Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 22 of 22
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mhunter6378
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    xreyuk's Avatar

    Posts
    10 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

    Default New One M8 User - Couple of questions.

    Hi guys,

    I'm a new HTC One M8 (and Android) user. I have previously owned only Apple devices for the past 3 or so years, and never owned an Android device.

    I have a couple of questions to do with the M8 and hoping you guys can help.

    1. On iOS, I use Activator on my jailbroken iPhone, specially, to turn off some features when I join any WiFi network, and turn them off when I leave WiFi. Is there anything available for Android, that will allow me to trigger events when joining/leaving WiFi? (I am not able to root, this is a work phone). I specifically want to disable bluetooth, cellular data, and LTE when joining WiFi, and re-enable them when leaving.

    2. I have changed my default location to my hometown in the HTC weather app, as I don't allow my phones to track my location. The weather app shows my home town, on the home screen weather/clock widget. However, on the lock screen widget, it just says 'Weather Unavailable'. Anyone know how I can fix that?

    3. Is there a way to view battery usage time per app? At present I can only see how much percentage each app has used, and how long the phone has been on in total. Ideally, I would like to know standby time and usage time.

    Thanks!
  2. #2  

    Default Re: New One M8 User - Couple of questions.

    Quote Originally Posted by xreyuk View Post
    3. Is there a way to view battery usage time per app? At present I can only see how much percentage each app has used, and how long the phone has been on in total. Ideally, I would like to know standby time and usage time.
    GSM Battery Monitor is a great application for more advanced monitoring of your device and its battery consumption.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

    I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
    Thanked by:
    xreyuk 
  3. #3  

    Default Re: New One M8 User - Couple of questions.

    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....taskerm&hl=en This may help you with some of the automated tasks you are looking to do. Try a restart to clear up the issue with the lock screen widget.
    Thanked by 2:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    xreyuk's Avatar

    Posts
    10 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

    Default Re: New One M8 User - Couple of questions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    GSM Battery Monitor is a great application for more advanced monitoring of your device and its battery consumption.
    Quote Originally Posted by mhunter6378 View Post
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....taskerm&hl=en This may help you with some of the automated tasks you are looking to do. Try a restart to clear up the issue with the lock screen widget.
    Thanks guys, really appreciate it.

    With GSAM Battery Monitor, do I just install it, start it up, and leave it going?

    I'll take a look at Tasker, but someone has pointed me in the direction of Condi, which is free and seems to do what I want

    With regards to the weather, I've already tried a couple of restarts, and also deleting and re-adding the city, but no joy at the moment.

    Thanks.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: New One M8 User - Couple of questions.

    Quote Originally Posted by xreyuk View Post
    With regards to the weather, I've already tried a couple of restarts, and also deleting and re-adding the city, but no joy at the moment
    Go to Settings>Accounts & sync>Htc weather and check your settings - you can also force a sync by tapping the three dot overflow button while you are in the weather settings
  6. #6  

    Default Re: New One M8 User - Couple of questions.

    Quote Originally Posted by xreyuk View Post
    With GSAM Battery Monitor, do I just install it, start it up, and leave it going?
    Yes it's a very self sufficient program that does have user selectable options to tweak things but overall provides an excellent break down of what exactly is going on with your phone and its battery consumption.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

    I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: New One M8 User - Couple of questions.

    Quote Originally Posted by xreyuk View Post
    Hi guys,

    I'm a new HTC One M8 (and Android) user. I have previously owned only Apple devices for the past 3 or so years, and never owned an Android device.

    I have a couple of questions to do with the M8 and hoping you guys can help.

    1. On iOS, I use Activator on my jailbroken iPhone, specially, to turn off some features when I join any WiFi network, and turn them off when I leave WiFi. Is there anything available for Android, that will allow me to trigger events when joining/leaving WiFi? (I am not able to root, this is a work phone). I specifically want to disable bluetooth, cellular data, and LTE when joining WiFi, and re-enable them when leaving.

    2. I have changed my default location to my hometown in the HTC weather app, as I don't allow my phones to track my location. The weather app shows my home town, on the home screen weather/clock widget. However, on the lock screen widget, it just says 'Weather Unavailable'. Anyone know how I can fix that?

    3. Is there a way to view battery usage time per app? At present I can only see how much percentage each app has used, and how long the phone has been on in total. Ideally, I would like to know standby time and usage time.

    Thanks!
    I use Llama for automation. Quite a bit easier than Tasker and also free.

    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...om.kebab.Llama
  8. #8  

    Default Re: New One M8 User - Couple of questions.

    I use tasker for the automation stuff (disable BT when on wifi, etc). I do not think you need to worry about toggling cell data (or LTE) on wifi connect, as wifi already does that. But Tasker does the rest of that pretty well, though it can get complicated as Tasker can do way more than I need it to do. Works pretty well even without root.

    For the weather problems... are you by chance disabling your GPS? Take a peek in the LOCATION menu in settings and see what is what... perhaps you have Weather blocked. If for nothing other than troubleshooting, install THE WEATHER CHANNEL and see if it behaves any better. If it does similar things, something is blocking your location, or data somehow.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: New One M8 User - Couple of questions.

    For #3, settings , power, usage, then click on the app you want to know about and you get detailed info.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  
    xreyuk's Avatar

    Posts
    10 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

    Default Re: New One M8 User - Couple of questions.

    Quote Originally Posted by mhunter6378 View Post
    Go to Settings>Accounts & sync>Htc weather and check your settings - you can also force a sync by tapping the three dot overflow button while you are in the weather settings
    Quote Originally Posted by deadeye99 View Post
    For #3, settings , power, usage, then click on the app you want to know about and you get detailed info.
    Again, thanks for all the answers.

    Regarding weather, I've already tried resynching, deleting and re-adding cities, and also rebooting the phone, but it still displays 'weather unavailable' on the lock screen, whilst correctly displaying it on the home screen.

    @Deadeye99 - That only gives me a percentage that each app has used, and a total 'on battery' time. AFAIK I have to use GSM battery monitor to see things like Standby/Usage time, and then usage time/percentage per app.

    Cheers.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: New One M8 User - Couple of questions.

    Quote Originally Posted by xreyuk View Post
    Again, thanks for all the answers.

    Regarding weather, I've already tried resynching, deleting and re-adding cities, and also rebooting the phone, but it still displays 'weather unavailable' on the lock screen, whilst correctly displaying it on the home screen.

    @Deadeye99 - That only gives me a percentage that each app has used, and a total 'on battery' time. AFAIK I have to use GSM battery monitor to see things like Standby/Usage time, and then usage time/percentage per app.

    Cheers.
    Well as a last resort tactic, you could delete the widget from your home screen and then add it back. That may force the lock screen widget to update. Just a thought...
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  
    xreyuk's Avatar

    Posts
    10 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

    Default Re: New One M8 User - Couple of questions.

    Quote Originally Posted by mhunter6378 View Post
    Well as a last resort tactic, you could delete the widget from your home screen and then add it back. That may force the lock screen widget to update. Just a thought...
    I tried deleting it, but it's one that's there by default and I couldn't find a way to delete it. At present I have lock screen widgets disabled, so I re-enabled them but it still wouldn't let me remove it.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: New One M8 User - Couple of questions.

    Yeah you can't delete the one on the lock screen. You saying that there is not one on your home screen?
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  
    xreyuk's Avatar

    Posts
    10 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

    Default Re: New One M8 User - Couple of questions.

    Sorry, I completely misread what you wrote, I thought you said delete from lock screen!

    I'll try again, but I have already deleted the home screen widget a couple of times when I was messing around. I'll give it another go though.

    Thanks.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: New One M8 User - Couple of questions.

    Quote Originally Posted by xreyuk View Post
    Regarding weather, I've already tried resynching, deleting and re-adding cities, and also rebooting the phone, but it still displays 'weather unavailable' on the lock screen, whilst correctly displaying it on the home
    Check this thread
    Fast Boot?
    Some good points raised regarding the fast boot setting. It's possible that the restarts you have done to clear this issue are not working due to fast boot and the way it retains cached processes in ram.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  
    xreyuk's Avatar

    Posts
    10 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

    Default Re: New One M8 User - Couple of questions.

    Quote Originally Posted by mhunter6378 View Post
    Check this thread
    Fast Boot?
    Some good points raised regarding the fast boot setting. It's possible that the restarts you have done to clear this issue are not working due to fast boot and the way it retains cached processes in ram.
    Thanks again, but I've also tried a reboot with FastBoot disabled
  17. #17  

    Default Re: New One M8 User - Couple of questions.

    Quote Originally Posted by xreyuk View Post
    Thanks again, but I've also tried a reboot with FastBoot disabled
    Have you tried going into settings>apps>swipe over to "all">scroll down to weather and clock widget>tap and then select clear cache then clear data - this will clear all info from the widget
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  
    xreyuk's Avatar

    Posts
    10 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

    Default Re: New One M8 User - Couple of questions.

    Quote Originally Posted by mhunter6378 View Post
    Have you tried going into settings>apps>swipe over to "all">scroll down to weather and clock widget>tap and then select clear cache then clear data - this will clear all info from the widget
    Thanks, gave that a go, then disabled fast boot and rebooted, and unfortunately still didn't fix it It's almost as though the lock screen widget is still trying to use my current location instead of the selected city.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: New One M8 User - Couple of questions.

    Quote Originally Posted by xreyuk View Post
    Thanks, gave that a go, then disabled fast boot and rebooted, and unfortunately still didn't fix it It's almost as though the lock screen widget is still trying to use my current location instead of the selected city.
    Could be, but I would expect that it would offer the same data as the one in use on the home screen and pull from the same source, though I don't know for sure. Unfortunately my bag o' tricks is empty and I have no more ideas to offer. Hope you find a solution to this issue....
    Thanked by:
    xreyuk 
    Paul627g likes this.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  
    xreyuk's Avatar

    Posts
    10 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

    Default Re: New One M8 User - Couple of questions.

    Quote Originally Posted by mhunter6378 View Post
    Could be, but I would expect that it would offer the same data as the one in use on the home screen and pull from the same source, though I don't know for sure. Unfortunately my bag o' tricks is empty and I have no more ideas to offer. Hope you find a solution to this issue....
    Thanks for your help anyways!
  21. #21  

    Default Re: New One M8 User - Couple of questions.

    Not sure if you've tried this, but this worked for me. Under settings>location>mode, it needs to be set at either high accuracy or battery saving for weather to show on lockscreen. I had it set at device only before and weather was only available on home. Hope it helps.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: New One M8 User - Couple of questions.

    Quote Originally Posted by 1888744 View Post
    Not sure if you've tried this, but this worked for me. Under settings>location>mode, it needs to be set at either high accuracy or battery saving for weather to show on lockscreen. I had it set at device only before and weather was only available on home. Hope it helps.
    Thanks, 1888744. I was having the exact same issue as OP, with the weather on the lock screen showing "Weather Unavailable" and setting it to high accuracy solved the problem.

    Now, here's the part where someone more knowledgeable than me will have to chime in. In order to set high accuracy, I had to agree to let Google collect anonymous usage statistics. But when I hit agree, the next popup said that in a previous version of Android I had disallowed Google apps from knowing my location. So I kept that setting.

    So I'm not sure if I just did nothing at all there (because of that second popup) or if Google really is collecting anonymous usage data about me now. Regardless, thanks again 1888744, your fix did the trick!

Similar Threads

  1. TheVerge review of Z2 up and says screen brightness is deal breaker
    By quietlybrilliant in forum Sony Xperia Z2
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-12-2014, 05:49 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-22-2014, 10:05 PM
  3. New Hangouts with merged SMS!
    By osiris355 in forum Moto X (2013)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-22-2014, 12:51 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-22-2014, 04:07 AM
  5. Samsung Galaxy S5 vs HTC One (M8) Camera shootout
    By Paul627g in forum Phone Wars
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-21-2014, 04:21 PM

Posting Permissions