Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HTC M8: Are your metal speaker covers wavy/bent?

I noticed when looking at my phone at an angle... that the metal speaker covers at both ends, are wavy, and not straight like the glass.

Are yours like this?...Is this normal

Default Re: HTC M8: Are your metal speaker covers wavy/bent?

Does it feel wavy? Mine are straight. This phone looks damn good.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cmilviper View Post
    I noticed when looking at my phone at an angle... that the metal speaker covers at both ends, are wavy, and not straight like the glass.

Don't have the M8 yet but could you post a picture so when I get mine I will know what to look for.

Mine are not like that, mine are perfectly flat

Posted via Android Central App
    Quote Originally Posted by Ccota08 View Post
    I keep reading your posts in Bender's voice and it's amazing.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I can barely feel it in one area.....When looking at it normally, it looks perfect.

From an angle, especially in a well lit room, with the light reflecting off of the metal at an angle.....it's very easy for me to see the wavy metal.

I'll try to upload a pic...thanks guys.

Global Posts
    1,608 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM 4.5 Pro

Mine are flat

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk
    Yesterday is but a dream, Tomorrow is but a vision, but Today well lived makes every Yesterday a dream of happiness and every Tomorrow a vision of hope.

Mine is like that on the top right hand side of the screen, right by the camera. The plate is lifting slightly. I called HTC and they're sending me a new one...after some BS on the phone with customer service. I have always heard great things about their customer svc so I was pretty shocked. Could've just been lucky with the reps I spoke with.

I have the same issue in the upper right hand corner, to the right of the camera. It came like that out if the box.

Sent from my 831C using AC Forums mobile app

On my first unit, the bottom was like that. The second one though, is flat. I had some dust under the screen as well, which is why I swapped

Banned

Global Posts
    4,377 Global Posts

I believe the speaker grills are plastic. They don't get cold like the rest of the phone.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    9,113 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

That's interesting. Considering another user has also seen this perhaps it's just a production thing? At first I thought it could have been due to hitting another object, such as being in the front pant pocket and coming into contact with a corner or other object (just a thought).

nope mine are just perfect

I've noticed on the bottom speaker grill on mine a little waviness... however, I have to move it back and forth in the light to "see" it and I think it may just be an optical illusion. When I run my finger over it, it feels flat.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by RickB68 View Post
    I've noticed on the bottom speaker grill on mine a little waviness... however, I have to move it back and forth in the light to "see" it and I think it may just be an optical illusion. When I run my finger over it, it feels flat.
    Yeah, that is how my bottom one is...Wavy in the right light when viewing at an angle....I can also feel mine a little with the finger going over it.

Since they are plastic, and since this is the only issue I have with the phone, I am ok.

I did see a M8 Tear-down video on Youtube. They removed the plastic speaker covers pretty easily. I figure when parts become widely available in the near future, that if it bothers me enough, I can replace them myself with replacement parts.

Yeah, that is how my bottom one is...Wavy in the right light when viewing at an angle....I can also feel mine a little with the finger going over it.

Since they are plastic, and since this is the only issue I have with the phone, I am ok.

I did see a M8 Tear-down video on Youtube. They removed the plastic speaker covers pretty easily. I figure when parts become widely available in the near future, that if it bothers me enough, I can replace them myself with replacement parts.
    I went ahead and looked at the bottom grill with a magnifying glass and a flashlight. Felt kind of silly, but it looks flat. No bend or curve in the plastic.
    Thanked by:
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

I went ahead and looked at the bottom grill with a magnifying glass and a flashlight. Felt kind of silly, but it looks flat. No bend or curve in the plastic.
    Haha...I think we may be insane!

Haha...I think we may be insane!
    IMO, it's just an optical illusion.

IMO, it's just an optical illusion.
    I agree, mine is like that but only when in the right light, feels completely flat and flush with the screen though. Went to an AT&T store and both display models looked the exact same in the right light, but also felt flat.

Mine wasn't an optical illusion. If you ran your finger over it, you could feel a little bit of wave to it.

20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Quote Originally Posted by TriBeard92 View Post
    Mine wasn't an optical illusion. If you ran your finger over it, you could feel a little bit of wave to it.

Yeah mine is definitely not an optical illusion, it is a littly rippled, especially at the bottom.

I just noticed this issue today. My top speaker grill looked like it was about to pop off. I pushed it back in, but a few minutes later I can see the right side popping back up. The whole top speaker grill appears to be concave, with the left and right sides slightly curving outwards as if they are about to come off. Going to call HTC after work and see if I can get a replacement. I've had the phone less than 1 month.

EDIT: HTC will not swap phone. They said send it in for repair and it will take 7-10 business days. There may be charges of up to $200 for the repair. Lol

My carrier supplied m8 had this issue on its bottom speaker grill, almost like a slight buckle in the middle, could be seen in the right light and felt if you ran your finger over it. Got it replaced and this one seems perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by ericmpena View Post
    I just noticed this issue today. My top speaker grill looked like it was about to pop off. I pushed it back in, but a few minutes later I can see the right side popping back up. The whole top speaker grill appears to be concave, with the left and right sides slightly curving outwards as if they are about to come off. Going to call HTC after work and see if I can get a replacement. I've had the phone less than 1 month.

EDIT: HTC will not swap phone. They said send it in for repair and it will take 7-10 business days. There may be charges of up to $200 for the repair. Lol
    Hi Guys,
    I've got this issue also, and I've had it for a while. I thought I could deal with it, but I really can't. I've put this off so long mainly because of the fact that I purchased this phone in the US but I live in New Zealand. I've talked to an HTC representative over online chat, and I've discussed warranty replacement options for an overseas person such as me, but I've come across this thread and realised that my phone may actually not even come under warranty. Has anyone had experiences in the use of the manufacturers warranty in the replacement of their phone? Specifically this case with the top speaker panel lifting off. Mines coming off just under under the front facing camera.
    Please let me know!
    Cheers,

the bottom right corner of the top cover is coming up a bit. Just a factory glue issue, I'm not concerned. I use a case and don't drop or abuse my phone, so I doubt it will become more severe. Can't even notice it unless you're looking for it.

How did it look in the store when you examined it before purchase?