Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 90
Like Tree29Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Previous HTC One was outsold four times over by Galaxy S4

    Samsung outsold HTC four times last year: HTC One sales revealed at 5 million within 2 months, while Galaxy S4 got 20 million

    Pretty ridiculous, do you guys think we will see the same thing this time around?

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
  2. #2  
    RobbyRob's Avatar

    Posts
    60 Posts
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

    Default Re: Previous HTC one was outsold four times over by Gs4

    People buy Samsung for the name. Can't argue sense anymore because it is technically less intrusive to stock android than touchwiz.

    Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Previous HTC one was outsold four times over by Gs4

    Since the GS5 outsold the GS4, yup... you can expect the same or even more. After all, the new HTC One does seem to be doing a little better than the One did. No matter what the reviews say (or said), they still haven't been able to translate into actual sales, and THAT'S what's hurting poor underdog HTC.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Previous HTC one was outsold four times over by Gs4

    Quote Originally Posted by RobbyRob View Post
    People buy Samsung for the name. Can't argue sense anymore because it is technically less intrusive to stock android than touchwiz.

    Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    Agreed. They will of course outsell HTC again. It's a no brainer when you have David vs. Goliath in terms of monetary availability. It's not because of better quality but because of name recognition and dollars spend on advertising.
    coronaboy10 likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Previous HTC one was outsold four times over by Gs4

    Quote Originally Posted by ugxvibe View Post
    Agreed. They will of course outsell HTC again. It's a no brainer when you have David vs. Goliath in terms of monetary availability. It's not because of better quality but because of name recognition and dollars spend on advertising.
    Could be both, you can't sell millions of dollars worth of a low quality product no matter how you market it.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    jroc likes this.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Previous HTC one was outsold four times over by Gs4

    Quote Originally Posted by Soundtrack to Chaos View Post
    Samsung outsold HTC four times last year: HTC One sales revealed at 5 million within 2 months, while Galaxy S4 got 20 million

    Pretty ridiculous, do you guys think we will see the same thing this time around?

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    I do. Samsung has pumped out tons of phones in the last few years. They've made their name some what synonymous with android. That and you can't argue that they make a good phone's

    For me i like htc more but that doesn't mean i have to hate Sammy too like htc. Htc and LG put out fantastic phones but i think Samsung is what the majority thinks of when they consider android. .02$
    jroc and cizzlen like this.
  7. #7  
    dtblair24's Avatar

    Posts
    270 Posts
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CyanogenMod 10

    Default Re: Previous HTC one was outsold four times over by Gs4

    Probably. Like many of you have said, Samsung is the king of android right now. When people think of an android device, the galaxy series is probably the first thing that comes to their mind.

    Posted via Android Central App
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Previous HTC one was outsold four times over by Gs4

    Quote Originally Posted by Soundtrack to Chaos View Post
    Samsung outsold HTC four times last year: HTC One sales revealed at 5 million within 2 months, while Galaxy S4 got 20 million

    Pretty ridiculous, do you guys think we will see the same thing this time around?

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    Nope. THis time the HTC M8 has a microSD slot.
    That is the only reason I got an S4.
    HTC M8 has microSD this time. Not even considering an S5.
    If the LG G3 has microSD, then it will also be on the map for me.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Previous HTC one was outsold four times over by Gs4

    Quote Originally Posted by Soundtrack to Chaos View Post
    Could be both, you can't sell millions of dollars worth of a low quality product no matter how you market it.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    I didn't imply Samsung is low quality, I'm talking about a comparison between the Ones and Galaxys. They are both recognized as high end devices with great features. It all comes down to what I said in the last post, IMO of course.

    If HTC made TV's, refrigerators, etc...you could see a much closer competition in the phone sale battle because people would feel more comfortable with purchasing a brand they know. Unfortunately it takes word of mouth for the most part to get the M8 sold and it's not wholly their fault. I actually commend them for deciding to take on Apple, Samsung and LG in the phone market.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by dtblair24 View Post
    Probably. Like many of you have said, Samsung is the king of android right now. When people think of an android device, the galaxy series is probably the first thing that comes to their mind.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Actually I would think of 'DROID' :P
    jroc likes this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: Previous HTC one was outsold four times over by Gs4

    Quote Originally Posted by ugxvibe View Post
    I didn't imply Samsung is low quality, I'm talking about a comparison between the Ones and Galaxys. They are both recognized as high end devices with great features. It all comes down to what I said in the last post, IMO of course.

    If HTC made TV's, refrigerators, etc...you could see a much closer competition in the phone sale battle because people would feel more comfortable with purchasing a brand they know. Unfortunately it takes word of mouth for the most part to get the M8 sold and it's not wholly their fault. I actually commend them for deciding to take on Apple, Samsung and LG in the phone market.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Actually I would think of 'DROID' :P
    I hate that word sooooooooo much, because some people call every Android a Droid when Droid is a brand of Android, lol

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    ugxvibe likes this.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Previous HTC one was outsold four times over by Gs4

    Quote Originally Posted by Soundtrack to Chaos View Post
    I hate that word sooooooooo much, because some people call every Android a Droid when Droid is a brand of Android, lol

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk


    Haha
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default Re: Previous HTC one was outsold four times over by Gs4

    Quote Originally Posted by ugxvibe View Post


    Haha
    I'll check this out when I get home

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Previous HTC one was outsold four times over by Gs4

    Quote Originally Posted by ugxvibe View Post
    I didn't imply Samsung is low quality, I'm talking about a comparison between the Ones and Galaxys. They are both recognized as high end devices with great features. It all comes down to what I said in the last post, IMO of course.

    If HTC made TV's, refrigerators, etc...you could see a much closer competition in the phone sale battle because people would feel more comfortable with purchasing a brand they know. Unfortunately it takes word of mouth for the most part to get the M8 sold and it's not wholly their fault. I actually commend them for deciding to take on Apple, Samsung and LG in the phone market.

    - - - Updated - - -


    Actually I would think of 'DROID' :P
    That's a pretty good point. First, Samsung DOESN'T make bad phones, even if they're 'plastic', they're not bad phones. They're great (I've stuck to the Galaxy line for 4 phones now) but that doesn't mean that HTC's isn't great or the other way around. But Samsung, besides the gazillion dollars it can spend on Marketing, has another trick up its sleeve: cross-device compatibility.

    Why do iGuys have iEverything on their gadget list? Because they work well together. If I own a Samsung TV, BluRay player, and Sound System, I'm more likely to stick to the brand when I get a new phone (same thing goes for the reverse... that's why I chose Samsung for my SmartTV over another brand, because I already had an S4). Same thing with tablets. I chose a Galaxy Note tablet because of what I already own from Samsung (that and the fact that it IS the best tablet available, even with the aging Nexus 10 available).

    Brand recognition goes a long way, but like some else said, this recognition doesn't come from crappy phones. They make great devices (even if you choose to 'hate' Sammy, they do). HTC makes great devices, too, but their past is too heavy on them and stellar reviews do not translate into stellar sales.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Previous HTC one was outsold four times over by Gs4

    Again, it's just marketing power. If you think quality dictates sales, take a look at the boxoffice rankings. Personally, I like owning the "cool" phone that fewer people know about. Over the last couple years I've had several Samsung flagship owners tell me they wish their phone could do some things the way my One does and they've taken a genuine interest in the phone.
    coronaboy10 likes this.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Previous HTC one was outsold four times over by Gs4

    Quote Originally Posted by B0WIE View Post
    Again, it's just marketing power. If you think quality dictates sales, take a look at the boxoffice rankings. Personally, I like owning the "cool" phone that fewer people know about. Over the last couple years I've had several Samsung flagship owners tell me they wish their phone could do some things the way my One does and they've taken a genuine interest in the phone.
    I'm completely the opposite. I tried the One before getting the Note 3 and absolutely felt appalled by the on-screen buttons and crappy camera. This time around, even though I'm not uber-impressed by the S5, the same goes for the New One, except the crappy camera is back, with dual lenses to make things more head-scratching. Plus, the S5 is waterproof. Still, I'm waiting to see how the Note 4 turns out and even what Apple comes out with (the latter hasn't impressed me AT ALL since the original iPhone, though) before I make a decision for my next phone.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Previous HTC one was outsold four times over by Gs4

    Quote Originally Posted by SpookDroid View Post
    I'm completely the opposite. I tried the One before getting the Note 3 and absolutely felt appalled by the on-screen buttons and crappy camera. This time around, even though I'm not uber-impressed by the S5, the same goes for the New One, except the crappy camera is back, with dual lenses to make things more head-scratching. Plus, the S5 is waterproof. Still, I'm waiting to see how the Note 4 turns out and even what Apple comes out with (the latter hasn't impressed me AT ALL since the original iPhone, though) before I make a decision for my next phone.
    To each is own. I partially bought it for the camera and it can do a lot of things the S5 cam can't. I never had a problem understanding what the dual lenses were about. I don't swim w/ my phone so the high water resistance of the M8 is more than I'll ever need. The S5 was unacceptably laggy for me so my preference is obvious.
    coronaboy10 likes this.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Previous HTC one was outsold four times over by Gs4

    Just to clarify, I DID understand what the dual lenses were about ' What I meant is that even with the dual lenses, the pictures came out (again, like you say, to my taste) so crappy when compared to a Note 3, an S5, an iPhone 5S, and a Nokia can'trememberthefrigginnumber. And to avoid the 'but this is a 4MP camera, you can't compare it to higher ones' remark, I set the resolution on all phones to the lowest possible setting (I seldom use the full resolution anyway, so that didn't put me off). But just the same, even though the iPhone has an exceptionally good camera, I wouldn't get one because I get so frustrated by the software and the single-button operation.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Previous HTC one was outsold four times over by Gs4

    Quote Originally Posted by dtblair24 View Post
    Probably. Like many of you have said, Samsung is the king of android right now. When people think of an android device, the galaxy series is probably the first thing that comes to their mind.

    Posted via Android Central App
    I wonder if Samsung will switch all their devices to their Tizen OS soon. Might be a huge mistake if they do.

    But yeah, why should anyone be surprised about this? Samsung is a marketing powerhouse and now has a name people know and trust. They are the Apple of Androids.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Previous HTC one was outsold four times over by Gs4

    Although I would love for HTC phones to sell better, I have to admit I love having a phone that not everyone else can say they have.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Previous HTC one was outsold four times over by Gs4

    Quote Originally Posted by SpookDroid View Post
    I'm completely the opposite. I tried the One before getting the Note 3 and absolutely felt appalled by the on-screen buttons and crappy camera. This time around, even though I'm not uber-impressed by the S5, the same goes for the New One, except the crappy camera is back, with dual lenses to make things more head-scratching. Plus, the S5 is waterproof. Still, I'm waiting to see how the Note 4 turns out and even what Apple comes out with (the latter hasn't impressed me AT ALL since the original iPhone, though) before I make a decision for my next phone.
    Are you saying you tried last year's One? The m7 didn't have on screen buttons, it had two capacitive buttons. Only the new m8 has on screen buttons

    Posted via Android Central App
    coronaboy10 likes this.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Previous HTC one was outsold four times over by Gs4

    Quote Originally Posted by SpookDroid View Post
    Just to clarify, I DID understand what the dual lenses were about ' What I meant is that even with the dual lenses, the pictures came out (again, like you say, to my taste) so crappy when compared to a Note 3, an S5, an iPhone 5S, and a Nokia can'trememberthefrigginnumber. And to avoid the 'but this is a 4MP camera, you can't compare it to higher ones' remark, I set the resolution on all phones to the lowest possible setting (I seldom use the full resolution anyway, so that didn't put me off). But just the same, even though the iPhone has an exceptionally good camera, I wouldn't get one because I get so frustrated by the software and the single-button operation.
    You set the resolution to the lowest setting on each phone and then compared the picture quality? Wouldn't you want to do the exact opposite?

    Posted via Android Central App
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

    Default Re: Previous HTC one was outsold four times over by Gs4

    Quote Originally Posted by ThrottleJohnny View Post
    Although I would love for HTC phones to sell better, I have to admit I love having a phone that not everyone else can say they have.
    Yea, I feel you

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Previous HTC one was outsold four times over by Gs4

    Quote Originally Posted by Skyway View Post
    You set the resolution to the lowest setting on each phone and then compared the picture quality? Wouldn't you want to do the exact opposite?

    Posted via Android Central App
    Not if I want to be truly fair. I've seen the reviews comparing 13MP shots with the 4MP of the M8 and keep thinking: well, of course they're gonna turn out 'worse' if you're comparing a newspaper ad to a Times Square billboard. So, I set the higher ones to the lowest resolution to have a more similar base of comparison (the Note 3, for instance, has a lowest setting of 6MP, so even then it's not quite the same). Again, I seldom shoot with the highest resolution on my phone just because it can handle it; I use a reasonable setting for what I'll be using the pictures for, and usually 4-6MP works fine for me.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Previous HTC one was outsold four times over by Gs4

    Quote Originally Posted by Skyway View Post
    Are you saying you tried last year's One? The m7 didn't have on screen buttons, it had two capacitive buttons. Only the new m8 has on screen buttons

    Posted via Android Central App
    My bad, you're right, M7 I hated capacitive buttons (and the HTC Black Bar). I'm a fan of the Home Button hehe, sorry, can't help it. And the M8 (and pretty much everything Android nowadays) have onscreen buttons, which I totally loathe. Screen real estate wasted IMHO. (Yeah, yeah, I know, 'Immersive mode' in KitKat... crap! You wouldn't need that with proper buttons).
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Previous HTC one was outsold four times over by Gs4

    Apple & Samsung will always/continue to dominate. This is why I think hTc didn't bother spending more for the Camera.

    I can't remember where I heard but the S5 already broke early sales record the S4 had.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. hidden HTC m8 wallpaper
    By The Royaloak in forum HTC One M8
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-21-2014, 02:29 PM
  2. How can I repair a metal bar on my HTC One M7?
    By Jordan Becker1 in forum HTC One M7
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-21-2014, 12:50 PM

Posting Permissions