SD Card "issues" WHERE IS ALL OF MY MUSIC & PHOTOS?!!

robbski300

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Let me preface this by saying that I consider myself VERY tech savvy when it comes to Android, but this M8 has got me baffled. I've had my M8 for about 10 days now, and I'm finally getting some time to move favorite photos/music to it from my Moto Razr Maxx. I installed a 64BG microSD card. I'm sorry, but the HTC Sync Manager is a complete JOKE! I'm slowly picking up how it's supposed to work, but what a pain. I know I've got about 20 music albums, and 8 photo albums on the phone via HTC Sync Manager. The problem I'm having is LOCATING these files via a file manager! At the root directory ( / ), it's showing an 'sdcard' and 'sdcard2' folder. I've looked everywhere in these folders for my photos and tunes (data, DCIM, Music and Pictures folders, etc.). No dice for either. I am able to find the 10 photos I've taken so far, but not the photo or music albums. This is frustrating! Any help/suggestions is greatly appreciated! -SKI

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm almost positive sdcard2 is the external sd card, at least from my experiences it is

Posted via Android Central App

robbski300

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm almost positive sdcard2 is the external sd card, at least from my experiences it is

That makes sense, but where in the world are my 20 albums that I put on the phone?! I did a search on 'Staind' (I've got three Staind albums on the phone) and it didn't find ANYTHING. Another bizarre thing is when I delete new photos that I don't want from QuickPic (the photo gallery I prefer to use), they still exist when going into the HTC stock gallery! It's almost like it's duplicating every photo I take because I've got another gallery app installed? Who knows. This phone is absolutely awesome, but man is it ever frustrating trying to learn what's goin on inside of it! :)

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
That makes sense, but where in the world are my 20 albums that I put on the phone?! I did a search on 'Staind' (I've got three Staind albums on the phone) and it didn't find ANYTHING. Another bizarre thing is when I delete new photos that I don't want from QuickPic (the photo gallery I prefer to use), they still exist when going into the HTC stock gallery! It's almost like it's duplicating every photo I take because I've got another gallery app installed? Who knows. This phone is absolutely awesome, but man is it ever frustrating trying to learn what's goin on inside of it! :)

I'm sure a lot of these issues are because of Kit Kat, the newest version of android. It restricts read/write permissions to prevent 3rd party apps from writing stuff on your storage. A lot of users are having issues as well, which isn't HTC's fault. All Kit Kat devices will be the same regarding this issue

robbski300

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Well that's awful interesting, to say the least! Things just don't make sense to me, right now. Do YOU use HTC Sync Manager? From everything I've read, people aren't too pleased with it. I don't want my whole music or photo library on my phone! I just want to be able to EASILY connect my phone to my iMac and move some files around. That just ain't happening with this M8. I suppose it's just gonna take some time, but I'm not pleased at this point in time. :)

Michael Klein5

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
You might try and use "Android File Transfer." Download it to your mac. After download, power off the mac. Then connect the M8 to one of the external ports on the Mac. Then restart the Mac. When it boots up, it should recognize the M8 and, from there, you can move files back and forth. Now I have only used it in the context of the phone's internal storage. With 32 gig available, I am not going to worry about an sd card right now. Just wanted you to know that although this program will work successfully, I have NOT used it to transfer to and from external storage -- just internal storage. And, like you, I couldn't make any sense out of HTC's own program.

robbski300

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
You might try and use "Android File Transfer." Download it to your mac. After download, power off the mac. Then connect the M8 to one of the external ports on the Mac. Then restart the Mac. When it boots up, it should recognize the M8 and, from there, you can move files back and forth. Now I have only used it in the context of the phone's internal storage. With 32 gig available, I am not going to worry about an sd card right now. Just wanted you to know that although this program will work successfully, I have NOT used it to transfer to and from external storage -- just internal storage. And, like you, I couldn't make any sense out of HTC's own program.

Thanks, Mike. I've read about that. Shutting down the Mac and rebooting. I don't wanna have to turn off my rig every time I want to move some files. I'm actually making SOME progress now, in terms of locating files. I've found my music. It's located on the phone obviously because I'm using the sync manager. It's located in

/storage/emulated/0/mobile/users/myname/pictures /htc_device_media
/storage/emulated/0/mobile/users/myname/music/htc_device_media

It's SLOWLY making sense. I think I'd rather store all of my photos and music on my 64GB microSD card, but this is a work in progress, and I'm learning what's going on. :)

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, Mike. I've read about that. Shutting down the Mac and rebooting. I don't wanna have to turn off my rig every time I want to move some files. I'm actually making SOME progress now, in terms of locating files. I've found my music. It's located on the phone obviously because I'm using the sync manager. It's located in

/storage/emulated/0/mobile/users/myname/pictures /htc_device_media
/storage/emulated/0/mobile/users/myname/music/htc_device_media

It's SLOWLY making sense. I think I'd rather store all of my photos and music on my 64GB microSD card, but this is a work in progress, and I'm learning what's going on. :)

Just to add what others have said - Android File Transfer will work if you're connected and then restart, it's a bit of a pain having to do that but AFT gives you a simple drag and drop experience much like the Finder window on a Mac. Similarly, Htc Sync manager allows for this too but as you've noticed it's not real user friendly. I've set mine (Htc Sync mgr) to not sync when connected and turned off all the sync functions in the settings, I just manually transfer files with it. What I typically do and what works best for me is I format, unmount and remove the sd card from the phone - insert it in a sd card adapter and put in my Mac. Then I do all the mass files transfers directly to the sd card on the Mac. I usually create three folders (music, pictures, movies) and put the appropriate files within those folders. Reinstall the card and done. Then when I need to move a few files later, I'll use Dropbox to transfer or connect via cable to the Mac. Doing the heavy work directly to the sd card rather than via cable is quite a bit easier and faster. Moving files within the phone from internal to external memory is a bit challenging now with the new restrictions imposed by KitKat and I'm slowly adapting. But this method of loading files, at least for me, has worked fine and all my apps have no problem finding and using the files.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith