Is it worth rooting my M8?

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
A rooted device with super-user installed and set to deny all requests is exponentially more secure than a non-rooted device. For that reason alone I root all my devices.

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
My problem was the wrong RUU, but after that experience, I don't want to go through it again. I thought my One Max was completely gone. Ya, I know. Rule #1 of playing with Android is, "Don't Panic". After the initial, "Oh crap, Oh crap." I finally found the right RUU and using the adb manual method was able to get it installed and the phone back in operation. It was enough so that I never want to go through it again. No more messing with HTC products for me.

Also, if you search for VZW (or Verizon) RUU One Max, good luck trying to find it. Everything I ran across said that Verizon wasn't supported. Even several XDA posts said, not VZW. Finally after freaking out, I found the right XDA link and was able to get the Max restored and out of the bootloop. But the initial "easy" method didn't work. You load it on the SD Card, name it something (I forgot), then load that file from the bootloader. It's supposed to restore the phone to stock. It didn't work for me, so I had to setup an ADB folder on my computer, then perform the instructions from a command prompt with the correct file and it finally did work after 3 attempts.

Ah ok, seems like a bit more of an issue with Verizon than HTC specifically though. That's the big thing that would stop me ever switching over to them, their almost obsessive bootloader locking, root-breaking, feature removing stuff.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Ah ok, seems like a bit more of an issue with Verizon than HTC specifically though. That's the big thing that would stop me ever switching over to them, their almost obsessive bootloader locking, root-breaking, feature removing stuff.

Yes. It's definitely a Verizon HTC thing. Especially for the older Verizon HTC phones. I cannot commit on the M8 as I don't plan on doing any modding with the M8.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
A rooted device with super-user installed and set to deny all requests is exponentially more secure than a non-rooted device. For that reason alone I root all my devices.

That's not true at all. If a device is not rooted, the root/filesystem partition is marked as read only and in some cases, hidden from apps to see it. Also there is no su or supersu for apps to call for elevated permissions. In essence, on your phone, you're a standard user with non-admin privileges and can't do squat to the root partitions..

Like I mentioned in my post, people are malicious. If I write an app to exploit router bugs and then offer it free, are you 100% positive I haven't written other code in there that steals your data? Even if you set everything to deny, you are going to allow certain apps you "feel" are safe otherwise why root?

Explain how you feel it's exponentially more secure?

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
That's not true at all. If a device is not rooted, the root/filesystem partition is marked as read only and in some cases, hidden from apps to see it. Also there is no su or supersu for apps to call for elevated permissions. In essence, on your phone, you're a standard user with non-admin privileges and can't do squat to the root partitions..

Like I mentioned in my post, people are malicious. If I write an app to exploit router bugs and then offer it free, are you 100% positive I haven't written other code in there that steals your data? Even if you set everything to deny, you are going to allow certain apps you "feel" are safe otherwise why root?

Explain how you feel it's exponentially more secure?

Sorry but I am not here to take you to school but I will assure you with some more education in Linux you will become highly enlighten about how correct my post was.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Sorry but I am not here to take you to school but I will assure you with some more education in Linux you will become highly enlighten about how correct my post was.

I'm not here to argue with you either. I've run many distro's of Linux through the years.. Slackware, Suse, QNX, Debian and Redhat and root access is inherently less secure than accounts without elevated privileges, otherwise wouldn't the manufacturers add SU/SuperSU with a default of deny everything and give you a choice to allow if needed?

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Supporting Root access is a customer service nightmare. To the uneducated root access is like insuring a blind person to drive. People will do more damage to their device without viruses.

But if someone is willing to research root and learn what is needed to do it and the dangers there in they tend to handle it alot better. Not to say we don't have new members everyday asking for help with stuff that happened after rooting that no paid customer service employee can/will help with.

cizzlen

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
You seem new to Android so I'm just gonna suggest you don't worry about root. I have rooted and rom'd every phone I had until the M8.

A. It's a waste of time
B. There is no need with current flagships
C. Too many bugs and having to wipe, update and re-setup everything as before.

I get great battery, performance and unlimited customization. There is no need for root.

quanitc

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Personally I don't think its worth rooting at the moment on the M8, but I think when the next release of android comes out. I will root and convert to google play edition.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
You should just use the phone as is and if there is something that seriously annoys you about it that can be changed with root access, then go for it.

The phone is okay on its own, but I personally hate all the icons in the notification bar, so I'm installing mods to remove them. It's not difficult nor time consuming to just root most devices, but it depends on if you know what you're doing for the most part. You say you're an IT guy, but if you've never dabbled in manually rooting a device before then it make take longer for you to get a grasp as to how to do it, just depends. Not all instructions are clear/straight forward.

Of course flashing ROMs and such can be time consuming, but it'll depend on how you have your phone set up. If you have back ups of apps to just restore after a new flash and you have a third party launcher that backed up your set up, then it won't take long to get up and running.

Just depends on what you want to do with the phone after using it for a bit first.

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
You should just use the phone as is and if there is something that seriously annoys you about it that can be changed with root access, then go for it.

The phone is okay on its own, but I personally hate all the icons in the notification bar, so I'm installing mods to remove them. It's not difficult nor time consuming to just root most devices, but it depends on if you know what you're doing for the most part. You say you're an IT guy, but if you've never dabbled in manually rooting a device before then it make take longer for you to get a grasp as to how to do it, just depends. Not all instructions are clear/straight forward.

Of course flashing ROMs and such can be time consuming, but it'll depend on how you have your phone set up. If you have back ups of apps to just restore after a new flash and you have a third party launcher that backed up your set up, then it won't take long to get up and running.

Just depends on what you want to do with the phone after using it for a bit first.

The icon overload in the status bar is the only thing really killing me about this phone right now. Have you found a mod to get rid of the Location Services icon?

mbcastle

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
The number one reason to root is to install a custom ROM when the carrier drags their feet on issuing an update. Right now we're all running the latest and greatest, so that's currently not really an issue. Another reason to root is to use apps (like Titanium Backup) that require root. I went ahead and rooted (and S-off'd) my device right away, but I'm sticking with the stock ROM for now. Eventually I'll give another ROM a try. One thing to argue for rooting now, even if you're not looking to switch ROM's, is that you can currently unlock the bootloader at HTCDEV, at least for AT&T devices like mine. That could change at any time if AT&T (or another carrier) instructs HTC to block their CID. In that case rooting will become more difficult.

ctk4949

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I rooted to remove all the stupid verizon bloatware and so i can use mobile hot spot for free!! :)
Added HTC Internet Browser and HTC Flash Light app.
Removed HTC Emojis.

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I rooted to remove all the stupid verizon bloatware and so i can use mobile hot spot for free!! :)
Added HTC Internet Browser and HTC Flash Light app.
Removed HTC Emojis.

The German version we get here has no bloatware. Just pure HTC Sense stuff.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't root unless you have a reason. By that I mean an app that needs root permissions or you want to ROM.. Etc.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I wouldn't root unless you have a reason. By that I mean an app that needs root permissions or you want to ROM.. Etc.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

I agree. It is so easy to root the M8. It only took about 5 minutes with Weaksauce. But I unrooted because I don't really have a need for it. Unrooting took about 5 minutes too.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
well seems to me all of you are expertise in the android system

what made me read this review about rooting and that stuff
is that I deleted some photos from my internal memory accidentally and wanted to gain them back

unfortunately every single program that allows me to that requires me to root my HTC one M8
so is it worth it to do so or is there any alternative way to get back the deleted photos.

thanks in advance

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy