Is the M8 still worthwhile with a case?

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
It's still worth getting if you like the device's feature (mainly the speakers). With some cases, the phone will be quite large, so that could be a turn off for some.

While the specs of many devices are the same or similar, that doesn't necessarily mean they all perform the same. They're all running their own UI's, and while the S5 isn't slow, it may not feel as responsive some other phones (just one example).

If you're looking more for bang-for-you-buck, then I would also consider the G2, but then one could say that it's "slower" or "outdated" or whatever. You can't really look at specs anymore - you have to look at some real user impressions and phone features and determine what you personally want out of it.

In the case of the M8, with a case you still get their camera with good lowlight photos, 5MP front camera, and front speakers. So if you wanted those features, then go for it. Those features are more-or-less specific to the M8.

roflwaffleton

May 19, 2012
Visit site
How do you plan to keep dust/lint/food crumbs etc out of all of those tiny holes? To me that case will look like crap after a few month of real world use...meaning many of the holes will get packed with stuff from being in your pocket or laying around etc.

The "holes" do not go all the way through (only where the speakers are located). There's an embedded semi-transparent film that runs throughout the front cover that lets the light through and also helps give it some rigidity. It doesn't take much to keep it clean.

Of course, if you live like a pig, the case/phone will reflect that.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
The "holes" do not go all the way through (only where the speakers are located). There's an embedded semi-transparent film that runs throughout the front cover that lets the light through and also helps give it some rigidity. It doesn't take much to keep it clean.

Of course, if you live like a pig, the case/phone will reflect that.

That transparent film is actually a capacitive layer, so it recognizes touch input.

Posted via Android Central App

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
The gestures look very useful. If you were buying a phone purely off the build quality, imo, your going about it the wrong way

Focus on the software features it offers. While it doesn't offer much in terms of better software, in comparison to their competitors, you still have some solid features to work with, and if you need the sound features, it's there

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
It's still worth getting if you like the device's feature (mainly the speakers). With some cases, the phone will be quite large, so that could be a turn off for some.

While the specs of many devices are the same or similar, that doesn't necessarily mean they all perform the same. They're all running their own UI's, and while the S5 isn't slow, it may not feel as responsive some other phones (just one example).

If you're looking more for bang-for-you-buck, then I would also consider the G2, but then one could say that it's "slower" or "outdated" or whatever. You can't really look at specs anymore - you have to look at some real user impressions and phone features and determine what you personally want out of it.

In the case of the M8, with a case you still get their camera with good lowlight photos, 5MP front camera, and front speakers. So if you wanted those features, then go for it. Those features are more-or-less specific to the M8.

I still think specs are very important, and so is the year the device came out in because the later it was released, the more likely you are to get future updates, however I pretty much agree with everything you stated.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I still think specs are very important, and so is the year the device came out in because the later it was released, the more likely you are to get future updates, however I pretty much agree with everything you stated.

Well, yeah specs are important to a degree. I'm just kind of saying you can't say, "the G2 is outdated because it's using a Snapdragon 800".

There are benefits to the upgrades made (like battery life from 800 to 801) and of course more RAM can be utilized by some users, but just trying to say: Don't rely on specs for your decision =)

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
The gestures look very useful. If you were buying a phone purely off the build quality, imo, your going about it the wrong way

Focus on the software features it offers. While it doesn't offer much in terms of better software, in comparison to their competitors, you still have some solid features to work with, and if you need the sound features, it's there

While I agree with you, that's like saying buying a car based purely off looks is the wrong way to go about it. Some people do just that, buy phones or cars or clothes based purely on aesthetics.

Wasn't arguing, just saying some people don't care about certain things.

Continue discussion.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
While I agree with you, that's like saying buying a car based purely off looks is the wrong way to go about it. Some people do just that, buy phones or cars or clothes based purely on aesthetics.

Wasn't arguing, just saying some people don't care about certain things.

Continue discussion.

I wasn't arguing, sorry if it came out that way

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Well, yeah specs are important to a degree. I'm just kind of saying you can't say, "the G2 is outdated because it's using a Snapdragon 800".

There are benefits to the upgrades made (like battery life from 800 to 801) and of course more RAM can be utilized by some users, but just trying to say: Don't rely on specs for your decision =)

Would you consider the snapdragon 600 outdated? Most people would but it's still a very capable processor that would suit many people's needs just fine.

I agree, you don't necessarily need to base the decision solely on specs. Motorola taught us that with the Moto X

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Would you consider the snapdragon 600 outdated? Most people would but it's still a very capable processor that would suit many people's needs just fine.

I agree, you don't necessarily need to base the decision solely on specs. Motorola taught us that with the Moto X

Wasn't the screen only 720p? I think that's a fairly important spec

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

Yes it has a 720p screen. I was referring more to the processor, which is a snapdragon s4 pro (dual core). Hardly cutting edge at the time but it still managed to be as fast/fluid, or faster, than competing smartphones.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes it has a 720p screen. I was referring more to the processor, which is a snapdragon s4 pro (dual core). Hardly cutting edge at the time but it still managed to be as fast/fluid, or faster, than competing smartphones.

Yea I don't find processors to be too important, my gs3 still runs pretty fine even though it's dual core, while my quad core nexus 7 has been slow since I got it because of the ram.

I think screen and ram matter more than processors these days

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

Hm... yes, all of Moto's 2013 stuff was 720P, which I thought would be a problem, as I was waiting for the new Maxx. But then I took my DNA in and compared it to the Maxx, and personally, it wasn't a dealbreaker considering the other stuff I was getting out of the phone.

But I have really bad vision so I can't really tell the difference between 720P and 1080P on my phone. Even still, I would probably avoid a flagship-priced phone at 720P unless there are some seriously compelling features. I just feel like if everyone else can offer 1080P at $XXX, then getting a 720P screen at the same price is a little cheap.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Hm... yes, all of Moto's 2013 stuff was 720P, which I thought would be a problem, as I was waiting for the new Maxx. But then I took my DNA in and compared it to the Maxx, and personally, it wasn't a dealbreaker considering the other stuff I was getting out of the phone.

But I have really bad vision so I can't really tell the difference between 720P and 1080P on my phone. Even still, I would probably avoid a flagship-priced phone at 720P unless there are some seriously compelling features. I just feel like if everyone else can offer 1080P at $XXX, then getting a 720P screen at the same price is a little cheap.

Agreed

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Agreed

Which was basically my point with the Moto X. It came with an older dual core processor but it still managed to be as fast as the quad core competitors. If I could spend the same amount and get a quad core from Samsung our HTC, why wouldn't Motorola offer it too?

Would any of you even consider the s5 or m8 (or any other competing smartphone this year) if it came with a snapdragon 600? Imo processors are just as important as anything else on the phone. Coming from the m7, the 801 is leaps and bounds better in every single way.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Which was basically my point with the Moto X. It came with an older dual core processor but it still managed to be as fast as the quad core competitors. If I could spend the same amount and get a quad core from Samsung our HTC, why wouldn't Motorola offer it too?

Would any of you even consider the s5 or m8 (or any other competing smartphone this year) if it came with a snapdragon 600? Imo processors are just as important as anything else on the phone. Coming from the m7, the 801 is leaps and bounds better in every single way.

To me, if I don't consider either because they don't have more ram than my current device, or offer any "killer" features.

This is my list in rank of importance

1. Ram
2. Screen
3. Software
4. Design
5. Processor
6 . Accessories