Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default I don't know what to do! HELP

Okay so the title is a bit dramatic but seriously...

I was an iPhone 5s user and became over the stale os so I stole an upgrade from my parents. I got the HTC one m8. I love the build quality (I'd rather have the more matte silver one though) and I love the speakers. The battery was good but the bottom black space drove me crazy. I also had a Google play edition. And I didn't care for that. I gave my step dad the HTC one m8 and took his upgrade to get the galaxy s5 when it was released. I'm still in my 14 days but it's kind of driving me crazy. I prefer the camera and the screen over the m8 but it still seems seems so slow. And I'm using a different launcher. Also the phone unlocks too easily. Today at work my s5 took 45 screen shots in my pocket!

Both phones have things I love and things I hate! What do I do? Time is running out and I need advice!

I'm on att by the way.

Default Re: I don't know what to do! HELP

Return s5, keep m8, stick with one phone at a time and stop wasting peoples upgrades. When you do multiple phones at once, this is what happens. You can't decide.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    B0WIE and icenija like this.

The screen is give and take, I guess. Samsung seems to have finally figured out their white balance issues. In my opinion the m8 is better in every way except maybe the camera. So, if you're willing to sacrifice everything else for a maybe better camera then I'd say get the s5. But then, I really like my m8.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by mchockeyvette27 View Post
    Return s5, keep m8, stick with one phone at a time and stop wasting peoples upgrades. When you do multiple phones at once, this is what happens. You can't decide.

There's some truth in this.
    When the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence it's hard to like what you have.

Pick a phone and stick with it and enjoy it/ learn to live with the stuff the other phone does that yours doesn't.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Do you think HTC sense enhances the HTC one m8? I think maybe stock android was too vanilla for me with the HTC? I don't know. I just don't want to be stuck with a mistake for a year and a half.

Go back to the iPhone lol

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by cyberr8der View Post
    Go back to the iPhone lol

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
    I've been tempted. Maybe that's the answer :/ iPhone screen size is a deal breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by manni1to View Post

I prefer the camera and the screen over the m8 but it still seems seems so slow. And I'm using a different launcher. Also the phone unlocks too easily. Today at work my s5 took 45 screen shots in my pocket!
    I'm gonna focus on this for a minute. To me, slow is a key word here. If you're anything like me and you like your phones as fluid as possible, the m8 is gonna satisfy that need as much as possible. It is the closest thing in terms of speed to the nexus 5, which in my experience never misses a beat.

The m8 camera is stellar. How many people on fb are gonna tell you your white balance is slightly off and say you should have gone with the s5?

The screen on the m8?? Best one I've seen on a phone. Haven't seen the s5 screen in person but I have a hard time believing anyone its any better. Maybe just as good.

To each their own sir. No one here should have a say in your decision. But since you're basically crying for help and I'm a phone geek, this is my opinion. So pick a phone, any phone. As long as its the m8.

B0WIE likes this.

Global Posts
    1,962 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP B4 JB/Franco M5

I have a Note 3 which I love. But if I had to choose between the M8 or the s5, I would choose the M8.

Sent from my Death Note

Do you think HTC sense enhances the HTC one m8? I think maybe stock android was too vanilla for me with the HTC? I don't know. I just don't want to be stuck with a mistake for a year and a half.
    I like Sense a lot. So, for me it does enhance. As far as being stuck with a mistake for a year and a half, I think you already answered your own question when you posted this thread, and specifically when you said the S5 is "so slow". If it were the right phone for you, you probably wouldn't be looking back. The S5 is supposed to be better based on sales volume and reviews, but, once again, the best phone is an HTC sleeper.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Yeah. I don't know. I'm annoyed with the situation. I wish it were easier. Or I had both! Does anyone know when the other colors for the m8 are going be available?

Yeah. I don't know. I'm annoyed with the situation. I wish it were easier. Or I had both! Does anyone know when the other colors for the m8 are going be available?
    Oh boy. You're gonna get yourself into a whole new battle asking that question.

Global Posts
    1,627 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM 4.5 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by mchockeyvette27 View Post
    I'm gonna focus on this for a minute. To me, slow is a key word here. If you're anything like me and you like your phones as fluid as possible, the m8 is gonna satisfy that need as much as possible. It is the closest thing in terms of speed to the nexus 5, which in my experience never misses a beat.

The m8 camera is stellar. How many people on fb are gonna tell you your white balance is slightly off and say you should have gone with the s5?

The screen on the m8?? Best one I've seen on a phone. Haven't seen the s5 screen in person but I have a hard time believing anyone its any better. Maybe just as good.

To each their own sir. No one here should have a say in your decision. But since you're basically crying for help and I'm a phone geek, this is my opinion. So pick a phone, any phone. As long as its the m8.

I agree with this post. I want my phone to be smooth and fluid every time I use it. Not "slow". The camera is actually really good for most situations, which for me is a very small percentage of what I use my phone for. I personally chose the M8 and I am not second guessing my decision. I am very happy with my M8.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk
    Yesterday is but a dream, Tomorrow is but a vision, but Today well lived makes every Yesterday a dream of happiness and every Tomorrow a vision of hope.
    Thanked by:
    B0WIE likes this.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

I think I may be going to att tomorrow. Maybe I will just get an LG g2 lmao

I think I may be going to att tomorrow. Maybe I will just get an LG g2 lmao
    just get nokia lol
    has the best camera on all cell phones

I agree with what the others have said. The camera is more than adequate for most situations one would encounter. The GS5 and 5s cameras may be "better" on paper, but considering most people use cell phone cameras to document their meals and other relatively pointless things, the One's camera is stellar. I very much doubt many people are using cell phone cameras to print posters. Overall user experience and build quality on the HTC One M8 have been consistently beating the GS5, regardless of what stats on paper are saying.

OP keep this in mind.... the longer you own the S5 and the more apps you instal on your S5 THE SLOOOWER AND SLOOOOOOWER it will get. same with the phone freezing. it will happen more and more over time.

the HTC runs buttery smooth.

The black space at the bottom of the M8 bothers you? How could you stand the bottom bezel of the iPhone? That thing drives me crazy.

I've been same, ordered M8 3 times and sent back each time. Couldn't live with it. Looked at S5 and I really do feel it puts the M8 screen to shame. However, the build and Touchwiz are reasons why I won't buy that. What I've done, is to go sim only, keep M7 and wait to see what iPhone 6 has to offer.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Well... The deal has been sealed.

I woke up this morning to and reached for the gs5 and hit the power and home buttons for about 3 minutes and the screen wouldn't turn on. The buttons lit up but no screen. Annoying. Couldn't live with that for 2 years. And the lag is ridiculous. I just wish I didn't have to pay the stupid restocking fee.

Well... The deal has been sealed.

I woke up this morning to and reached for the gs5 and hit the power and home buttons for about 3 minutes and the screen wouldn't turn on. The buttons lit up but no screen. Annoying. Couldn't live with that for 2 years. And the lag is ridiculous. I just wish I didn't have to pay the stupid restocking fee.
    Sounds like you have a defective phone. You should be able to get a replacement without having to pay restocking fee if defective

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Well. I decided to go back to the HTC. I am sticking with it for At least 18 months. I do like the way it feels in the hand. And sense is actually way more to my tastes than touchwiz. Feels good to be back !!!
    Thanked by:
    ugxvibe and freddyttt like this.

Well. I decided to go back to the HTC. I am sticking with it for At least 18 months. I do like the way it feels in the hand. And sense is actually way more to my tastes than touchwiz. Feels good to be back !!!
    I knew that's what you'd do.

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts

I have the note 3 and it's time for my free upgrade. I'm on the same dilemma. I also had the iPhone 4, 4s, and 5 in the past. But I also had the galaxy s3 and 4. I never had an Htc phone (wasn't interested). But seriously I have an iPod touch 5 to go with my big note 3. I use my iPod a lot more than my note3. I just use it to call or text. Lol. I'm thinking going with the iPhone 5s and in the holiday season getting the 6. The iPhone has no problems and easier to use. My note 3 stays in my purse all day vs the iPhone I'm constantly on it. Idk wat u should do. But I would say either get the iPhone 6 when it comes out or get neither. Both phones in my comparison seems to me as a joke... The gs5 got wacky gimmicky bloatware attached and the m8 has that annoying black bar that takes up space. Why not the nexus 5? Like I said, I would stick with an iPhone.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Like the original poster, I had decisions to make after leaving Apple. I came from the iPhone 5 and switched after iOS7 or "Bubbles" came out. I did not like the changes in that OS. In addition, I got tired of waiting for Apple to increase the screen size. So I switched to Android and my first was the Galaxy S4. That was my "trainer" for learning Android and as I used to phone I discovered what features I wanted in my next Android device. I don't have many complaints against Samsung. It really was a good phone. One problem was the size of the speaker and the placement. I use my phone as an alarm clock each morning and I have slept through it on occasion. That has NOT happened with the M8, nor do I expect it to. Loud, is an understatement. In addition, on the S4 I used to have to cup the speaker sometimes to make it louder when using some apps. With the speakers facing me on the M8, that is no longer necessary.

And while the screen on the S4 is beautiful and colorful and all that, it is until you go outside. Then, it is almost a complete washout. With the brightness all the way up it is still difficult for me to see the screen. I missed so many outside shots by not being able to clearly see what I was taking a picture of. Not so with the M8. Very easy to see even in direct sunlight. It's beautiful and visible inside as well as outside and I use my phone outside a lot.

Those two things, sound and screen, made me start looking at other phones. I researched quite a bit (much of it here - thanks to all of you who post on this site - very educational) and made a number of visits to stores to try out different devices. Yes, I looked at the new S5. In my opinion, and it is only my opinion, the HTC One M8 stands out from the crowd in so many ways. It is of high quality, beautiful, comfortable to hold, well designed, and has an easy to use UI. For those leaving the Apple ecosystem, this is probably the best device in making the transition.

Is it perfect? No, but what phone is? The M8 is simply heads and shoulders above the rest. If it is not the best phone out there, it has to be in the top two.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast