself showing a couple of buddies(iphone users) how cool the pics are.. really like the 3d effect

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

anon(677651)

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site

Loving the m8,I as well am a camera citric. Jumping from the s3 - I'm very pleased with the camera. I was a little concerned with it being gimmicky (dual lens is a bit weird) but I found myself showing a couple of buddies(iphone users) how cool the pics are.. really like the 3d effect

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

cool man. do you mind posting some pictures comparing s3 vs m8? i really wanna see how big the upgrade is.

ahdez

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site

I wanted a good camera at first also before I bought the M8..but then I figured.. I have a DSLR for pics so why should i care so much?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon