New One M8 User - Couple of questions.

xreyuk

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,

I'm a new HTC One M8 (and Android) user. I have previously owned only Apple devices for the past 3 or so years, and never owned an Android device.

I have a couple of questions to do with the M8 and hoping you guys can help.

1. On iOS, I use Activator on my jailbroken iPhone, specially, to turn off some features when I join any WiFi network, and turn them off when I leave WiFi. Is there anything available for Android, that will allow me to trigger events when joining/leaving WiFi? (I am not able to root, this is a work phone). I specifically want to disable bluetooth, cellular data, and LTE when joining WiFi, and re-enable them when leaving.

2. I have changed my default location to my hometown in the HTC weather app, as I don't allow my phones to track my location. The weather app shows my home town, on the home screen weather/clock widget. However, on the lock screen widget, it just says 'Weather Unavailable'. Anyone know how I can fix that?

3. Is there a way to view battery usage time per app? At present I can only see how much percentage each app has used, and how long the phone has been on in total. Ideally, I would like to know standby time and usage time.

Thanks!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
3. Is there a way to view battery usage time per app? At present I can only see how much percentage each app has used, and how long the phone has been on in total. Ideally, I would like to know standby time and usage time.
GSM Battery Monitor is a great application for more advanced monitoring of your device and its battery consumption.

xreyuk

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
GSM Battery Monitor is a great application for more advanced monitoring of your device and its battery consumption.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...inglisch.android.taskerm&hl=en&token=phmRWYHq This may help you with some of the automated tasks you are looking to do. Try a restart to clear up the issue with the lock screen widget.

Thanks guys, really appreciate it.

With GSAM Battery Monitor, do I just install it, start it up, and leave it going?

I'll take a look at Tasker, but someone has pointed me in the direction of Condi, which is free and seems to do what I want :)

With regards to the weather, I've already tried a couple of restarts, and also deleting and re-adding the city, but no joy at the moment.

Thanks.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
With regards to the weather, I've already tried a couple of restarts, and also deleting and re-adding the city, but no joy at the moment

Go to Settings>Accounts & sync>Htc weather and check your settings - you can also force a sync by tapping the three dot overflow button while you are in the weather settings

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
With GSAM Battery Monitor, do I just install it, start it up, and leave it going?
Yes it's a very self sufficient program that does have user selectable options to tweak things but overall provides an excellent break down of what exactly is going on with your phone and its battery consumption.

bucketheadmn

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys,

I'm a new HTC One M8 (and Android) user. I have previously owned only Apple devices for the past 3 or so years, and never owned an Android device.

I have a couple of questions to do with the M8 and hoping you guys can help.

1. On iOS, I use Activator on my jailbroken iPhone, specially, to turn off some features when I join any WiFi network, and turn them off when I leave WiFi. Is there anything available for Android, that will allow me to trigger events when joining/leaving WiFi? (I am not able to root, this is a work phone). I specifically want to disable bluetooth, cellular data, and LTE when joining WiFi, and re-enable them when leaving.

2. I have changed my default location to my hometown in the HTC weather app, as I don't allow my phones to track my location. The weather app shows my home town, on the home screen weather/clock widget. However, on the lock screen widget, it just says 'Weather Unavailable'. Anyone know how I can fix that?

Thanks!

I use Llama for automation. Quite a bit easier than Tasker and also free.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...pps/details?id=com.kebab.Llama&token=z8_NZI3H

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I use tasker for the automation stuff (disable BT when on wifi, etc). I do not think you need to worry about toggling cell data (or LTE) on wifi connect, as wifi already does that. But Tasker does the rest of that pretty well, though it can get complicated as Tasker can do way more than I need it to do. Works pretty well even without root.

For the weather problems... are you by chance disabling your GPS? Take a peek in the LOCATION menu in settings and see what is what... perhaps you have Weather blocked. If for nothing other than troubleshooting, install THE WEATHER CHANNEL and see if it behaves any better. If it does similar things, something is blocking your location, or data somehow.

xreyuk

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Go to Settings>Accounts & sync>Htc weather and check your settings - you can also force a sync by tapping the three dot overflow button while you are in the weather settings

For #3, settings , power, usage, then click on the app you want to know about and you get detailed info.

Again, thanks for all the answers.

Regarding weather, I've already tried resynching, deleting and re-adding cities, and also rebooting the phone, but it still displays 'weather unavailable' on the lock screen, whilst correctly displaying it on the home screen.

@Deadeye99 - That only gives me a percentage that each app has used, and a total 'on battery' time. AFAIK I have to use GSM battery monitor to see things like Standby/Usage time, and then usage time/percentage per app.

Cheers.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Again, thanks for all the answers.

Regarding weather, I've already tried resynching, deleting and re-adding cities, and also rebooting the phone, but it still displays 'weather unavailable' on the lock screen, whilst correctly displaying it on the home screen.

@Deadeye99 - That only gives me a percentage that each app has used, and a total 'on battery' time. AFAIK I have to use GSM battery monitor to see things like Standby/Usage time, and then usage time/percentage per app.

Cheers.

Well as a last resort tactic, you could delete the widget from your home screen and then add it back. That may force the lock screen widget to update. Just a thought...

xreyuk

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Well as a last resort tactic, you could delete the widget from your home screen and then add it back. That may force the lock screen widget to update. Just a thought...

I tried deleting it, but it's one that's there by default and I couldn't find a way to delete it. At present I have lock screen widgets disabled, so I re-enabled them but it still wouldn't let me remove it.

xreyuk

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Sorry, I completely misread what you wrote, I thought you said delete from lock screen!

I'll try again, but I have already deleted the home screen widget a couple of times when I was messing around. I'll give it another go though.

Thanks.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Regarding weather, I've already tried resynching, deleting and re-adding cities, and also rebooting the phone, but it still displays 'weather unavailable' on the lock screen, whilst correctly displaying it on the home

Check this thread
http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-one-m8/383247-fast-boot.html
Some good points raised regarding the fast boot setting. It's possible that the restarts you have done to clear this issue are not working due to fast boot and the way it retains cached processes in ram.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks again, but I've also tried a reboot with FastBoot disabled :(

Have you tried going into settings>apps>swipe over to "all">scroll down to weather and clock widget>tap and then select clear cache then clear data - this will clear all info from the widget

xreyuk

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried going into settings>apps>swipe over to "all">scroll down to weather and clock widget>tap and then select clear cache then clear data - this will clear all info from the widget

Thanks, gave that a go, then disabled fast boot and rebooted, and unfortunately still didn't fix it :( It's almost as though the lock screen widget is still trying to use my current location instead of the selected city.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, gave that a go, then disabled fast boot and rebooted, and unfortunately still didn't fix it :( It's almost as though the lock screen widget is still trying to use my current location instead of the selected city.

Could be, but I would expect that it would offer the same data as the one in use on the home screen and pull from the same source, though I don't know for sure. Unfortunately my bag o' tricks is empty and I have no more ideas to offer. Hope you find a solution to this issue....

xreyuk

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Could be, but I would expect that it would offer the same data as the one in use on the home screen and pull from the same source, though I don't know for sure. Unfortunately my bag o' tricks is empty and I have no more ideas to offer. Hope you find a solution to this issue....

Thanks for your help anyways!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2