Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default AT&T No-Contract vs. Unlocked

HTC site has the Unlocked M8 for $700. I assume this will run fine with all capabilities on AT&T.
    Amazon has the AT&T, no-contract, for $650.
    Is there any advantage to having the unlocked from HTC? Just that there's no carrier bloat-ware?

Default Re: AT&T No-Contract vs. Unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by blackdogAC View Post
    HTC site has the Unlocked M8 for $700. I assume this will run fine with all capabilities on AT&T.
    Amazon has the AT&T, no-contract, for $650.
    Is there any advantage to having the unlocked from HTC? Just that there's no carrier bloat-ware?
    The unlocked version is Sim unlocked, no carrier bloatware and works great on AT&T, no issues.
    10 reasons why you should buy your HTC One M8 unlocked and direct from HTC | Android Central

And its factory unlocked...the att no contract is locked to att still.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Worth the extra $50 for unlocked?

I'd say so faster updates that way. Though I am usually far too taken with pretty numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by blackdogAC View Post
    Worth the extra $50 for unlocked?
    When I got mine they were 649 from Htc so the price was only $10 more than without contract from AT&T at the time so it really wasn't a concern. Now with a fifty dollar difference it's worthy of more thought. For me I would have still bought the unlocked version I think. All my previous AT&T phones came with quite a few preloaded apps, most of which can only be disabled and not uninstalled. No big deal either way really but if I don't want them then I don't want them at all. Secondly, my previous AT&T phones aways came with AT&T address book. That thing drove me nuts because it's embedded in the people/contact app and couldn't be removed, turned off or disabled. Not sure if it's on the AT&T M8 but I wasn't taking the chance and got the unlocked version. Lastly, I hope that since I'm not reliant on a carrier for updates that they will come just a bit faster.

Not sure if this is relevant this time around (not sure if the M8 includes free cloud storage), but AT&T phones generally have not included the 50GB free Dropbox or Google Drive offers that sometimes come with flagships.

That said, you should have no problems getting the AT&T version sim-unlocked if you pay full price for it up front.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I'm not sure that android updates are going to be that helpful from now on; I'm kind of losing confidence in Google. Frankly I wish I could get the M8 with JB.

Quote Originally Posted by mchockeyvette27 View Post
    And its factory unlocked...the att no contract is locked to att still.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    This is true but usually if you own the phone fully.. AT&T has no problem giving you the unlock code. Just takes a phone call.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.