Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Help! Todays verizon update (Version 1.55.605.2) broke my phone!

I have a stock unrooted M8. Today I tried to update and am now stuck on the verizon boot screen. I did the following to get where I am now:

• Plugged in the phone to charge (it was above 50% already)
    • Had it check for updates over wifi
    • It found one that was about 100mb and downloaded it.
    • During install the install icon switched to an error icon.
    • The phone eventually rebooted and got stuck on the version screen
    • I soft reset it and same problem
    • I managed to boot into the loader and picked recovery just to see what would happen. It showed the same error icon.

I've done nothing to this phone that an average user wouldn't do. I've done plenty to my old devices, but not this one.
    Is there any way to fix it without a factory reset? Would a factory reset be safe? Could I do anything with ADB? Should I bother contacting verizon or taking it it?
    Thanks for any help!

Global Posts
    1,608 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM 4.5 Pro

Default Re: Help! Todays verizon update (Version 1.55.605.2) broke my phone!

Personally I would do a factory reset and see if you can return it to a like new state. If that doesn't help I would take it to Verizon.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk
    Yesterday is but a dream, Tomorrow is but a vision, but Today well lived makes every Yesterday a dream of happiness and every Tomorrow a vision of hope.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Yeah, that makes the most sense. I guess I was just trying to save the time it will take to get it back to the way I had it. How does an OTA update fail like this?

Global Posts
    1,608 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM 4.5 Pro

I updated without any problems. If the factory reset works I recommend you update before you totally reload all your apps and data, that way if the update fails again you haven't wasted a lot of time.

Yesterday is but a dream, Tomorrow is but a vision, but Today well lived makes every Yesterday a dream of happiness and every Tomorrow a vision of hope.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Factory reset failed. I guess I'm stuck going to verizon.

Global Posts
    1,608 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM 4.5 Pro

Bummer, sorry to hear it. Maybe they will just exchange it.

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I got a new replacement today and updated in the store just to make sure. All's good.