Spigen Slim Armor too bulky; alternatives?

Zakappel

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I cant seem to get comfortable holding the phone in the spigen case, despite the fact it's almost the same thickness as my old phone case from my htc evo 4g lte. Not sure if it's the shape, or the material or what. It's def much thicker than the phone, and i dont know if i need that added bulk. Also, i wanna get one that doesn't block the IR blaster. The phone actually feels really nice without a case, but its just a little slippery, and i do want some protection if i drop it, however rare that is.

The problem is, online, the manufacturers dont seem to list the exact dimensions of the cases, and i don't want to order another case only to have it arrive and find it's still too bulky. Has anyone found a case for the M8 that doesn't add so much thickness it's hard to get your hand around it comfortably? I also find that the texture on the Spigen case isn't very tacky, and therefore prone to slipping out of your hand.

I was looking at Amazon.com: Diztronic Matte Back Black Flexible TPU Case for HTC One M8 (2014) - Retail Packaging: Cell Phones & Accessories Good price, but i still dont know how it will feel in hand.

Then theres : Amazon.com: HTC One (M8) Barely There Case Black: Cell Phones & Accessories This is pricier than i like, and it makes me nervous that the case doesn't form a complete ring around the edge of the phone. I cant imagine it would absorb the force of a fall very well, but that's why im asking people for their opinion.

Lastly, the verizon stores in my area have a cheap 20$ click on case, similar to my old one that feels ok. I just figure if you can find something better and cheaper online i should look into it.

One other thing, anyone in the NYC area known any stores that are carrying cases for this phone, other than best buy and the verizon / t mobile stores which only has the expensive ones? Nothing beats trying em out in person.

Attachments

• P1020025.jpg
    P1020025.jpg
    433.1 KB · Views: 98
  • P1020027.jpg
    P1020027.jpg
    377.7 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
So, I have the Incipio Feather case Amazon.com: Incipio feather Case for HTC One (M8) - Carrying Case - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories. It's about $20 from Amazon. It is not made to protect the device from falls greater than a few feet, but the backing is grippy and you hardly even notice the case is on the phone. Also, it does not block the IR blaster. I've had Incipio Feather cases on my past 3 devices and I can say I'll always have one from here on out. But, keep in mind, it's not designed to make the phone dropable. It's just designed to prevent scratches, give you more grip, and help out if the phone falls from your pocket.

stringbeanie

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I bought the diztronic and it feels wonderful! Hardly any bulk at all and yet protects the face of the phone. I've used the spigen slim armor in the past on other phones and completely agree on the bulk.

Zakappel

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I bought the diztronic and it feels wonderful! Hardly any bulk at all and yet protects the face of the phone. I've used the spigen slim armor in the past on other phones and completely agree on the bulk.

How does the texture of the Diztronic case feel? I have an old rubbery belkin case for my ipod touch, and it's got a certain amount of stickiness to it, so it maintains friction against skin, whereas the Spigen one seems to slip out easier. I do a lot of one handed texting while walking or while on the train and i'm holding on with the other hand. I rely on my fingertips sticking to the underside of the phone to keep it in place while i'm navigating around the screen with my thumb.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I too have the SlimArmor case and agree with you, its not as slippery as the phone but it does add a bit of bulk.
In the past i have stuck with he Fosmon Kickstand case. Amazon.com: Evecase S-Line Slim TPU Case with Kick-Stand for 2014 New HTC One (M8) (Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile Versions Compatible) - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories
I had this for my Nexus 4, Nexus 7, HTC One M7 and Note 3. I should have my M8 case tomorrow.
In the past i have really liked the case due to it having a great grip, light feel and kickstand.

BetterMost#AC

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Without a little thickness you will have no drop portection just scratch protection. I think the slim armor case is great not to thick but it affords great drop protection at the same time.

Jesus Janica

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
81BZO35QU4L._SL1500_.jpgI purchased a speck candy shell grip case for my HTC one m8,it provides a lot of grip so you won't accidently drop it or anything,also it doesn't really add too much bulk to it compared to a lot of other cases.

Posted via Android Central App

Zakappel

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Without a little thickness you will have no drop portection just scratch protection. I think the slim armor case is great not to thick but it affords great drop protection at the same time.

Well i'm glad you like it, but if you read my post, i clearly stated that i don't, and i was looking for alternatives. Not sure what point you're trying to get across.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Well i'm glad you like it, but if you read my post, i clearly stated that i don't, and i was looking for alternatives. Not sure what point you're trying to get across.
Their point was in the first sentence. No reason to get offended...

Zakappel

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Their point was in the first sentence. No reason to get offended...

I didn't get offended, i just speak very directly that's all. I wasn't asking if thickness of a case affected the protection it offers, i'm well aware of the relationship between the two. Apparently you did get offended though; and it wasn't even your post lol. I apologize to all who's feelings were hurt.

Zakappel

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I went with the diztronic, and the size difference is perfect, exactly what I wanted in that sense. The only problem is the case itself is relatively slick, and does not give much traction again your hands. Other than putting thin strips of skateboard grip tape on it I'm not sure how else I can get it to be less slick. Anyone ever modified a slick case to make it tackier?

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I'm using the Seidio Surface case. It's very well made, slim and adds some grippiness.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

dwb3838

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I have the supcase and I love it . It has different color bumpers and the ir blaster is coverd but they use a clear material so the signal will go through and it feels like you don't have a case on its so light and thin . I bought mine on Amazon .

Posted via Android Central App

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
You will probably want a 1 piece case if you want to keep it thin.

I've been looking at the Spigen STRONG-FLEX. $12 on Amazon.

3yqeQjul.jpg

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I cant seem to get comfortable holding the phone in the spigen case, despite the fact it's almost the same thickness as my old phone case from my htc evo 4g lte. Not sure if it's the shape, or the material or what. It's def much thicker than the phone, and i dont know if i need that added bulk. Also, i wanna get one that doesn't block the IR blaster. The phone actually feels really nice without a case, but its just a little slippery, and i do want some protection if i drop it, however rare that is.

The problem is, online, the manufacturers dont seem to list the exact dimensions of the cases, and i don't want to order another case only to have it arrive and find it's still too bulky. Has anyone found a case for the M8 that doesn't add so much thickness it's hard to get your hand around it comfortably? I also find that the texture on the Spigen case isn't very tacky, and therefore prone to slipping out of your hand.

I was looking at Amazon.com: Diztronic Matte Back Black Flexible TPU Case for HTC One M8 (2014) - Retail Packaging: Cell Phones & Accessories Good price, but i still dont know how it will feel in hand.

Then theres : Amazon.com: HTC One (M8) Barely There Case Black: Cell Phones & Accessories This is pricier than i like, and it makes me nervous that the case doesn't form a complete ring around the edge of the phone. I cant imagine it would absorb the force of a fall very well, but that's why im asking people for their opinion.

Lastly, the verizon stores in my area have a cheap 20$ click on case, similar to my old one that feels ok. I just figure if you can find something better and cheaper online i should look into it.

One other thing, anyone in the NYC area known any stores that are carrying cases for this phone, other than best buy and the verizon / t mobile stores which only has the expensive ones? Nothing beats trying em out in person.

This has been my issue with a lot of phones and cases today, the phones are super thin and then we add a case and whamo its bulky and unruly. Try looking at the Spigen Bounce case if they offer one for the M8, very thing profile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs