Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Don't drop it!

Handing my phone to a friend today for him to watch a video and the phone slipped straight through his fingers.
    Two foot drop on to a patio... No more screen :-(

Things to learn from this...
    Use a case... Mines due next week after being on pre-order since I bought the phone (oh the irony)
    They are very slippery phones and although I am always very aware how drop-able the M8 is, I didn't think to warn my friend.
    Lastly, they can break very easily if you are unlucky.

So now a brand new phone I have to pay to repair (not going to be cheap)

Annoyed doesn't even cover it

Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    ROM
    chub-sac-Sense4.5/AnTHRaX

Default Re: Don't drop it!

Two words: HTC Advantage .
    Device 1: HTC One (M8)/831C | Hardware Version: 0005
    Baseband: 1.08.20.0916 | PRI: 2.62_003 | PRL: 53137 | Recovery: MultiROM TWRP 2.8.1

Device 2: HTC Jewel/PJ75100 (EVO 4G LTE) | Hardware Version: 0003
    Baseband: 1.13.11.1105 | PRI: 3.02_003 | PRL: 56018 | Recovery: TWRP 2.8.1.0

Device 3: HTC Shooter/PG86100 (EVO 3D) | Hardware Version: 0002
    Baseband: 1.09.00.0108 | PRI: 1.55_003 | PRL: 22100 | Recovery: TWRP 2.7.1.0

Device 4: HTC Supersonic/PC36100 (EVO 4G) | Hardware Version: 0004
    Baseband: 2.15.00.01.15 | PRI: 2.33_003 | PRL: 40460 | Recovery: TWRP 2.8.0.0
    ugxvibe, bembol, ffejjj and 1 others like this.

My TMobile rep told me that HTC will replace the screen free if you bust it within the first year. Also you need a case for this phone because its sooo heavy. This is an amazing case. click below..
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...ave-owned.html
    Samsung Epic
    HTC Evo
    RIM Storm II

My One and HTC lte have been the 2 most durable phones I've owned taking multiple drops. Unfortunately any random drop can land in just the right (or wrong) way and break your screen.

Sorry this has been your luck but like the others have said htc will replace it free of charge. I think you have a limit of twice but I'm not positive

EDIT: One time, I just read the link

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app
    Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    LG G3
    Ambassador

Sorry to hear about your M8. The take aways from this are - don't give your phone to anybody and if you do and they drop it make them pay for it....just kidding Just checked the UK Htc Advantage site and it still says coming soon, but it's worth contacting them and see if they will fix it for free like they have promised.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Unfortunately there's no HTC advantage in the UK so that's not an option.
    Bit unfair to charge my friend even though he offered to pay for repairs because it was an accident.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I'll still give HTC a ring to see what they say after the bank holiday.
    I spoke to the network and they just said "Ohhh unlucky, that's going to be expensive" lol

Oh dear, poo poo for you then.
    Samsung Epic
    HTC Evo
    RIM Storm II

Sorry to hear what happened Kibbster. With your case already being on order it must seem like fate was out to get you. I can see how you feel about your friend, but with them offering to fix it maybe you can compromise and share the expense with them. That's if the UK doesn't honor the HTC Advantage program I mean and if you feel the window on his offer hasn't already passed.

Sorry to hear it, Kibbster! I saw a very compelling drop test vid done with this phone and I don't think it cracked with multiple tries. However, as was said, all it takes is the right (or wrong) angle and...

Thanks for posting as I'm going without a case and this is a reminder to me to be extra cautious.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

My brother in law (the devious git he is) has said to insure it with mobile insurance then claim in a couple of weeks hehe

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

Lol don't post on a forum what your gonna do lol

Posted via Android Central App
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kibbster View Post
    Handing my phone to a friend today for him to watch a video and the phone slipped straight through his fingers.
    Two foot drop on to a patio... No more screen :-(

Things to learn from this...
    Use a case... Mines due next week after being on pre-order since I bought the phone (oh the irony)
    They are very slippery phones and although I am always very aware how drop-able the M8 is, I didn't think to warn my friend.
    Lastly, they can break very easily if you are unlucky.

So now a brand new phone I have to pay to repair (not going to be cheap)

Annoyed doesn't even cover it
    Heavy phones always break more often when they hit the pavement. That's just the way it works.

14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by jebbusbin View Post
    Lol don't post on a forum what your gonna do lol

That's just what was suggested.
    I would never do that

Split costs with friend. Sounds like he's trying to do the right thing.

Thanked by:

Sorry to hear about your One. I've moved away from cases, but I still have insurance in case an unlucky happening like this were to happen. Of course, I'll drop my phone from four feet and only get minor scuffs though. The one time I actually did have to get a replacement phone was when my Thunderbolt got so old it finally croaked haha. Hopefully it doesn't cost too much, and you're able to get it back soon.
    Mentor @ FRC# 3999

Global Posts
    1,608 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM 4.5 Pro

Kibbster, sorry to hear of your misfortune.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk
    Yesterday is but a dream, Tomorrow is but a vision, but Today well lived makes every Yesterday a dream of happiness and every Tomorrow a vision of hope.

Bad luck indeed. Moral of the story: Don't let ANYONE touch you're phone! Lol

I feel for ya man, it truly sucks. I hope you can get HTC to do something. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Ccota08 View Post
    I keep reading your posts in Bender's voice and it's amazing.

Damn! I feel your pain, man. : ( After my first day with this thing, I immediately went out and bought a cheap case from Best Buy just to get me through the next two days until my case arrived from Amazon, then returned the one to Best Buy. These things are wicked slippery! Such a bizarre policy from HTC. They'll fix the screen for one customer, but not another customer solely based on where they LIVE?! That's bad business in my book. Hope you get things taken care of soon, Kib. I know how helpless it feels without your phone. Ugh!
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Doesn't help it's also a four day holiday in the UK at the mo but I'll get it sorted soon.
    I replaced my Note2 mainly because I dropped it and cracked the screen (I dropped it that time)
    Got to admit, the phone is a slippery bugger and I daren't use it one handed when walking about like I used to do with the Note even though the Note was more bulky, it wasn't slippery.

Still get the screen fixed then it lives in a case.
    I like the look and feel of the metal but I prefer one with a uncracked screen

I can confirm that HTC will fix your phone for free even if you are in the UK....They are good like that......
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by BetterMost#AC View Post
    My TMobile rep told me that HTC will replace the screen free if you bust it within the first year. Also you need a case for this phone because its sooo heavy. This is an amazing case. click below..
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...ave-owned.html
    It's extremely unlikely this is true. Manufacturers won't fix anything for free unless it's a malfunction within the warranty period (2 years with HTC).

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I waited an entire week before I used my m8 until my case came in I left it in the box. I orderd a nice clear case for it.

Global Posts
    120 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wickdaman View Post
    It's extremely unlikely this is true. Manufacturers won't fix anything for free unless it's a malfunction within the warranty period (2 years with HTC).

It is true. One free screen replacement within the first 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by cdaq View Post
    It is true. One free screen replacement within the first 6 months.
    That's insanely nice of them, but wonder how they can afford to offer that service!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast