Text messages read over car Bluetooth?

chodenode

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
So I switched back to Android from Windows Phone (yeah, I know, big mistake trying that out) and have been enjoying the Android scene again. I like the M8 tons. The one feature I loved on my Windows Phone though was that text messages automatically spoofed a call over my bluetooth, read my messages, and let me reply if I elected to do so. I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out how to do this on the M8.

I found an app called Enhanced SMS & Caller ID which looked like it should work. The developer was excellent in working with me, but he said Kit Kat took something out of their Bluetooth API and required him to use a custom-coded solution. But I can only get his app to spoof the call if I happen to play media over bluetooth first (which is weird because they're on different streams, according to him). So I don't know if his app will ever work for my needs since I often listen to the radio rather than music from my phone.

Is there another app I can try to accomplish this?

cpaight

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I believe it would involve pairing it with the car Bluetooth system, no? After I paired mine (I have a Nexus 4 and a Dodge, so could be a TOTALLY different process) any texts that come thru (I use Hangouts) automatically interrupts the radio, tells me I have a text and gives me the option to read it aloud. Maybe check the car setup process instead of an app.

chodenode

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
It's already paired with the car. I have no issues making or receiving calls over bluetooth. My phone just won't engage Bluetooth for SMS. I haven't tried Hangouts though.

chodenode

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
How do I automatically have my phone go into car mode then? I don't use a dock in my car and I can't find a setting, let alone an app, for car mode.

stringbeanie

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Apparently there is some kind of smart cable that comes with the HTC car dock that allows the car mode to come on. I'd love to have the cable without having to buy the car dock. Does anyone know where to get such a cable or if it's even sold separately?

doc31

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I could be wrong i have tried it currently but open the car mode app and go to setting and make sure connect to bluetooth is checked also have the first box checked too. After that anytime you connect to your car BT car mode should open. I didn't use car mode and was wondering why it would auto open. Hope that helps. If not you can always program an NFC tag.

snowfree52

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I had a chat with HTC support about reading SMS in my car and they told me it isn't available for the M8 yet.

They are reporting it but no date yet. I recommand everybody reports it to them to move things.

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I believe it would involve pairing it with the car Bluetooth system, no? After I paired mine (I have a Nexus 4 and a Dodge, so could be a TOTALLY different process) any texts that come thru (I use Hangouts) automatically interrupts the radio, tells me I have a text and gives me the option to read it aloud. Maybe check the car setup process instead of an app.

I have a M8 and a Toyota Corolla LE (2014) and it works the same way. It will also display the message when the car is at a stop, and it has built-in quick reply options such as "I'm driving now - I will call you later."

Dunno what the issue could be. It works fine without needing to set anything up on my car.

johnmcc0710

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I have a Honda 2013 Accord and it pairs and reads texts and works well for incoming but I would like to find an easy way to text using voice while I drive. Any suggestions?

windkist

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
I also have a 2013 Honda Accord. The first day I got the phone I was able to receive text messages and email via bluetooth on my car. Hasn't worked since! Can't figure out what setting may have changed. I've re-paired to see if that would help but it doesn't:(

johnmcc0710

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I did wipe the phone after a bit too to fix an issue with the lights. You may want to try that. Also check the settings in the car on the phone in case you missed anything. Just a thought.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

sjcdal

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I have an HTC car dock that does have the cable that invokes car mode. But before that I used app called AUTOMATEIT pro. There you can set triggers to perform all sorts of tweaks...for car mode you can use the trigger "When connected to ----- bluetooth" so it will activate the trigger when you connect only to specific named bluetooth device. I still use AutomateIT to do all sorts of other things when connected.
Turn up Volume to max
Turn screen to max brightness
Wifi Disabled
Enable A separate rule that automatically responds to incoming texts with a text that reads "driving now, will respond later, or give me a call on mobile".
Start application CARHOME ULTRA (what I prefer to standard car mode on the M8).

Similar set of rules for when it disconnect from the car bluetooth. I even have it send me a text message of last GPS location of the car so I know where I parked when disconnect occurs.

dyphx

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
When I'm on-call for work I use an app called "Voice Notify." It simply reads aloud your phone notifications, which is nice because it works with texts, email, facebook, etc. You can select which apps it will read notifications from, and also set a quite time at night so it doesn't speak any of them. I use it with my bluetooth headset. https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=com.pilot51.voicenotify&token=x3aXUxEC

E Kawas

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
This feature does work in my app Enhanced SMS & Caller ID again. As long as the device is paired with the in-car bluetooth, this should work. If you contact me, I can send a test app over that you can use to verify.

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I had a similar issue trying to download text messages to my car radio via Bluetooth. After further research, I read that if the message thread contains emoji characters or pictures, then some audio systems in the vehicles would not download the incoming text message. So what I did is delete all my text messages and start from scratch. Then, if I get a text message, it will download and display in my car radio. (but once you get picture messages or special characters, it would not work)... So I guess it could be the car radio or some other factor...??....

gregnkw

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
Hey,

Having the very same issue on my 2013, worked one day but not since. Did you get it resolved, if so, can you let me know? Many thanks.

gregnkw

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
Having the very same issue on my 2013, worked one day but not since. Did you get it resolved, if so, can you let me know? Many thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith