Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By B0WIE
  • 2 Post By Phil Nickinson
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    2,661 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Default Gunmetal Gray vs. Silver slippery-ness

Has anyone with a gunmetal gray model every compared to the silver model to see if it felt as slippery? I've heard that the silver model has more of a texture on it as opposed to the smoothness of the gunmetal gray. Just curious if the two models felt any different. I have the gunmetal gray, but haven't played with the silver yet.

Default Re: Gunmetal Gray vs. Silver slippery-ness

I have a silver m7 and it is too slippery. I keep a tpu case on it because I am afraid of dropping it.

Sent from my One X using AC Forums mobile app

The Silver and the Gold are both slightly less slippery. More traction due to the matte vs brushed and polished texture.

Sent from my 831C using AC Forums mobile app

I have the gun metal and after you use it for a few days it feels WAY less slippery than new or if you clean it. Using it all day your natural hand oil and finger prints supply plenty of traction. I've noticed that. The gun metal color is just too beautiful.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by kingvanimal View Post
    I have the gun metal and after you use it for a few days it feels WAY less slippery than new or if you clean it. Using it all day your natural hand oil and finger prints supply plenty of traction. I've noticed that. The gun metal color is just too beautiful.

^This.
    Also, I ended up putting a $4 "skin" on the back and not only does it offer wonderful grip, but it makes the brushed aluminum look even better with a slight glossy sheen. Gives an already gorgeous phone a real "wow" factor. Tried a clear case and it made the phone look plastic whereas the skin still keeps the metal look.
    Habiib likes this.
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    4,880 Global Posts

For the first time EVER, I'm using a case.
    omgitsjoe and Jdane07 like this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    2,661 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Thanks for the tip. I guess I just need to stop swapping my SIM to other phones and use it for a few days in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Nickinson View Post
    I can't bring myself to use a case yet. Although I saw a thread here that someone had a case that snapped on the back and it looked exactly like factory minus the HTC logo.

Well seeing how you beat to sh*t the review unit, it doesn't surprise me. Lol

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I guess I just need to stop swapping my SIM to other phones and use it for a few days in a row.

I can't bring myself to use a case yet. Although I saw a thread here that someone had a case that snapped on the back and it looked exactly like factory minus the HTC logo.
    Yes most deff. I clean my screen often but wipe the back every few days. You can't even see finger prints unless you hold it in a bright light and inspect. The phone is far less slippery. Now of course it could slide out of your pocket if you are on the couch etc...

Why use a case for the first 6 months if HTC will send you out brand new M8 if you crack your screen.

o2k

I don't know about gunmetal, but the silvery one is not slippery, from my own experience.

Global Posts
    832 Global Posts

Haven't used a case since I got it 2 weeks ago and haven't been close to dropping it. I will order a diztronic soon probably

Global Posts
    4,449 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Android 6.0 (stock)

Phil, any word on when the black or silver ones will be coming to AT&T? Thanks.
    Banned

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

I guess you don't use iPhones much then....

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts

Same with me I have never used a case with any of my other phones but decided to use a case with the m8

I instantly noticed the gunmetal grey M8 was LESS slippery than my silver M7.

I think it's the surface of the gun metal grey that lets my fingers feel somewhat tacky when there's any moisture which is more often than not.

I noticed it immediately that it was going to be an issue to hold onto this phone. That said, the Diztronic Matte Black TPU case fixed that for me. It's much easier to grip, has a nice matte finish, and adds very little bulk or weight to the device. I'm not a case guy by any stretch, but this solved the issue for me.

I must have sweaty hands. I can put the gun metal version on my hand and almost hold my hand and the phone vertical and it won't slip out, maybe like a 75% slope. With finger prints on the back of course which are hardly noticeable.

I must have sweaty hands. I can put the gun metal version on my hand and almost hold my hand and the phone vertical and it won't slip out, maybe like a 75% slope. With finger prints on the back of course which are hardly noticeable.

I feel like I could use it without a case, but the fact that there's times when my hands are dry and I could easily drop it makes me not want to take the chance. Gorgeous phone and feels great in the hand when you can get a good grip on it, though.