5MP front v.s. 4UP rear camera

anon(677651)

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
It should be no doubt that ultra pixel is way better than mp. However! I read on some review site saying that saying:

"m8's 5MP front camera is better than the 4MP in the back"

I refuse to believe it.. but since then, I have been very curious about this! To bust this myth, I invite m8 owners to take same pictures using both cameras and post them here.

Any topic / condition is welcomed. (Although I am more interested in seeing out door conditions, portraits, and low light conditions)
Thanks! :)

Last edited:

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: m8: 5MP front v.s. 4UP back camera

It should be no doubt that ultra pixel is way better than mp. However! I read on some review site saying that saying:

"m8's 5MP front camera is better than the 4MP in the back"

I refuse to believe it.. but since then, I have been very curious about this! To bust this myth, I invite m8 owners to take same pictures using both cameras and post them here.

Any topic / condition is welcomed. (Although I am more interested in seeing out door conditions, portraits, and low light conditions)
Thanks! :)
Lol, I can't believe someone actually said that. Not entirely surprising though as these reviewers just refer to whatever figures they can find and draw a conclusion from that. The self-shooter isn't anywhere in the same league as the 4mp front and it doesn't take much of an eye to determine that. If I get time later, I'll post of a comparison for you so you can see for yourself. It won't be a fair comparison since the software has optimized the self-shooter for portraits and it's not meant for anything else. I'd call it the ultimate selfie cam, but if you stuck it on the back it would be a downgrade.

anon(677651)

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site

Thanks B0WIE! I can't wait to see this! :D
I know! it sounds ridiculous ... I mean m8's UP already has beaten may 8MP cameras, how can it be worse than a 5MP?

Prinny Mask

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

I don't really have anything super interesting in walking distance but here's one quick, the top is the rear camera and the bottom is the front.

IMAG0078.jpg
IMAG0079.jpg

The first thing is that it's really hard to try and take the same photo with the front facing camera lol. The second thing is that when I said quick, I meant really quick. Like I walked out, pressed shutter, and walked back in without even looking at the pictures. The third thing is that it is extremely bright outside. Blinding bright. Have to wear sunglasses bright. That's all the relevant information about what I did.

Anyway, I think the biggest difference between them is the color. The rear camera is much cooler. The front camera is warmer. Even though I think the rear is a little too cool considering how bright it was, it's more accurate and definitely less washed out. The other thing is that the rear camera actually has more detail. In fact, since they're both at 16:9, the photo from the rear camera is actually larger than the front by 128x80 pixels. You can make your own conclusions, but those were what I thought.

Like I said these were just super quick, and the rear camera just did "acceptable" to me in this instance, but it's pretty clear that there is a big difference between them in this use case. The front facing camera just wasn't designed for landscape shots. I can post more later, but I hope this is good enough to satisfy you for now. :)

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site

Top is front can bottom is rear.

5yjagy5a.jpg

7u4anuty.jpg

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

anon(677651)

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site

I don't really have anything super interesting in walking distance but here's one quick, the top is the rear camera and the bottom is the front.

View attachment 113627
View attachment 113628

The first thing is that it's really hard to try and take the same photo with the front facing camera lol. The second thing is that when I said quick, I meant really quick. Like I walked out, pressed shutter, and walked back in without even looking at the pictures. The third thing is that it is extremely bright outside. Blinding bright. Have to wear sunglasses bright. That's all the relevant information about what I did.

Anyway, I think the biggest difference between them is the color. The rear camera is much cooler. The front camera is warmer. Even though I think the rear is a little too cool considering how bright it was, it's more accurate and definitely less washed out. The other thing is that the rear camera actually has more detail. In fact, since they're both at 16:9, the photo from the rear camera is actually larger than the front by 128x80 pixels. You can make your own conclusions, but those were what I thought.

Like I said these were just super quick, and the rear camera just did "acceptable" to me in this instance, but it's pretty clear that there is a big difference between them in this use case. The front facing camera just wasn't designed for landscape shots. I can post more later, but I hope this is good enough to satisfy you for now. :)

oh yah! the rear camera is way better. It picks up way more details and images is way sharper.
However I do prefer the color and brightness of the front :) Thanks for posting!

Prinny Mask

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for posting! surprisingly these look exactly the same when not zoomed in.

Looking from my phone, what I see is that the wall in the top looks grey, while the bottom is mostly brown, but that's it.

Posted via Android Central App

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site

Got around to doing a quick comparison. As I've said, some phone reviewers are poor judges of photography. The supposedly "better" 5mp selfie cam is washed out with less contrast, far less detail (even though it has more megapixels) and the tones are skewed toward flesh tones compared to the duo camp's stellar white balance.
First photo; selfie cam.
IMAG0360_zpsa851cf25.jpg

2nd photo, duo cam;
IMAG0361_zpseb18a7df.jpg

Last edited:

anon(677651)

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site

Get around to doing a quick comparison. As I've said, some phone reviewers are poor judges of photography. The supposedly "better" 5mp selfie cam is washed out with less contrast, far less detail (even though it has more megapixels) and the tones are skewed toward flesh tones.
First photo; selfie cam.
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l241/slightlydazed7/IMAG0360_zpsa851cf25.jpg
2nd photo, duo cam;
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l241/slightlydazed7/IMAG0361_zpseb18a7df.jpg

the back camera definitely appears sharper and pick up more detail than the front here when looked closely! thanks for posting!

_Zguy__

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

I don't know if it is just on the mobile site but I don't think I could have picked which camera was which from these pictures

Kibbster

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site

View attachment 113627
View attachment 113628

I'm quite surprised at the difference and how much cooler the rear camera is.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site

I don't know if it is just on the mobile site but I don't think I could have picked which camera was which from these pictures

Surprised to hear that. They were all pretty glaring to me. When I posted mine, I didn't even have to open the photos, I could tell which was which by the tiny thumbnail icons. But, it goes to show that not everyone sees things the same way and not everyone judges art by the same criteria. And, that's perfectly ok.

Prinny Mask

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

I'm quite surprised at the difference and how much cooler the rear camera is.

Some of it might be compensation for being that bright outside, because when I look at other pictures I've taken, none of them appear that cool. But then again, I don't have have any other versions to compare to. And I didn't manually focus on anything, I let it do that itself, so I could improve it if I tried.

_Zguy__

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

Surprised to hear that. They were all pretty glaring to me. When I posted mine, I didn't even have to open the photos, I could tell which was which by the tiny thumbnail icons. But, it goes to show that not everyone sees things the same way and not everyone judges art by the same criteria. And, that's perfectly ok.

Well knowing the warm is front and cool is back its easy but before that they looked the same but that's probably due to the compression on the site

anon(677651)

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site

thanks guys. i think it's reasonably to say the myth is BUSTED!

Rear camera is definitely superior to the front camera.
Eventho the shots are brighter from the front cam... but rear cam just picks up sharper details

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

View attachment 113627
View attachment 113628

I actually think the front camera exposed the image a bit better. It's a bit high in exposure, but the rear camera is a bit underexposed. I'd have expected it to be opposite. The Colors from the FFC seem a bit more accurate, as well. The colors from the Read Camera are boosted significantly in comparison to the FFC.

The back camera clearly captures more detail despite being less dense, though, and there is less noise in the image. It almost assuredly has a superior sensor and lens compared to the FFC, so the issue goes well beyond MP between these two. Additionally, the difference in density is not that great between these two cameras, so it comes as no surprise that the back camera is better.

The fact that the front camera is as good as it is compared to the back camera is more the issue. The disparity is much greater on other devices.

Last edited:

Prinny Mask

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

I actually think the front camera exposed the image a bit better. It's a bit high in exposure, but the rear camera is a bit underexposed. I'd have expected it to be opposite. The Colors from the FFC seem a bit more accurate, as well. The colors from the Read Camera are boosted significantly in comparison to the FFC.

The back camera clearly captures more detail despite being less dense, though, and there is less noise in the image. It almost assuredly has a superior sensor and lens compared to the FFC, so the issue goes well beyond MP between these two. Additionally, the difference in density is not that great between these two cameras, so it comes as no surprise that the back camera is better.

The fact that the front camera is as good as it is compared to the back camera is more the issue. The disparity is much greater on other devices.

I assume the rear is underexposed, because the software is overcompensating from all the extra light brought in. The front is nowhere near more accurate though lol. The rear has some areas that are too dark like the bottom of the Pilot, but from actually being there I know that it's definitely more accurate. The driveway isn't that orange lol.

The bigger difference in other phones is because their front cameras pretty much suck. Let's have someone use their One's cameras, and then use a front facing camera shot from another phone. Do it!

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2