Don't drop it!

Kibbster

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
Handing my phone to a friend today for him to watch a video and the phone slipped straight through his fingers.
Two foot drop on to a patio... No more screen :-(

Things to learn from this...
Use a case... Mines due next week after being on pre-order since I bought the phone (oh the irony)
They are very slippery phones and although I am always very aware how drop-able the M8 is, I didn't think to warn my friend.
Lastly, they can break very easily if you are unlucky.

So now a brand new phone I have to pay to repair (not going to be cheap)

Annoyed doesn't even cover it :-[

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
My One and HTC lte have been the 2 most durable phones I've owned taking multiple drops. Unfortunately any random drop can land in just the right (or wrong) way and break your screen.

Sorry this has been your luck but like the others have said htc will replace it free of charge. I think you have a limit of twice but I'm not positive

EDIT: One time, I just read the link :)

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your M8. The take aways from this are - don't give your phone to anybody and if you do and they drop it make them pay for it....just kidding ;) Just checked the UK Htc Advantage site and it still says coming soon, but it's worth contacting them and see if they will fix it for free like they have promised.

Kibbster

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately there's no HTC advantage in the UK so that's not an option.
Bit unfair to charge my friend even though he offered to pay for repairs because it was an accident.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Kibbster

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
I'll still give HTC a ring to see what they say after the bank holiday.
I spoke to the network and they just said "Ohhh unlucky, that's going to be expensive" lol

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Blackthanos

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hear what happened Kibbster. With your case already being on order it must seem like fate was out to get you. I can see how you feel about your friend, but with them offering to fix it maybe you can compromise and share the expense with them. That's if the UK doesn't honor the HTC Advantage program I mean and if you feel the window on his offer hasn't already passed.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Sorry to hear it, Kibbster! I saw a very compelling drop test vid done with this phone and I don't think it cracked with multiple tries. However, as was said, all it takes is the right (or wrong) angle and...

Thanks for posting as I'm going without a case and this is a reminder to me to be extra cautious.

Kibbster

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
My brother in law (the devious git he is) has said to insure it with mobile insurance then claim in a couple of weeks hehe

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
Handing my phone to a friend today for him to watch a video and the phone slipped straight through his fingers.
Two foot drop on to a patio... No more screen :-(

Things to learn from this...
Use a case... Mines due next week after being on pre-order since I bought the phone (oh the irony)
They are very slippery phones and although I am always very aware how drop-able the M8 is, I didn't think to warn my friend.
Lastly, they can break very easily if you are unlucky.

So now a brand new phone I have to pay to repair (not going to be cheap)

Annoyed doesn't even cover it :-[

Heavy phones always break more often when they hit the pavement. That's just the way it works.

Posted via Android Central App

Prinny Mask

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your One. I've moved away from cases, but I still have insurance in case an unlucky happening like this were to happen. Of course, I'll drop my phone from four feet and only get minor scuffs though. The one time I actually did have to get a replacement phone was when my Thunderbolt got so old it finally croaked haha. Hopefully it doesn't cost too much, and you're able to get it back soon.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Bad luck indeed. Moral of the story: Don't let ANYONE touch you're phone! Lol

I feel for ya man, it truly sucks. I hope you can get HTC to do something. Good luck!

Posted via Android Central App

robbski300

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Damn! I feel your pain, man. : ( After my first day with this thing, I immediately went out and bought a cheap case from Best Buy just to get me through the next two days until my case arrived from Amazon, then returned the one to Best Buy. These things are wicked slippery! Such a bizarre policy from HTC. They'll fix the screen for one customer, but not another customer solely based on where they LIVE?! That's bad business in my book. Hope you get things taken care of soon, Kib. I know how helpless it feels without your phone. Ugh!

Kibbster

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
Doesn't help it's also a four day holiday in the UK at the mo but I'll get it sorted soon.
I replaced my Note2 mainly because I dropped it and cracked the screen (I dropped it that time)
Got to admit, the phone is a slippery bugger and I daren't use it one handed when walking about like I used to do with the Note even though the Note was more bulky, it wasn't slippery.

Still get the screen fixed then it lives in a case.
I like the look and feel of the metal but I prefer one with a uncracked screen ;)