AT&T No-Contract vs. Unlocked

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
HTC site has the Unlocked M8 for $700. I assume this will run fine with all capabilities on AT&T.
Amazon has the AT&T, no-contract, for $650.
Is there any advantage to having the unlocked from HTC? Just that there's no carrier bloat-ware?

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Worth the extra $50 for unlocked?

When I got mine they were 649 from Htc so the price was only $10 more than without contract from AT&T at the time so it really wasn't a concern. Now with a fifty dollar difference it's worthy of more thought. For me I would have still bought the unlocked version I think. All my previous AT&T phones came with quite a few preloaded apps, most of which can only be disabled and not uninstalled. No big deal either way really but if I don't want them then I don't want them at all. Secondly, my previous AT&T phones aways came with AT&T address book. That thing drove me nuts because it's embedded in the people/contact app and couldn't be removed, turned off or disabled. Not sure if it's on the AT&T M8 but I wasn't taking the chance and got the unlocked version. Lastly, I hope that since I'm not reliant on a carrier for updates that they will come just a bit faster.

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if this is relevant this time around (not sure if the M8 includes free cloud storage), but AT&T phones generally have not included the 50GB free Dropbox or Google Drive offers that sometimes come with flagships.

That said, you should have no problems getting the AT&T version sim-unlocked if you pay full price for it up front.

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure that android updates are going to be that helpful from now on; I'm kind of losing confidence in Google. Frankly I wish I could get the M8 with JB.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
And its factory unlocked...the att no contract is locked to att still.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

This is true but usually if you own the phone fully.. AT&T has no problem giving you the unlock code. Just takes a phone call.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae